Aircrafts path reservation is far to early

Hi Devs

As for now, an aircraft reservers the whole path from its beginning to the very end of the route. That results in other aircrafts further down the path being forced to wait for this aircraft at an junction. Even then, if the first aircraft is miles away.

When the airport grows, so do the distances. With remote stands and one ways even more. As I’m sure you will improve the pathing system for aircrafts anyway, I’m not going to do a bug report (as it’s not a bug, but only a simplified system).

I just like to ask if there is already a timeline for reworking the pathing system for aircrafts so I can get a thrill of anticipation for it. :wink:

Best regards

Waiting till dawn for the other aircrafts to pass :wink:

There has already been some work done on this and it has gotten a lot better than what it was, but yes, there is still work to be done on it.

I’d suggest sending it in as a bug report with Path Finding issues. Every save the devs get will bring us closer to not getting these issues in the future.

I don’t see a reason to send it as a bug report as I don’t believe it to be a bug. So I think, Fredrik and Olof are aware of it, as they coded it that way. Unless Fredrik or Olof tell me otherwise. That’s why I’m posting in the support section. :wink:

I don’t know how much of a change it would be in the source code for path finding, but if the aircrafts only would reserve the next ~25 tiles (~200m, comparing to the runway) of their route that would already be a big improvement. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally agree with you! This is a big issue for some taxiway layout. Especially if you have long straight taxiways, the reservations can cause significant delays to the medium stands as they require pushback trucks.

Fully agree
+1

@Fredrik has done considerable work on this resolving pathway allocation being too far in advance. With the introduction of the ECP system those advances a few of us have noted around here @EG0611 I’m including you as I know like myself have noted the behaviour not consistent with what it was. Hopefully as they develop the new system we will once again begin to see the improvements that were developed using the previous method.

1 Like

Yea, I have noticed that. Not sure why, no logic has been changed only the code architecture. If it doesn’t work out we might just revert that part back to the old system. For aircraft there are minimal performance benefits anyway.

2 Likes

Could the game maybe have a “path” layer that can be enabled, so an Airport CEO can see a path reserved by a plane?

Why can’t planes use the same path logic like cars? All the ground vehicles Always line up nicely.

Because cars drive on the right side. Aircraft can use a taxiway both ways.

… except a player uses one way nodes. :wink:

Any idea to mix both systems for aircraft paths?

Maybe path reservation could stop at the first junction before an one way node? Maybe (if easier to implement) you could introduce an additional one way node to stop path reservation. For visual design it could be one with only arrows (no “no entry” text) to mark the beginning of an one way path?

I think this would also result in an big improvement.