Airline passenger seating configuration and its effect on the airport

Hello,

As you probably know, each and any type of aircraft used in the world could have different seating options. Some airlines would use maximum capacity (like WizzAir with 180 seats in A320), other would have the same A320 configured differently (Lufthansa seats 168 in one class, Finnair 165, Qatar has dedicated business seats and three configs, C12Y120, C12Y132, C12Y153, and business A320 would have a low tenths most likely).
Will that be recreated in game?

I’d say it could be quite easy to model I guess.

Cheers,
Adam

For me, it only makes sense, if there different check-In desks for Eco, Business and First Class. In my opinion, there is No difference between the pax fees

maybe you can only have business and first when your airport is ready, like you need te have certain facilities like the check in desks and bussines/first class lounges

Could be a nice detail in the game. Some airlines attracts more business people while others attracts families or students. This could effect the way you should plan your airport. Should you get a lounge or a playground?

…Or a terminal super far away with no facilities whatsoever for low cost airlines. And passengers better walk to the plane too rather than taking a bus or using a jetway.

Bad experience? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You bet, several actually. For example, once from Faro, Portugal to London, UK, they made us wait for 40 minutes outside by the plane when it was like 40°C outside. Apparently they do this to then make more money on drinks during the flight.

Also, in Copenhagen you have to walk aaaaaaaall the way across the main terminal and then aaaall the way to another small terminal/gates area where you can board your Easyjet or Ryanair flight.

2 Likes

Agree, I’d like to see airlines have different clientele that effects the type of people in your airport (and thus services offered, types of shops desired etc). Only thing I can’t think of, at the moment anyways, is a good way to balance it so later in the game it doesn’t become just luxury or business (etc) airlines.

To the OP, I woldn’t mind different airlines generating different number of pax per flight, even varying like with Qatar if it isn’t too hard to program.

Currently, each aircraft has a max number of pax (based on the real life model) and for each flight a random number of tickets are sold. We are planning to add external factors as to how many tickets are sold, for example during holidays or certain days of the week you would see more or less passengers (depending on what flights you have planned of course).

Since we also, for each passenger, simulate everything that’s stated in a passport (name, age, gender, height, nationality and stuff like that) we’ll implement ratios so that passenger arriving on, for example a flight from France, would have a larger number of french passengers de boarding. This means that it would be no problem to mark certain destinations as vacation destinations, or party destinations, and then model the clientele going there accordingly. However, this is quite deep into the overall behavioral operation of the airport and while it’s not difficult its pretty far down on the list.

Great ideas though!

7 Likes

I really do like the idea of simulating demographics on each flight (as you’ve said, vacation and party destinations, maybe business destinations as well). Having the right mix of passengers for each flight would be great - a business flight to Milan or Frankfurt or London would have more suits, the flight to Ibiza would be drunken 20 year olds and so on. Really pleased to hear that this is in the mix! Weighting the passengers to their origin and destination nationalities also makes things very realistic. I think this will work brilliantly.

1 Like

Drunk 20-year-olds would be fun to see walking around the airport. Going from side to side almost more sideways than forward. :smile:

Wouldn’t be realistic tho :confused:

1 Like

I take it then that we choose a country location for our airport? You wouldn’t set France as a holiday destination if you are already in France. And further destinations would only be available once your airport has the facilities to get the airlines that fly there.

I think it’s important that the airlines are demanding and actually sometimes a hassle to deal with. At first you would only get the budget, regional airlines as they are about quantity over quality. Then the bigger, trans-Atlantic / trans-Pacific airlines would come later only when they feel your airport is good enough to handle the demand and quality expected. This includes first class lounges, good restaurants as well as technical requirements such as large capacity security and large enough runways, gates etc.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.