Airport CEO Alpha 29 released

29.6-8 - Brand new empty airport start:

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
i7-8700k @ 5.0GHz
Resolution 2560x1440 144Hz
Quality: Fantastic (all effects enabled in game)
42% CPU
25% GPU
Vsync off as I use Gsync

1. Laptop PC
    Cpu: i5-4210u 1.7GHz-2.4GHz
    Gpu: nvidia geforce 840m
    Empty airport
    Vsync turned off:
    Cpu load 100%, Gpu load 75%
    Vsync turned on:
    Cpu load 100%, Gpu load 50%

2. Desktop PC
    Cpu: i3-2120 3.3GHz
    Gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 1050
    Empty airport
    Cpu load 100%, Gpu load can’t be measuring.
    Vsync does not any effect.

Trying with 640x480, fast graphics quality. These parameters doesnot affect to cpu load.

Exploring process, found this:

2 Likes

Brand new airport,

Cpu @ 55% on an i7 8700k @5.0 ghz
GTX 970 @ 35%
vsync on
resolution 1920x1080
quality: fantastic

CPU 100% on new build and save game

1920x1080 pixels, windowed mode
i5 6600K @4.3Ghz
16Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
1070 @40% load
Vsync enabled
Quality: Fantastic

I noticed that I experience a ‘freeze’ for 2 seconds every minute with my saved game.

Macbook Pro 2017
2,9 GHz Intel Core i7
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Resolution: 1680x1050
Graphic quality: Good
Graphic device used: Automatic (no other option anymore, used to be an option to choose… :thinking:)

I have a separate graphic card and an on-board, in the past it was recommended to use the on-board instead of the Intel as it would be more stable. As it is now I cannot even choose and cannot see what GPU is used.

When I start the game the menu alone needs 400 - 450% CPU directly in the beginning, then after a minute it drops to 5 - 15% CPU and stays steady around that figure.
Starting up a new airport, done nothing: 400 - 450% CPU
After 1-2 mins it drops to around 390 - 400% CPU and when doing nothing it is steady at that rate
Activity directly boost it up to 430 - 470% CPU

Loading a save game is around 250 - 350% CPU
A ‘small airport’ with 4 medium stands and 4 GA stand, 1 runway, 8 check-in, 4 medium security, baggage system running, no shops: 480 - 600% CPU
After a few mins of gameplay and doing nothing it fluctuates between 400 - 550% CPU depending on the game activity, but can occasionally drop to 130 - 150% CPU

There are 46 - 48 threads used.

Ummmm… I’m guessing this incorrect. Did you mean across all cores in relation to one?

% can only phisically go as far as 100%. You cannot use more than a 100% unless you add more cores, but then why not use the average across all of them?

Mac’s report across cores and threads and not a general average. So that is correct per C/T.

2 Likes

We’ve moved offices now and are back online investigating this high CPU utilization problem! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

ACEO-9731
Small commercial aircraft occasionally get stuck taxing to the gate on arrival, leading to extensive delays(scheduled-9:45 pm, actual-2:40 am)

Started a test airport today to test pathfinding in a variety of different situations. Logged a few this morning and am working on a few other scenarios to put the simulation through to see how it handles it.

2 Likes

Hey all, here’s an update on the high CPU load: We’ve found two issues, one is resolved with Alpha 29.6-9 and the other one needs more work which we’ll look at tomorrow.

Believe it or not but the main menu is more demanding to run than you’d think, the flying aircraft is rendered in real time and that means a lot of particle systems to generate those beautiful contrails. But there’s no point in rendering this scene in a higher frame rate than 100 FPS which is why we’ve limited it to that. In some cases it appears that the high CPU load from the start menu could travel over to the game world.

The second problem is a GPU bottleneck issue, there’s something wrong with the rendering of the terrain texture shader. We’ll be looking into optimizing this the coming days.

This is currently only deployed on the experimental branch!

Release notes - Airport CEO - Version Alpha 29.6-9

Improvement

• [ACEO-9709] - FPS limited to 100 in start menu to lower CPU load
9 Likes

The pathfinder for airplanes still likes to set your half airport on hold for 1 plane. Can we please get some kind of zone-blocks or something? Like with train-tracks? so, a new reservation path will be generated from each block edge in stead of a reservation of half the map.

1 Like

It was a lot better around V25 I know. Fredrik made some serious implements with it that seem to have slowly eroded away. Would love them back too.

Oh, I found a nice bug; Will build on an empty field later on;

When you build a security station, in a staff room block, and then remove the security station, the staff room is no longer a complete staff room block; since the game will remove the staff zone too. From that moment the staff room does not function anymore, lol!

Wasn’t a request dropped recently where it removed the function of the removal of security stand removing the zoning underneath it?

Yeah, it’s deteriorated over time due to various performance improvements and changes. We’ll look into getting it back up to speed as soon as possible as I agree that it does have a serious impact on airport operation performance.

7 Likes

I’m playing on the default branch and since the 29-6-8 update on that branch, the general gameplay has been laggier, with occasional freezes that last a few seconds (not autosave as I turned that off). This didn’t happen when 29-4-4 was on the default branch. I hope this can be resolved.

Average FPS has also been lower and CPU usage has increased.

Fredrik has been out sick for the beginning of this week and so the texture shader issue is currently on hold (which is what we believe is causing this performance problem) but we’ll address this for the remainder of this week. I’m currently working on several remote stand related bugs and other passenger and vehicle behavior issues. Alexander has already become productive and have as a welcome present implemented a medium sized information disk (which we soon also will enable a behavior for):

We’ll deploy a new experimental update tomorrow with these changes! :slight_smile:

21 Likes