Airport CEO Alpha 30 released

• [ACEO-11780 ] - Medium stands are loaded as small on older saves

Just did a quick test on an old map save, but (unfortunately) it didn’t work :cry:. Just another good reason to rebuilt it in the new version with multi-floors when that is released :relaxed:

1 Like

I am having the same problem, when I load the save game on the internal multi floors version sometimes the stands stay as medium stands and some change.

Hey everyone! It’s been a little quiet here (and we’ve been a bit absent due to wanting to focus 100 percent on development) so I thought I’d spend the first Easter day holiday with a quick update on what’s been going on behind the curtain. A longer version of this will be dropped in the dev blog on Tuesday (since Monday is also a holiday).

The results of Fredrik’s effort was deployed yesterday on the internal branch for testing, i.e. the first version of the multi floor (and soon to be multi terminal) path finding and person behavior adaptations. We’re now at the point where you can freely build and design multiple story airports and have passengers and staff interact with objects on various floors and path find across the airport. This also includes all vehicles and baggage. What’s still left to do is to squash the many bugs that will arise from this update in a series of new updates for the internal branch, and then we have the last leg of the multiple floor feature update which includes visual work on how to represent the different levels and how to represent passengers and employees moving on stairs and escalators.

Meanwhile in Croatia, Alexander has completed the implementation of the localization system and the game will initially be professionally translated to German the coming week. The system is complete but as we get the translated text back we will have to do a lot of UI testing to make sure strings are correctly represented throughout the user interface. We’ve gotten a lot of response from German players who want to help out with testing so once we’re confident in the system it will be merged into the current internal version and tested along with multiple floors and…

… catering, which is also more or less completed and ready to be tested on the internal branch (which will happen later today). Since it’s now getting so crowded on the stands we decided to a long side catering implement a new service vehicle movement system which is tethered to the aircraft type, meaning different configurations for where baggage is transitioned, where the catering truck parks for the galley door and so forth (we’ve tried to be as realistic as possible with some limitations). With catering being in the wild we’ll start off next week with overhauling the weather system and then start work on de-icing, @Jettuh has already developed the de-icing truck and I’m extremely excited to implement it!

So you are correct in stating that there are a lot of big features coming up very soon, at the same time, which is something that requires a little bit of planning and a proper deployment strategy - which we’ll get into more on Tuesday.

As for the experimental branch and the current version, we’re going to evaluate it’s health next week and see if -9 can be deployed to the default branch. With catering and multiple floor out for testing we’ll make sure to take a look at some bug fixing patches for the experimental branch too, but since the new internal version is so far ahead of the experimental version it doesn’t make much sense to start a new serious round of bug fixing on code that still relies on an old grid system, a lot of old none-refactored code and lacks several important features.

We’ll be here in the periphery all weekend, but also enjoy the Easter break we have here in Sweden. Happy holidays! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve seen this. There might be an easy fix for it but at some point we have to realize the fact that one label that comes with this being an early access game is that some parts of a save can break due to changes like these. We simply can’t afford to spend too much time dwelling in the past, although I agree that it’s a bit of an annoying bug.

22 Likes

Thank you for the update @Olof! Have a nice weekend. :grinning:

2 Likes

Happy Easter!:egg::rabbit:

2 Likes

There might be an easy fix for it but at some point we have to realize the fact that one label that comes with this being an early access game is that some parts of a save can break due to changes like these. We simply can’t afford to spend too much time dwelling in the past, although I agree that it’s a bit of an annoying bug.

Totally agree, there are much more important parts that needs your attention. Going forward is the action to take!

Happy holidays!

3 Likes

Might be time to spam you guys with ACAPS documents (like it wasn’t already) :smiley:

1 Like

Just a quick update here, Alpha 30.1-9 will go live for default tomorrow with a few minor fixes to basic issues reported over the last week and some other logging stuff (full change log will come). Currently working on multiple floor path-finding bugs, localization, catering bugs and de-icing stuff - dev blog will be pushed forward until Friday since we, as per usual… have so much to do!

More info tomorrow! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm… the day after tomorrow. :thinking:

1 Like

Good evening!

After a slight delay we’ve now deployed Alpha 30.1-9 to the default branch! Below is the change log for this small but important change, and the dev blog is still set for publication on Friday (today).

Release notes - Airport CEO - Version Alpha 30.1-9

Improvement

• [ACEO-12187] - New employee tool sprite added
  • [ACEO-12219] - Cost for expanding airport added to funds after completing the regional airport phase
  • [ACEO-12267] - Better exception logging for coroutine execution to uncover issue with ACEO-10338

Bug

• [ACEO-10955] - Bulldozing terminal foundation returns incorrect funds value
  • [ACEO-11780] - Medium stands are loaded as small on older saves
  • [ACEO-12050] - Various spelling mistakes in tutorial

Also, I cleaned up this thread with a few responses that I didn’t feel related to the immediate development of Alpha 30 so here’s another friendly reminder to stay on topic for this thread, please! :heart: :airplane:

7 Likes

Yep… that’s exactly where my first playthrough of the tutorial ended. (750.000 bucks?? :open_mouth:)
Can’t wait to check out the new employee tool sprite… whatever this is.:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

@Olof I’m not entirely sure what the new employee tool sprite does, but I feel like the employee’s are doing much better with tasks and getting to them much faster!! Love it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the sprite staff?

Broom, wrench, clipboard etc :wink:

5 Likes

Where is this :grin:

No it’s not 3D. Like our community leader @EG0611 said, it’s “3D feeling” :joy:

@Jettuh designs in 3D and then it’s translated into 2D. Don’t know if every single object has been designed in 3D, but vehicles are definitely 3D by original design

1 Like

Probably just very conincidental unfortunately… although if that’s your end result then that’s something good at least! :heart_eyes:

All objects are designed in 3D using 3Ds max, then rendered top-down in a high quality resolution and sent to us. We play a lot with the perspective however, for example the de-icing truck will have a lot of 3D space movements and as you know all light poles are essentially 3D objects. When we started out with this project we actually began in 3D but in the end decided to go with 2D as we didn’t have a very large 3D design skill-set. We’ve moved beyond that point now and in fact a lot of our work is right now being quite complicated due to the 2D form factor… but in the end we’ve arrived at a pretty unique art style. We started out leaning towards being a Prison Architect art style copy with a somewhat 2.5D design but today I feel we’ve left that and become a truly top down management game.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Is this the new deicing truck :wink:

@Jettuh