Airport CEO DLC's (Cargo Feature and Historic Times Feature)

Cargo has been confirmed as not in version 1 of the game

1 Like

I leave this one here:

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not sure a DLC would be that profitable for the game, as the amount of players isn’t that high. Also, adding a DLC to a game that still doesn’t have a huge amount of content would be risky as people looking to buy the game may be turned away if they see they need to buy add ons for $10 to experience the “full game”. I don’t it would be worth it for the Devs, cargo maybe, but not for too much money.

3 Likes

Usually after some months, the game will be sold including some DLCs as a package for a good price, so I think that wouldn’t be too big of a problem, later people will probably just buy those packages.
Of course the game without DLCs should still be a “complete” game and early players not be forced to buy something to play properly. But I don’t see any risk of that, we’re still quite a bit away from the infamous version 1.0.
Something like cargo is a typical DLC because even without, the game as itself would already be perfectly playable. Something like immigration on the other hand has to be in the game in my opinion.

1 Like

The problem I have with an Historic DLC is how far do you want to go?

If you just want some old aircraft, but they will function the exact same as modern aircraft it’s just a reskin. If you want to also make an old airport, you need new models for every object in the game, which is rather time consuming and again, just a reskin. I can see how a cargo terminal will be available addition in terms of DownLoadable Content, as it will will be additional content expanding my current game. Having different styles of objects doesn’t expand the game, it just adds some variety.

Cargo DLC/update is a definite yes but I’m not sure about the historic one. I know many people here want it, and that is fair, so I suppose something similar to how Space Engineers has these quarterly micro-DLC’s for a few euros with a few different object styles could be a thing.

2 Likes

+1 for Cargo DLC; I had the same idea. Ideally with more (and better!) cargo-only conveyor belts (probably 2*2 cells each too?).

2 Likes

I don’t think cargo travels on belts? They are generally pre-packed and then shipped in aviation containers to the airport I think

2 Likes

That is what I thought

It seems to depend on the age of the hub. The newer ones seems to all be super-automated - InteliBuild - Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal - Operations - YouTube (great video)

Post/Parcel delivery hubs are different but still almost entirely automated/conveyors - Inside UPS Worldport - YouTube

1 Like

Cargo also includes parcels and these are indeed handled via complex conveyor belts.
By these belts, the packages are sorted so they can finally be packed in the correct container for the repsective flight.

1 Like

Interesting. Post/Parcel hubs are somewhat different of course, as they function as a distribution center AND shipping center in one.

It would be very nice to see a Post/Parcel hub in AirportCEO, although that might be rather complex. A simple system of ULD-type freight containers being unloaded from the aircraft, stored on ‘transfer pads’ until a contractor comes to pick them up could work in AirportCEO-terms.

1 Like

This happens, but only the large forwarders bring pre-built units resp. do the break-down themselves. Thru-Untits (which leave the airport un-opened as they arrived) are also used on transit.
Fun fact: a large amount of mid-range cargo-flights are actually trucks operated by airlines.
Smaller agents or even private persons bring their boxes and they will be either loaded on pallets in the belly of the ground handler or the irline itself does the build-up of the ULD.
It all depends on the contracts between airline, ground handler, and cargo agents, and also on the size of the cargo airport.
And on the fact that cargo don’t vote and cargo don’t vomit.

1 Like

AFAIK these are only used in automated cargo warehouses to store the cargo. Mostly they use carts.

Cargo warehouses need to be included in a Cargo DLC. The ground handler make a lot by storage fees - specially with special cargo: cooled (perishables), expensive (valuables), live animals (stables etc) and their special services (security, customs clearance, veterinaries…).

Fun fact: ropes and nets are hollow to save weights. In some countries in South America, the storage of the loading accessories are guarded, to prevent drug smugglers from filling the hollow spaces with cocaine etc.

1 Like

It could be interesting if the historic DLC includes a historic development from the first Zeppelins to the modern airline industry.
Not sure… this could be a different game

1 Like

A simple system of ULD-type freight containers being unloaded from the aircraft, stored on ‘transfer pads’ until a contractor comes to pick them up could work in AirportCEO-terms.

The problem is that from a gameplay perspective that doesn’t add much. Just a location for storage and then connect some stuff up like stands etc. Maybe another vehicle type (forklift). If you require the player use conveyors, that gives them something extra to do, and much of the logic for that has already been coded. Bonus points if there are different types of freight that need to be handled differently to produce different types of gameplay.

1 Like

I have to agree that for cargo to be worth it there has to be a gameplay purpose that might have to leave reality behind.

I would want vehicle offloading bays from the public side and then loading on to a conveyor and then packaged up before being dispatched to a plane.

I am still gutted that I don’t get to design my own catering and waste disposal facilities as think that would have added so good depth and variety as well as optimisation benefits.

3 Likes

A simple cargo solution, not too complicated:

• Requires a cargo building which will be delivered with cargo by external trucks (similar to the catering) and also gets pick ups by external trucks (similar to trash depot)

• Some large aircrafts will bring ULD pallets with cargo (max 3-5)

• Some large aircrafts will load ULD pallets with cargo (max 3-5)

• After the normal baggage ULD unload/load, those cargo ULDs will be unloaded/loaded

• the ULDs will be handled just by normal baggage trucks, no additional vehicles are needed

• in a later progress, separate cargo planes could be added which accept only remote stands. Those will carry only cargo ULDs and do not require any other passenger services.

Here as example, the second baggage truck with ULD pallets is waiting until the normal luggage is loaded.

5 Likes

@andyc - not trying to be negative here (really!), but your proposal, while realistic and certainly sound, isn’t “fun”, as in, it adds no new gameplay mechanics. From a players perspective it’s simply: put down another building. You don’t even get a new Vehicle type!
Also, the devs have already said elsewhere they’re not keen on doing that without those buildings adding new mechanics (like the de-icing platform).
To make it worthwhile you need to add a “gimmick” - something that makes it different/interesting from the current stuff. This could be conveyor belts, or requiring finite (rather than the current infinite) storage be built/accessible, or a customs checking process, etc.

1 Like

Well, his name is no fun. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But conveyor belts wouldn’t add a new system either right? It would be just like the current baggage but the sprite would be a box.

It would be checked-in somewhere on a station, be transported over conveyor belts through some scanning stations and then loaded into an ULD on a baggagebay-type structure.

1 Like