[Already Implemented] Papers Please! Manual & Automated Passport/ID/Boarding Pass booth

omfg yes

You still need to show a boarding pass to enter, even in domestic/Schengen. The automated machine makes sense in such circumstances. Most airports have them. For international, passport control still requires human presence.

When I get back from work in NYC and land at Schiphol (Amsterdam, NL) I just have to shove my passport in the automated machine, itā€™ll check all details and the gates open.

Tho there is a security officer sitting behind the automated gates to check the data as well I guess.

I presume much of the models you use are pre made by you, like a long time back. Because I donā€™t see any way anyone can do that in 15 min. I canā€™t make simple model in Photoshop in 15min! :joy:

1 Like

Haha nope, not at all.
As mentioned before, I usually design 3D trains :wink: so I do have experience with 3D design, the models I made as fan art are kinda simple.

I might take some more time soon and actually look at real world references (instead of thinking how it looked like from the times Iā€™ve seen them at the airport) to get some proper models.

Anyway, a month ago I made this during a lunch break (maybe 2 lunch breaks).
Do you remember which game?

4 Likes

Airline Tycoon :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Haha, YES :smiley:

So, I just did another model, started working on it at 11:11AM and finished at 11:34AM

I used a real world example this time:

And created the following model.
Keep in mind that no textures are added, a base model is great, but with textures and shiny green and red lights it will look really sweet.

![lighting|690x276]

Notice how the lighting can make a difference as well:

9 Likes

Ok, last one before I stop with these booths :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Dude, @Olof @Fredrik this guy could be very useful in further developing the art. Heā€™s got some incredible talent that Iā€™m very jealous of!

1 Like

The devs are very responsive Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll take notice in due time

2 Likes

I just want to say your artwork is amazing

You have some great skills! Do you work as a 3D artist or?

4 Likes

Thanks! Always a pleasure to hear, goes bothways as I love the artwork you guys use too :wink:
While youā€™re here, do you use 2D sprites on ACEO or are those actual 3D models in Unity rendered as 2D?

I work for a 3D printing service and do some 3D design on the side
(google SpoorObjecten and youā€™ll find my 3D designed trains for 3D printing)

Keep up the good work Fredrik, having lots of fun with ACEO so far and canā€™t wait to see what the future brings!

ā€“
ps. if you guys use a 3D file for ACEO, Iā€™ll be happy to send it over for free so you can see if its easy to implement :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t think they use 3D models, since it may require slightly more optimization (tho its top side, but It shud have an effect on performance, if they use 3d)

I think game uses 3D models since there are shadows in it. Am I wrong?

Shadows can be drawn in. And if all is 3d they could have made it a full 3d game

1 Like

And if all is 3d they could have made it a full 3d game

Please donā€™t. This game is amazing because it is 2D, not 3D.

Shadows can be done on 2d spritesā€¦ even in MS paintā€¦ they must be using some Unity feature (I remember there is one) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The reason Iā€™m asking is because I remember with Prison Architect, which is 2D, there is a 3D mode with cheat, not all of the models are 3D, but some of the were.

@Fredrik will probably be able to tell us more :slight_smile: