BACK ON THE WORKSHOP: Manchester Alan Turing Airport - Large, Modern 52 Stand Satellite Airport

@Blackout @twocflyer Thank you!

The security hall is designed to fit 23 large security checkpoints, serving both domestic and international passengers. I hope the large security checkpoints are still 10x10! After the check-in hall, you progress to the security hall, and once passengers have been screened, they bear left for domestic departures (1), or right for international departures (2).

@twocflyer Ideally the aircraft would be de-iced and refuelled at their stands! I’ve included two large pads to maximise earnings, and I schedule flights for this airport design manually, with a 15 minute separation (eg. 05:00, 05:15, 05:30), beginning with stand A2 and finishing at stand C38. The taxiways are intentionally split so each of the 2 runways serves 20 stands. I don’t usually experience much holdup with only two de-icing pads with this strategy, but I appreciate that people enjoy playing with the automatic flight planner on. If it gets too crazy, I guess you could always remove the pads (which looks better anyway), or just disable de-icing in your operations panel, until your traffic eases.

1 Like

Sounds like a god plan. Regardless you fill the map very efficiently !!! And I have gotten many new ideas for design, furniture, etc from this airport. Thanks for sharing!!!

3 Likes

Crazy stats and an absolutely crazy efficiency and space usage. I doubt I can get to such complexity so it is good to see someone can do something like this. :+1: :star_struck:

1 Like

@win_win @twocflyer Thank you! Glad you appreciate the essentially compact design. A lot of inspiration drawn from Heathrow Terminal 5!

1 Like

Is that why it looks so good? I love Heathrow!!! It is the best airport you will find on this planet for efficency.

2 Likes

A couple bonus screenshots detailing some other parts of the terminal;

Check-In and Security Halls in the headhouse, on level 2.

Immigration, Domestic and International Baggage Reclaim, Alan Turing Airport Rail and Metrolink station, and forecourt with one-way rows for cars, taxis and buses.

A close up of the separate domestic/international baggage reclaim carousels, with domestic arrivals security exit.

The arrivals concourse at C gates. Passenegers disembark the aircraft at level 1 via the jetway, head down to 0 via escalator or lift/elevator, then proceed to the double escalators and two lifts/elevators, which take passengers down to the arrivals filter on level -2, and then immigration and baggage reclaim in the headhouse on level G.

A view of the arrivals filter on level -2.

The immigration hall after security, prior to duty-free shopping and departures lounge, for international passengers. This area will feature 23 passport e-gates (which references British airports, which usually feature boarding ticket gates prior to security).

LHR Terminal 5 was my case study for this design! Always fascinates me how Terminal 5 uses multiple floors efficiently to minimise overall land footprint. More interesting than a sprawling design, and perfect for the games current map “limitations” :wink:

I think I found a flaw in your taxiways. In between B and C gates there is a missing taxi node section.

Thats intentional, to evenly distribute 20 stands to each runway for better operational efficiency. You can always attach the nodes together if you’re a true aircraft planning pro, unlike me!

Ok, got it! :wink:

1 Like

Did you do this airport in sandbox or regular mode?

@Blackout Regular mode, I started out by unlocking all the R&D projects available in Alpha 34, gave myself a budget of £90,000,000 using F9 and the ‘motherlode’ cheat… eventually ran out of money… so gave myself another £20,000,000 and other £1m amounts that the cheat provides you with here and there. This airport has so far cost over around £115,000,000 I’d say. I like to build these airports in regular mode, so that when players subscribe on the Workshop, they can still operate the design with cost/operational factors. Just need to factor in that with my current testing, the airport operates around about -£88,000 per hour.

Makes it all the more interesting. How long do you suppose it will take to load the airport?

@Blackout I would make a strong cup of tea whilst you wait.

4 Likes

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Complexity at it’s highest. I am very thoroughly impressed. Also quite realistic on the budget too.

1 Like

@win_win thanks for your appreciation! Looking forward to the release of Alpha 35 so I can share this with you all.

3 Likes

Looks amazing @awtkn :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Nice work! :clap:

@Baranthur cheers!

1 Like

A birds eye view of the entire airport. Large!

2 Likes