Baggage claim area security

I am not sure about about airports around the world, but in India, there is usually security at the terminal entrance who check tickets and allow only passengers inside, while non passengers (friends and family) cannot enter.

Also, the only access to the baggage claim is from the gate side doors, and if a passenger exits the terminal without collecting their bags, it is difficult (if not impossible) to re-enter to get the bags.

Would this also be something that would be implemented in the game at a later date?
Maybe even some penalties like ‘baggage theft’ if the baggage claim area is left unsecured (people could just walk into the area from outside) like it was in gameplay vid 3?

At the airport that I work at has this for only “international arrivals”. You grab your bag from the carousel, and walkout through the doors where you can meet your family or who ever is waiting for you

Well in the states you can’t get past security without a boarding pass while in Australia you can walk into the terminal and go past security but you cant go to gates to board without one

This doesn’t happen in Britain

1 Like

The UK and US are broadly similar. Domestic and International departures are generally mixed with no formal* exit checks. International and domestic arrivals are generally processed separately; domestic arrivals may use the shared departure hall whilst international pax must pass through a separate channel.

The EU is quite different. Schengen passengers have their area for arrivals and departures (where arriving and departing pax can mix) and non-Schengen have their area on the other side of passport control (again where arriving and departing pax mix) and you must pass a border guard for entry and exit.

Neither is simple to implement but I think the EU solution is more likely IMO. It is probably easier to implement, and it’s the system used in the developer’s home country.

*ie you don’t pass a border guard on the way out although there are exit checks in the background, for example the airlines will report who has left the country according to their manifest.

1 Like

I understand what you guys are saying, and there is a parallel discussion of the same going on here: https://forum.apoglabs.com/t/international-departure-and-arrival-halls/2038

My question was more towards just the baggage claim area. In the airports that I have seen, the baggage claim area is only accessible from inside the terminal. You normally cannot just walk into the baggage claim area from the outside and pick up bags. (Like how the passengers do in gameplay vid 3)
That was where I was getting at. Will there be some special doors or security personnel to prevent that happening?
Also, if you chose not to implement it, there can be a penalty for passenger’s bag getting stolen by outsiders (this will obviously be for a much later stage of the game, but just an idea)

As I said in the other thread you could secure the baggage claim using the one way doors which are already in the game. This would stop people getting in from the outside. I therefore believe that this is already possible.

Hello there @vikhattangady! There’s been already a comprehensive discussion about the baggage claim that is in a non secured area in the topic linked below. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Was a good read

In the U.K. there are places where you can just walk up to the dolmeatic baggage reclaims. Edinburgh and Aberdeen come immediately to mind. But it is becoming increasingly common to prevent access to the baggage claims (Heathrow T2 does this, as does Glasgow now).

In terms of gameplay you would need to take care that if you do put a one way door in, that pax don’t go through it whilst they wait for their bags, and then can’t get back in to collect them. I note in the gameplay vid they congregated in departures because there were seats there; obviously if they went through a one way gate to get to the seats this would screw up your airport (in real life, people aren’t quite this stupid usually). Passengers would therefore need to make sure they don’t trap themselves landside.

I think the passenger AI does seem quiet smart to be fair and if baggage claim had toilets, cafes and seats then would not have moved back to arrivals

1 Like

The AI does look brilliant, but will only be truly tested when more than a couple of people test it. At the moment it will be somewhat limited by the developers’ imaginations. Add in thousands more players and I’m sure that we’ll find quite a few problems that the developers wouldn’t have been able to find without expanding the pool of testers - particularly true in a creative game like Airport CEO where the possibilities are near infinite.

This could well be one of the scenarios. Perhaps the devs didn’t think to put a one way gate between the arrivals hall and landside. In that case it’s very possible that the passengers navigate to a chair or cafe on the other side of the one way gate without a thought as to how to get back until it’s too late. Since we know it will be possible to have the gate and not have the gate, the passengers will need to determine if they can pass through a gate and to do this they should plan to make sure there is always a path back to the arrivals belt.

In reality I think it would be much better for the pax to congregate at the belt anyway. It would be more realistic (no arriving passengers ever hang around at the check in desks, do they?).

The logic with one way gates is potentially a minefield. We saw this in SimAirport where pax would clear security and then double back on themselves and pass the wrong way through a one way gate intended for arriving pax :rofl: A silly error, but easy to see how it came about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.