Baggage Containers/ULDs [implemented]

Update from Apoapsis Studios

This feature request has now been implemented!

While this feature is now completed, future improvements and functionality may still be added over time.

:trophy: :medal_military: :champagne: :flight_departure:

Description:

Containers (ULDs) for handling baggage. Obviously only certain aircraft can use them (A319/A320 are the only aircraft currently in game that can use them).

Why?

• Faster loading/unloading (on stand). The container can be loaded/unloaded away from the stand, potentially reducing the time the aircraft spends on stand.

• Extra complexity (player challenge): an extra fleet (pallet loaders) on top of any belt loaders but canโ€™t be used on all aircraft

• More realism

9 Likes

ULDs are mostly used for cargo, not so much for baggage because passengers donโ€™t present their bags early enough to have ULDs built up and they donโ€™t want to wait for their cargo until the ULD is broken down. After all, the loading/unloading is faster with ULDs, but that time is eaten up by ULD build-up/breakdown. Cargo is patient, does not vomit and does not vote.
However, I expect ULDs in the game when air cargo is implemented one day, which I hope will be not too longโ€ฆ

ULDs are regularly used for baggage on most widebody aircraft, and even the A320 (LD3-45)

1 Like

Not true, at least where I worked as a ramp agent (MUC), ULD were used for baggage by almost all airlines operating capable aircraft (320 series and wide bodies). Baggage which is checked in late is thrown into the bulk section after loading is completed.

It would make sense to implement it along with an air cargo update though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are we sure to get the cargo update?

@dneibig @MUC

I checked again and you both are right, I was wrong.
Maybe because I was only taking domestic flights into account, but I am not sure about his anymore.