Boeing 787-10

The 787-10 have taken the FAA certification :tada::tada:

What do you think about it? It’d be an economical and valid alternative also to the A380? Even if only with 330 seats?

http://www.boeing.com/features/2018/01/787-10-certification-01-18.page

1 Like

There’s an interesting video on YouTube by Wendover Productions about why a 787 is a better alternative than the A380. Passenger volume isn’t really a concern by airliners he said in the video.

It’s interesting and depends on where in the world. I think as a base rule Boeing made stronger gamble on the 787 point to point system. It’s certainly been good for cities like mine (Melbourne), where there is a market for flights to locations far away but it’s not so huge that they merit jets like a 747 or A380.

On the other hand, airlines like Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have maxed out their flights from Singapore/Hong Kong to all the major Australian cities (e.g. Singapore Airlines has started tagging flights to Wellington via Melbourne to get more capacity in). In those cases, the only way to manage is to upgrade aircraft on those routes to larger ones.

So it’s hard to say, but I still think Boeing probably made a better call.

1 Like

Who needs the 787 when you can have the A350 :wink::joy:

1 Like

yup, exactly like… who will need an A350 when B779 appears :wink:
:flight_departure:

That assembly video was pretty cool, haden’t checked that out yet but I honestly had no idea that they’re assembled on a line like that similar to how smaller vehicles are… :open_mouth:

The 787-10 seems like a pretty nice aircraft, and could be used on many routes. It looks great in the Singapore Airlines colours. :smiley:
However, I wouldn’t say that it is an “Alternative” to the A380, they serve very different markets.
The Boeing 787 is primarily used on “Hub to Spoke” flights (Big city to secondary city), while the A380 is only used on “Hub to Hub” flights (Big city to Big city). :smile:

What I think we’re really discussing when we use the term ‘alternative’ is actually whether or not the Hub to Hub model or Hub to Spoke model is going to be more economically viable in the future. To that end it does actually seem like the Boeing 787 family was a better investment for Boeing than the A380 was for Airbus (at this point in time).

1 Like

You make a valid point, I can see twin engine wide bodied aircraft such as the B787 and A350 being more economically viable than the A380 for the next 10 years or so. Beyond that I think the A380 (or possibly A380NEO) will have the edge as air travel is expanding faster than airport infrastructure can cope, meaning airport slots will become more valuable. No doubt the 787 is way more viable on most routes, even some hub to hub. :slightly_smiling_face: