Catering Logistics Causing Delays

Hello All,

My flights are getting delayed because my catering trucks are taking ridiculous routes to the catering depots. I place terminal assigned vehicle depots with only catering trucks next to the catering buildings, but the trucks do not always load meals at the nearest catering facility and spend hours taking the scenic routes instead of the shortest routes.

All catering facilities have plenty if meal and empty truck bays when the trucks make these paths. Also, is there a way to stop large flights from requiring 2 trucks when each truck has a capacity to service of 500 meals?

I have situations where two trucks of 120 meals will service a flight of 240 meals and they both take the scenic route to service the flight.

In my screen shot you can see my catering facilities and the adjacent depots. I was constructing a road between them to try to alleviate the problem. The current road requires the trucks that get meals from the wrong catering facility to travel in a giant U up and down each terminal wing.

1 Like

I have the same issues, it got so bad that a normal 30min delay would go up to 3-4h of delays so I turned it off. Trash collection seldom caused me such a problem it’s always the catering. I also noticed that the catering truck will only leave the vehicle depot once the plane reaches the gate instead of being ready by then. I also often see vehicles wandering far away from their terminals but they’re usually idle baggage or pushbacks

I was able to solve it by restricting the roads. I set the two possible crossings of path to not allow catering vehicles to cross. It cause a few flights to never receive catering while their trucks drove in a loop in an out of the parking depot, then went back to normal.

Yeah, try to prevent 3 lane roads. Those can cause troubles.

Where is there a 3 lane road?

Thanks for the response!

That intersection is enough to cause issues? It actually was not there when the problem started. The road that parallels the southern two runways was added because the trucks were taking such a long route to get to the other catering facilities. It did not solve the problem. I will remove it.

Is isolating the catering trucks to sectors via road tiles that deny crossing to catering vehicles the intended fix to the original problem that trucks from the parking depot on the left would go all the way to the catering facilities on the right to get meals, then go all the way back to the terminal to the left of the original parking depot to service flights when they had to pass a closer catering facility on the way?

So are these catering depots sealed off with the terminal tool or not? Having depots placed that far away from each other and not being divided by terminal areas can certainly invoke the behavior you describe, it’s not an ideal design as it’ll enable catering depots far away to, due to various sorting rules, become deemed as the most suitable depot.

In my way i solved it with connecting one catering depot for each terminal and look that the depots are not to far away from the stands.

The catering depots do not seem to be able to be assigned to a terminal, but the parking depots are terminal assigned and have been since the vehicles started taking the long route to the catering depot.

Don’t mind the weirdness of the layout. I was in the middle of testing out water as a fence for animals and trying to give my airport that reclaimed land look.

not related but just wanted to say you have the weirdest most unrealistic airport ive ever seen

Yes, I have OCD about maximizing space over realism. I have tried to abuse the limits of the game to go for efficiency. I always plan to go for realism, but then I lose control and go back to my old ways.

Thanks All!

Since cutting off the routes to catering trucks, all is well and the double trucks per large flight is working as intended where 2 trucks load each large plane at the same time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.