Community Design Challenge - Stage 1

Hi there, Boss! Welcome to the beautiful island of Montserrat!

What’s that? There’s nothing worthwhile here? Haha. Yeah… about that …

Look, let’s not beat around the bush here. Things haven’t been going well since Soufrière Hills blew out. We’re trying to rebuild Plymouth again, and the Governor’s office has approved the construction of a brand new airport. Although, the money from Her Majesty’s office has been running dry, and our previous CEO (and one of the most brilliant person I have worked with) kinda died in a scuba diving accident. Yeah … pro tip, don’t mix oxygen with other gases. That’s why we kinda needed your help. We’ve heard you have a reputation in building new airports from the ground up, and you came in highly recommended. Welcome to Plymouth International Airport!

Yeah, it’s not much of an international airport, is it? That’s why we need you, Boss! We want to turn PIA into a modern international airport, not just some ramshackle airstrip with strapped shacks holding it together. Don’t worry, we can take it one step at a time. The staff at PIA will support you!

For starters, the Governor’s office has set up some milestones that we need to achieve. Let me check my records … ah yes! They are:

• Reach a daily passenger count of 800
  • Maintain a daily operating profit of $200,000
  • Maintain a contract with 3 airlines
  • Maintain a minimum of 12 GA stands with a 90% rating
  • Have a cash reserve of $1,500,000

That shouldn’t be difficult for us, right, Boss? Anyways, I’ll leave you to it. Good luck, and once again, welcome to Montserrat!

PS: Oh, and a small note from the Governor’s office: No airport expansion is approved, so don’t buy any land for now. And keep the airport fenced in!.

==============================================================================
Hi everyone, so this begins a proposition/idea from me called the Community Design Challenge. The gist is that you’re taking an airport (this airport, PIA) and achieving milestones given a certain set of restrictions. I’ll upload the save for PIA, and you can design it however you want to achieve the milestone. Post your design here, along with your saves (so I can confirm it), then I can check whether you have achieved the milestone. One save, which has the best design while achieving the standards above, will be used as template for Stage 2 (which will have new milestones and such).

The only technical restrictions I’m running for this challenge are:

1. You must run on Realistic International Stand setting.
  2. All saves must be on public build, not experimental (to ensure stability).
  3. No mods used on the airport (this is to make things fairer, especially later down the line).

Here’s the metric I will use to judge your design (you don’t need to achieve everything, just the bare minimum which have been listed above).

Here’s the link to the save-game:

EDIT: Finally got workshop working, here’s the link: Steam Workshop::PIA Stage 1 [35-3]

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y-nVbP1VGqmEAAiuKqcfloI_GWXKuxBm?usp=sharing

Deadline for Submission is 28/05/2020 at 12 AM (midnight) CET (Swedish Time)
Disclaimer: this challenge is not affiliated in any way, shape, or form, with Apoapsis Studios AB except pertaining to the use of Aiport CEO as the basis of the challenge. This is meant to be a fun way to do something new as a community.

EDIT:
To access your saves folder on Windows, copy and paste the following into a Windows Explorer path bar (not Internet Explorer): %APPDATA%\Apoapsis Studios\Airport CEO\Saves\. Extract the .rar files here.

To access your saves folder on macOS, perform the following steps: Click on your Desktop In the top menu bar click Go > Library > Application Support > unity.apoapsis > saves Your saves will be listed there. Extract the .rar files here.

====
EDIT:
Considering no one has posted yet, I think it’s best if I postpone the deadline so people have time to rebuilt and not stressed out.

New deadline: 23:59 CEST 30/05/2020 (so roughly 3 days from now).

PS: I just tried the challenge myself and it is doable to get all the minimum targets. Some additional tips if you’re still banging your head with it:

1. For daily pax count, ramp up your ratio of passengers per flight to 100% (I should’ve mentioned that we will be using this setting). Choose your contract carefully.
  2. For cash balance, finishing the tutorial will give you $1M
  3. For profit, don’t forget to push your fees higher. Additionally, you could get into renting some real estate.
2 Likes

Are you sure?

You should say Apoapsis Studios AB for officiality.

1 Like

There, fixed that. Hopefully legal didn’t see me :v

1 Like

Forgot to add how one would copy-paste the saves manually. Sorry for all the troubles, I couldn’t get the airport uploaded to Steam Workshop properly.

1 Like

So I can’t buy new land? What about expanding the fence?

1 Like

Also love the idea, will start mine tomorrow

2 Likes

Great idea! I’d love scenarios/challenges like this is in the actual game in future!

2 Likes

You can’t buy new land, but you can expand the fence. However, keep your airport fenced in.

2 Likes

I’m in, let me see if I can live up to the Governor’s expectations! :wink:

I know you said no mods, does this include the new CLM as well?

3 Likes

@ReV0LT what do you mean by “Design: Personal/Community”?

1 Like

Personal: My personal preference
Community: I’m probably going to put up a vote system so people can pick whose design they like the most.

Or I might just discard those two points, I’m still uncertain.

3 Likes

It would be fun to keep it, I think!

1 Like

Sorry just read your message. Yeah, as much as I want CLM to be in, no mod should be used in-game. This is so that save-games can be transferred over easily for other players especially when Stage 2 starts.

1 Like

Challenge accepted! :handshake:

1 Like

Also getting onto this. Very neat idea. When will be yhe UK deadline?

2 Likes

If the time zones haven’t shifted yet, then it should be 11 PM 27/05/2020.

1 Like

No problem, am playing with default.

1 Like

How is everyone getting on with the challenge?

1 Like

I haven’t been able to play much these last few days, but getting the ‘Daily Passenger Count’ & ‘Daily Operating Profit’ up to the ‘required’ levels is quite a challenge. I think that I can get the count up, not sure on the profit, will see.

1 Like

That’s why it’s a challenge :wink:

2 Likes