Departure and Arrival Zones

We are taking about passenger segregation not plane segregation… @letsdothis41

…what? Every segregated airport I’ve ever flown through, in more than a few countries, leaves the plane at the same gate for arrival/departure, and passengers are segregated architecturally immediately upon leaving the jetbridge. Needing a tow is not the reason US airports aren’t segregated, it’s just policy.

that’s my point passengers aren’t really segregated if its domestic they have the same gates and they just walk out the right side of security and down to a open baggage claim

You make it sound as if it was obvious. There are airports where even domestic flights are segregated, and if the baggage is already rechecked (so they don’t have to go to baggage claim) they still go with everyone else until a point where they are separated into connecting pax and final dest. pax. At this point those who have a connection go to the boarding lounge again. I really thought this was an unnecessary explanation, but it seems that some people have never seen it.

If your only domestic flights are within the US, you might not have. I’ve only seen the “segregate all passengers then sort connections from arrivals” elsewhere, never here.

Would it be possible to have one way gates or doors?

I think it would, since the gates from the secured areas to unsecure areas are one way. Very nice, a simple one way gate is enough to build the segregation.

To be fair multiple floors/levels and complex people flows are pretty standard in many other 3D simulation games in the gaming industry. Even some older games like iconic rollercoaster tycoon (1999) have this.

But sure it’s not something you normally see in 2D topdown indie simulation games, and I fully understand it could be tricky to both include and visualize.

I also agree your approach is correct to start out smaller scale and work your way up to support mechanics of larger international airports ( like multi floor ) later on, as opposed to SimAirport which went for 747s in tiny airports/runways right away with pretty horrible results.

2 Likes

In my experience arrival and departure segregation seems to occur mainly with regards to international passengers. It seems logical that you wouldn’t want international arrivals to mingle with international departures. An immediate scenario that comes to mind would be drug trafficking, if someone is trying to Traffic from country A to B but B has A listed as a risk country, you could travel to country C and offload your contraband to someone in the international arrivals/departures area who is heading to B, Country A didn’t check you on departure as they don’t care if your leaving the country with drugs and since you could mingle in the international arrivals dream there were no checks on arrival into country C, creating something of a backdoor (at least in relation to country of origin profiles) into Country B.

I was reading through this discussion and I noticed that nobody gave the clear answer why some airports segregate departing and arriving passengers…

I have worked in Zurich airport as a part time ground staff, and the reason why airport segregates passengers is the security.

In the US, domestic arrival passengers share the same area with departing passengers. In fact, domestic flight passengers in most countries are not segregated. Also, in the Schengen area, passengers arriving from airports located in Schengen area also share the same area with departing passengers.

This is allowed because the security level throughout the US or the Schengen area is assumed to be the same. At least in the same country, the airport security regulations are the same. After going through the security, there is no way for passengers to have an access to other things outside the secured zone until they claim their baggage at their point of destination. Also, domestic passengers don’t have to go through passport control and customs. Therefore, it is okay to let departing and arriving passengers to mingle around in the same area.

When it comes to international flights, things get different. Even though it seems like every country in the world have the same airport security regulations, they don’t. Security check in the United States is much more strict compared to other countries. Therefore, airports assume that international arriving passengers are unsecured. If you are changing your flight from international to international, or international or domestic, in many airports you need to go through the security at the airport again since the government law of most countries forces passengers arriving outside of their country to go through security with their own security standards.

Because international arrival passengers are assumed to be unsecured, most countries don’t allow them to mingle with departing passengers. Even in Copenhagen airport, which the developer mentioned, if you are arriving there from a non-Schengen area, you will be segregated from departing passengers.

Interesting break down of it but my personal experience still suggests this is highly variable. For example:

• Arriving in LAX Tom Bradley (which is entirely international flights), arriving and departing passengers are completely separated.

• Arriving in LAX Terminal 2 (Delta - combination of more local international and domestic), the facility doesn’t really appear in place to separate arriving and departing passengers.

• Singapore Changi is an example of an airport I can think of that completely doesn’t separate its passengers at all. All the arriving passengers just walk through the main concourse then take an escalator down to passport control etc. Though I guess this works and makes sense since all flights arriving into Singapore are international, so every arriving passenger will have to clear immigration.

The US doesn’t have segregation for arriving/departing domestic flights or departing international flights, only arriving international flights. Unlike most European airports there’s no exit control of any kind, domestic or international.

At Chicago all international flights* go to the international terminal 5 where you have to clear immigration and transfer over to one of the other domestic terminals if you have a connecting flight. The planes of the US carriers are towed over to the domestic terminals for their next international departure.

*There are a few international airports that have US preclearance locations where you clear US immigration before you take off, this means you get off in the domestic terminal.

1 Like

typing to revive this

@EG0611 This topic is already in development

Not quite, as described in Devblog 145 there will be zones for international flights and at the gate you can separate arriving PAX from departure PAX, but it’s not solved with zones. This will probably also never happen, as the devs explained that it will be too complex to add multi layer zoning.

2 Likes

It is also worth raising the matter of baggage reclaim segregation in the real world. Not as a request for features but just as a general point to think about when designing our airports :slight_smile:

For obvious reasons, once passengers reach baggage reclaim, they can not return to the common secure areas (gates and departures/arrivals secure areas). Hold bags can contain endless list of items not permitted in the cabin

For this reason, many US airports believe it to be easiest for domestic terminals to just keep hold baggage only accessible to passengers once left the secure area, so baggage reclaim is therefore in a public area unsecured though occasionally with local authorities supervising and some level of controlled access.

The alternative (or in the case of international terminals) is a midway semi-secure baggage reclaim. The official exit of the secure area is between baggage reclaim and the public area, but only the staff are able to freely move between the common secure areas and baggage reclaim, for passengers its one way route.

In practice, international baggage reclaim is placed between secured one way doors/routes…
Common secure areas (gates, lounges, Arr/Dep shared areas) > immigration/border checks > baggage reclaim > customs checks (once youve reclaimed hold baggage) > official exit of secure zone > unsecured zone :slight_smile:

The border and customs controls act as a secure sandwiched area for baggage reclaim - thats the easy way to think of it.

It is about keeping the dangerous items in hold baggage, fully isolated from the cabin. The things we can not carry past security search areas.

The need the keep the public away from baggage reclaim is purely a matter for customs enforcement not safety of flights.

Curious to discuss, is the segregation of arrivals and departures mainly about your baggage reclaim areas or more a general thing?

I find it only an issue in certain situations and maybe a couple of tweaks could make a big difference…

• Manual boarding desks, make them operate the same as the auto desks, one way and only passable once flight open/boarding. If you want to let passengers pass freely and either direction then simply leave a gap. This would be big help for more segregation flexibility and avoid passengers going stray.
  • Baggage reclaim area - similar to how we set a staff only tiles/areas. It can be placed secure or unsecured, but simply only arrival passengers will walk into it, and will only leave it once either they get their bag, or don’t have any bags. Entirely optional - not a requirement but it is available to CEOs to enhance designs :slight_smile:

Not suggesting either are quick developments but just a couple ideas

I disagree. The space that is now allocated for the arrival / departure area will have to be cut into 2 parts or increased. Now Paxs enter and leave the platform through one passage. Where to get a place to separate zones? To disembarkation Paks through the first floor, and put them on a plane on the second? And we will also have to reduce sales plans in stores and restaurants, because passenger flows will be divided.Better to let the developers finish alpha 36, then test the beta and release. 5 years already, and the flow of ideas from players is growing like a snowball.

I think the ideas, either mine or those starting the thread are more about players of Airport CEO enjoying the great work so far and sharing ideas, not demands.

Arrival and departure segregation as we know already exists, it works well, it is entirely optional and rightly so. One size never fits all in the real world so it shouldn’t in the gaming world. The developers balance this very well. The ideas here are more about healthy discussion and fine tuning what already works, not reinventing the wheel :slight_smile: :wink:

Maybe you could add it as optional Zones? No Zone: “both passengers allowed” - good for new players.
Just hide it behind a R&D-Project, just like multiterminals are completely optional?

2 Likes