Dev Blog 127: Continued localization, continued catering and continued multiple floors and terminals

I wonder how the de-icing is going to work, like in real life, they have a special de-icing spot built on a taxiway. Are we going to get something similar?

1 Like

Always those dam Dutchies everywhere (not excluding myself of course :stuck_out_tongue: )

That is the plan, yes!

5 Likes

This one is from Copenhagen, but I assume ours is going to be a bit smaller.

1 Like

out of interest, don’t they also de-ice on a stand / gate?

when would they use a determined de-icing stand vs the one at the gate?

1 Like

i thought some airports just send a de-icing truck to the gate.

Truck or a de-icing stand, like on Munich or Oslo

They tend to stay away from de-icing at the gate, because the fluid which is used is toxic and they do not want ramp agents and passangers walking all over it. From a purely technical point it is possible, but done only very rarely.

1 Like

When I have flown through Chicago in the winter all of the di-icing I have seen is going on is either at the gates or on the taxiway next to the gate after push-back. Not sure if that is the same at other airports.

1 Like

Yep. When localization testing is started, we should have a thread to discuss which terms should be used. Many words have official translations that can be googled, like “Check-in Schalter” for check-in desks. Others, like “Shuttle Bus” for example, are not that obvious.:thinking:
The words have to fit in boxes and info panels, too. So wherever possible some choice for the devs would be good.:de:

1 Like

You can see how we do it here at HSV…

You can see how we do it here at HSV…

I am sorry I don’t get it. :roll_eyes:

I know that at Eindhoven Airport De-Icing happens on-stand but based on the previous comment about the ‘toxic’ fluid, it could be the case since it happens infrequently, they perform it on-stand where as places like Copenhagen (where I assume it happens pretty often) will have a dedicated place for it.

1 Like

We don’t have specific areas for de-icing. If you look, the wet areas are where we were doing de-icing, just pushed back from the gate.

1 Like

I’m near DTW and there is a separate de-icing area here. I think it really just depends on what the airport wants to do and can do. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and I feel like both options should be implemented into the game.

With at gate de-deicing for example:
You might be able to make a little more for it because of convince, save some space in your airport, and get a little more satisfaction from airlines because they don’t have to waste fuel going to a de-icing pad. BUT, you would likely need more equipment due to it having to travel to the gates and it would be more likely an aircraft would have to return for a second round because it is starting further from the runway.

With a de-icing pad:
You could get away with using less equipment, and it would be less likely an aircraft would need to return for a second round because that pad would (should be anyway) be close to a runway for takeoff. The planes would have to use up fuel traveling there though, they might get stuck in a queue for de-icing, and it would take up valuable realestate that wouldn’t be all that useful in the summer months.

Maybe it is dependent on the climate of the airport? So, if you need to de-ice a lot, it is more logical to build a standalone deicing spot?

Ok, as the de-icing pad is close to the runway and a aircraft needs to get to the runway anyway, how much of fuel would be really wasted? I can’t imagine that it’s being that much of an influence …

1 Like

It defiantly wouldn’t be a huge amount compared to what is used for the flight, but to a major airline those little savings do add up to a large amount saved across the fleet over a period of time. On top of that jets are not efficient at all for taxiing or at low altitudes in general.

Midway in Chicago sends the deicing trucks to the gates.

If they send the deicing truck to a gate or a separate location has to do with the draining system that is present at the gate. You will need to have a special drainage system in order to drain the water/fluid. That is what I learned.

2 Likes