Dev Blog 144: Soon releasing Alpha 34, beginning work on Alpha 35 and the Airport CEO soundtrack now available!

We’re not sure yet, not as of Alpha 35. We wouldn’t doubt that CE-prOs would be able to build well with one-way doors but it’s more challenging for new players and there needs to be some path finding improvements and also UI fixes to make players aware of incorrectly built terminal areas. If we were to release one-way doors now I could see the backlog getting blasted, as you mention, with “pathfinding bugs” which are caused by dead end one-way door constructions (the same goes for one-way escalators). So, we need to make sure that a player can understand that they’ve deadlock something before it’s thrown in, and as I said we might need to do some path finding adjustments before. If one-way doors are possible it’ll reveal itself in the beta stage is my guess, but I’m also struggling finding real-world examples of where one-way doors are used in passenger areas on airports. Do you have any examples?

6 Likes

You get them in most UK airports where all departing passengers are able to use the same departure area as there are no custom checks on departure and passport checks are done at the gate on boarding, but on arrival domestic and international passengers need to be segregated and taken to different arrival zones (as well as segregating arriving international passengers from departing passengers). In most cases there aren’t one way doors per-se, but staff members lock and unlock the appropriate doors between the gate and the jetty/bus stop in order to segregate the passengers appropriately.

4 Likes

One way doors are after baggage reclaim area I know that and a lot of places have that

1 Like

Make one way doors as an R&D project so new players don’t use it straight off and find out a bit more I don’t think there would be need of one way road for small airport with small stands anyways

2 Likes

As long as vehicle behaviour in general isn’t completely overhauled, imho at least one-way roads are necesarry from the beginning.
I additionally have several stands, I wish I could build with one-way-roads, too…

But, as you suggested, I could imagine some R&D projects like “pax flow management tier 1/2/3”, including one-way doors, indoor rails/fences, one-way-escalators, a.s.o.

2 Likes

Do you have any examples?

I couldn’t find any pictures so I had to recreate it, but last time when I traveled through Gatwick they have a configuration like this (I’ll explain more under the picture):

My plane parked at stand 1 (right of the picture) and I had to walk through a corridor passing by other gates. The green arrows are the PAX flow from stand to exit and the small red arrows on top of the doors means that those doors are one way.
With this configuration, when people goes from the gate seating to the jetway, they have no other way to go other than the jetway and the people leaving a plane can only go to the exit. I should say that as I was walking through those gates, they were all closed, and I assume that when one gate is open, the corridor doors are probably locked, so if you are at stand 2, for example, you cannot take the door to the left and go to the baggage claim.

What I’m trying to say with all of this is PLEASE, PLEASE I really need one way doors in the next update. I haven’t play the game since July waiting for one way doors. PLEASE!

9 Likes

Hi new here but I really feel I want to express my hope for one way doors and also possibly for making one way escalators/ stairs some time in the game , this is rather common on most airports I have visited, for example after baggage claim / customs (almost every airport I have been at) or on some airports for example Heatrow and Zurich where arriving passengers are routed separate from departing passengers, I can understand the complexity but as others have said maybe available as a R&D project. “advanced pax management” or something

Yeah, but how would you rationalize that you need a R&D project for one way doors? You need a license for one-way doors?

If we consider baggage conveyers and routing understandable for players, then I don’t think one-way doors is much different. I guess you could have a similar connectivity check when you place one-way doors to ensure you don’t introduce path finding issues or dead ends.

3 Likes

I have seen a very similar design anywhere in middle east/asia, think it was dubai or new dehli…

And in fact the new skylink terminal in Vienna uses a very similar concept, combined with one-way-escalators…

1 Like

PLEASE add one way doors! Will vastly improve my airport designs and I can bear the initial pathfinding issues for the sake of one way doors!

3 Likes

That includes one way escalators! I think the idea of passenger flow would become second nature even to novice players eventually. The vast majority of airports I have visited segregate passengers with one way doors and escalators!

2 Likes

Perhaps use a right click menu similar to the tilt tray settings on escalators or doors, so the more seasoned player has the ability to create a more realistic segregated passenger experience.

4 Likes

I agree, and i don’t know if i may say but there is… a similar title shall we say? that has one ways and i haven’t heard it to cause to much confusion, Airports is more or less a contraflow of passengers either leaving or arriving and there is a path that is logical provided you have som basic understanding of that concept, but again i have respect for the challenges to players , and the challenges in trying to accommodate players that builds like in an example Olof showed

1 Like

For me the biggest use of one way doors at this stage would be to stop passengers waiting for their flight in by baggage claim, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get them to wait by their check in desk i would much appreciate it.

1 Like

i would like one way doors to keep people from backtracking or going in wrong way
there one way doors exist - usually after secuirty or other locations - player can place doors to control the flow sometimes can be used for transfers between different connections for pax

One way does in airports in real life are associated with change of status. In ACEO it already exists as security is really a one way door but status changes from unsecure to secure. And the security exit is also a one way door with status change from secire to unsecure. This seems to work well.

One way doors are mostly needed to allow a arrival path but we don’t want outgoing pax to use it. So without status requirement at the door, one way doors won’t work. Can you flag arriving passengers different to departing, then use a zone similar to staff zone that only arriving passengers can access? This zone can be used with one way doors and walkways and escalators to ensure only arriving pax use that route. It would prevent departing pax going through it to use a washroom beyond, for example, then can’t find its way back to the gate.

3 Likes

To me, one way doors, escalators, elevators are just nice-to-have.
There are many other things I like to have prior to them.

3 Likes

One way doors I think in terms of Airport CEO would be used more as a way to direct passengers rather than serve a realistic purpose. For example, it could allow boarding setups where passengers coming off the plane are redirected to a separate area which leads to baggage claim and the arrivals area.

For many situations though, I think the logic behind the different zones and the pre-existing rules of each zone pretty much eliminate the need for one-way doors (except for specific advanced cases). It could also be reasoned that one-way doors could confuse players in terms of the logic behind the different zones and they might think that they are always needed when it simply isn’t the case.

Regarding one-way stairs and escalators, I do think they would be worth looking into. Specifically for situations where the flow of passengers from one area to another requires them to go up or down a floor which makes it pointless for them to go back the other way.

That’s all I have to say about that topic. Just a few things to think about

6 Likes

that’s just every fight ever

1 Like