Dev Blog 144: Soon releasing Alpha 34, beginning work on Alpha 35 and the Airport CEO soundtrack now available!

I have found that with careful terminal layout planning, that I have managed pretty well with segregation of departing and arriving passengers quite well. My arriving passengers do mix with departing passengers, but only briefly, they then follow the path to secure exit, which essentially segregated them from departing passengers, and they exit to baggage reclaim, which is a different room, so no departing passengers ever go in there. They exit baggage reclaim to get transport home. Departing passengers enter airport through a different door.

While 1 way doors would be nice and open other opportunities, for terminal layout, I donā€™t think itā€™s a deal breaker for the game. I am accustomed to airports where arriving people do mix with departing, but again with clever layout this can be pretty much avoided.

3 Likes

In the game, baggage claim zoning is named ā€œdomestic baggage claim areaā€ so Iā€™m hoping for an international baggage claim area zoning which needs to be placed in a secure zone and canā€™t be accessed by passengers who arenā€™t arriving.

@DavidMarlor I think this idea could work providing the tutorial states this is a requirement. It could work against standard doors or with walls.

I mean, the green one-way arrows are already in place! Now we just need a narrow staircase, narrow escalator and elevator to influence passenger flow :smirk:

4 Likes

That is how I build my gates and find that most passengers go straight down when exiting the plane as long as I have services for arriving passengers such as toilets.

I can see the issue with one way doors or boarding desks that if departing passenger did go through looking for a toilet they would have to work their way out via immigration and then back through security to get back to boarding which may make planes late.

Yeah most of my passengers do head straight downstairs when arriving, but itā€™s the fact that passengers can, and do, just stroll back into the departure lounge to find things like a bench or a loo. Iā€™m not asking for a complete real world simulation with passengers bearing the same ingenuity as real people - this is obviously a ridiculous, unattainable idea. Itā€™s just the fact that, at the moment, thereā€™s nothing stopping a passenger from entering areas which, with a well designed and managed airport, they shouldnā€™t be. Course, this depends on whether you want your airport to be some schengen only Schiphol lounge 1 terminal or more of a heathrow terminal 5 design - just feel like the game should be open to different airport design options, that do reflect multiple real world airport designs.

3 Likes

@Olof
I was very frustrated too when I heard about the decision not to implement one-way doors. I just want you to carefully consider that if you are going to implement international zones with passport control and customs in alpha 35, there MUST be some way of directing passengers. The whole point of having international flights is the separation of departing and arriving passengers before customs and immigration. In reality this is absolutely crucial. I know this game is not intended to be a 100% real simulation and you keep referring to new players but without this ability you might just go ahead and cancel the whole international/domestic thing as it would be just something that makes the game more complex but less realistic than it is at this stage.

2 Likes

I see we all follow the same technique. Which is actually what many real airports do.

I find that 80% of my PAX go straight down to arrivals. Though I do find somewhat annoying having, even though only a few, PAX wandering into departures.

LCA-MAR-08-22-e1421844133519

A dual-bridge is a workaround, though then that would require three floors: Ground, 1st for Arrivals and 2nd for Departures which is not great either.

2 Likes

I was very frustrated too when I heard about the decision not to implement one-way doors. I just want you to carefully consider that if you are going to implement international zones with passport control and customs in alpha 35, there MUST be some way of directing passengers. The whole point of having international flights is the separation of departing and arriving passengers before customs and immigration.

Letā€™s not force developers to develop a feature just because we want to play with. I mean I also want to see one way doors BUT after all, it is their game so they have the final word right for every development. If it is impossible, if it brings many more problems than benefits I prefer to not see that feature in game even though that decision will hurts my soul.

Who knows maybe one day developers develop a modding feature so community will develop their own one-way doors :wink:

3 Likes

I think itā€™s clear that every post in a forum is an individualā€™s opinion and so was mine. Of course itā€™s up to the developers to adapt to it or not but I think I made a very important point. The developers most used explanation for not implementing or changing something is too much complexity and this is exactly what this would be: More complexity without a real sense. If they gonna make this game moddable I totally agree and wouldnā€™t even care but then why not just give a hint in that direction and many discussions wouldnā€™t even start.

3 Likes

That would be pretty cool but its quite irrelevant at this point. We are not even sure that modding will be possible to that level.
Additionally I am sure you can say that for every feature discussed in the feature voting.
That said I think its pretty cool of Olof to come and explain the situation and also pretty cool of the community to come up with other ideas/options and their own opinions about the same!

3 Likes

I feel like it needs to be forced if youā€™re going to implement an ā€˜international zoneā€™, let alone what we want as keen players. Feel like Iā€™m harping on about this omission an awful lot but, itā€™s literally all iā€™ve been waiting for :joy:. It just seems like something glaringly obvious to be included in an airport game like this and Iā€™m a little bit perplexed at how this isnā€™t a priority for Alpha 35.

Is it bad form to suggest just creating one-way doors and if you canā€™t understand the correct use of them and your passengers deadlock and flights break, thenā€¦ tough luck? :laughing:

3 Likes

If one-way doors or other options are not realistic right now, why not take a more practicable approach to this. @Olof and @Fredrik: Is it possible to make the number one priority for any arriving passenger to leave the secure zone as fast as possible before satisfying any other need? That way arriving passengers wouldnā€™t even consider using a lavatory or anything else within the secure zone. Not only would this serve the purpose that the flow of arriving passengers could be directed and separated from departing passengers to a greater extend if intended (and pathfinding works correctly), it would also correctly reflect the behavior of 99% of passengers in real life. Hardly do I ever see an arriving passenger not go straight to the baggage claim area even in domestic terminals where mixing occurs. If itā€™s possible I would at least give it a try and possibly kill two birds with one stone.

2 Likes

How would that work once international baggage is enabled which will be in the secure zone?

1 Like

@Olof Maybe an upgrade of the jetways to use 2 floor acces will be usefull for this situation. So arrival passengers will spawn on a different floor.
Like this jetway from Dalaman Airport:
1_WjonC4sxz5LzcDzNp2XuxA

10 Likes

I support this alternative if one-way pathfinding is too much to handle.

6 Likes

I suggested these a bit higher up in the thread and apparently they have been suggested before.

These double jetway structures seem like a good alternative that counter the one-way door troubles.

It Would be really nice if you could upgrade jetways to multiple level acces bridges with toggles where you can decide on which floors boarding and disembarking pax enter and leave the structure.

Multiple level jetway-bridges are common practise and for example also seen on airports like BER and AMS.

4 Likes

If one way pathfinding canā€™t be fix this will be a great alternative indeed. I hope the devs will take this in mind.

2 Likes

I think it should be part of R&D (the jetway arrival exit) and as an upgrade for stand cause I donā€™t think everyone would want to have it in their airport and be possible to make it as floor below may be used by other things besides that it would also not fit in all designs

2 Likes

Or just as an upgrade option, just like upgrading to a jetway.

1 Like

maby have it be needed through R&D and when unlocked, you apply it via stand upgrade

1 Like

Not sure if this is true, but the discussion about that is pretty academic.
But what I see here is the situation that many people (we) who donā€™t know shit about the situation (the code or even programming) giving good advice to the professionals (the devs). The same relation as between parents/teacher, sport fan/sport professionals, car driver/traffic experts.

1 Like