Dev Blog 146: Restaurants and airline lounges

DXB Terminal 3: Concourse A - 11 floors, Concourse B - 10 floors.

Alright, if the boss wants a sink, the community gets a sink! :wink:

21 Likes

Great dev blog guys! :heart_eyes_cat: Sounds like a huge update all in all, really amazed by the amount of work you are doing at the moment! :scream_cat: Can’t wait to get our hands on all the new stuff and looking forward to what the multiple terminal feature will bring.

The office tour becomes more and more a ‘thingy’ now :wink: Expect to see a very detailed tour, especially if you have all kinds of ‘interesting stuff’ lying around :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

Nice DevBlog guys! finally real restaurants and lounges. I can’t wait to add these new features to my airports!

A question i’ve still got.
I’ve asked and proposed this before. But i’m not quite sure if there has ever been an answer: Is it possible to built central security and operate your airport like Schiphol’s central security? So you’ll have immigration control directly after the security checks. And your entire airport will be on the same security/immigration level?

1 Like

Great devblog as always!

Is there a plan to integrate airline lounges, stands and maybe even dedicated checkin desks (I know you currently can’t assign check in desks) to airline master contracts in any way?

1 Like

Talking about IRL case, I’ve been to several lounges already which didn’t have toilets for several reasons (some airports just have public toilets and none of the lounges has; at other airports there might be a “café style” lounge without toilet, for example the Lufthansa Senator Café in MUC). Nothing important of course, but for rebuilding real airports might be nice to be allowed to build no-toilet lounges - which however will have a lower rating and/or only be frequented by passengers with short waiting time until boarding.

This made me think about what would happen if I build several lounges for the same airline. Would passengers randomly pick one, go to the best quality one, go to the closest after security or would they go to the one nearest to the gate?
If you have some logic for this in place, it might as well work for the “catch all” lounge. Out of the pool of accessible lounges (“catch all” plus dedicated airline lounges for the passenger’s flight) the passenger would just have to choose the best one according to some rules (walking distance, quality, …).

Depends on how it’s implemented. If you make it a “real style” priority boarding, it would just start some time ahead of normal boarding and only allow business class passengers in. After that time normal boarding starts and lets everyone in, no matter whether it’s business or economy passenger.
The difficult part for implementing would be that business passengers have to cut the queue for priority boarding; on the other hand, as far as I know the queue currently only builds up after start of boarding, so in that case it would be no problem.

1 Like

Heathrow is five. I know of a six as well. But yes, we have six floor all told in game.

Awesome DevBlog. super excited for the additional features!

Multiple Contact/Same Airline - Lounge Question

One thing I thought of reading everyone’s comments is what if we have multiple contracts for the same airline? Some airports that are a “hub” for one airline require more contracts for more gates than an airline that only has a gate or two. Because of the Limit of only 50 flights per contract, and the multiple livery not currently working, we as moders have created multiple contracts for one airline to allow for more than one type of livery (for 1 aircraft type for an airline) to show up a the airport and we use these multiple contracts for the same airline but different livery to solve the more scheduled flights to fill more gates for that airline.

Because these “hub” airlines have more gates/stands, they need more contracts to fill the flight plan schedule. Another way to allow for more scheduled flights for “hub” airlines, I personally will make multiple contracts (basically duplicates with a minor name difference, – Contact 1 “Delta Air Lines A1-2”, Contract 2 “Delta Air Lines A3-4”, for example) to allow for more scheduled flights to fill the schedule at multiple gates at my airport.

For example, If I have an airline that I want to occupy 5 gates, with only 50 max flights available and assuming all flights are single flights and not 2-6 daily flights, that only fills the schedule up to 2 days. With multiple daily flights that fills the schedule over multiple days, this leaves some of the gates schedule with lots of empty block periods during the day. This Is the reason why I currently make multiple contacts for the same airline that I want to be the “Hub” airline at my airport. An airline with more than 5 gates at an airport will have even more empty periods in the schedule.

Will there be a way to combine multiple contacts to one lounge so that we don’t have to make multiple lounges for the same airline that has multiple contacts? This might also make it easier to assign some airline contracts to a generic “airport” lounge for airline contracts that don’t have their own airline lounge, ie. budget airlines…

Or another solution around this to allow for “hub” airlines is to allow contracts to get bigger and allow for more than 50 flights (max) as the airport gets bigger. (assuming in the future that multiple liveries will be implemented again :pray: )

I hope this make sense.

super excited to have more stuff to fill the empty spaces to make the airports that much more awesome!!! Thanks Devs! can’t wait for this update!!!

Passenger behavior has definitely been one of the things I’m looking forward to most. Glad to hear there are changes coming so they aren’t randomly traversing the terminal. I always wondered why’d they go and sit nowhere near their gate, or just walk to their gate to look at it and leave.

Also, and this is a pretty minor thing, but I was wondering if you’ve considered adding boarding stanchions? I’ll include a picture for reference:

This sort of goes to the question others have asked about “priority” boarding, but even if you didn’t implement such a feature, I was curious if we could use these stanchions to help organize our boarding areas.

Basically, as it works now, when a boarding desk opens, everyone just clusters around it in an unorganized blob of people. From above I realize these stanchions wouldn’t look like much. The main purpose is to keep the people a bit more organized and in queues. For temporary purposes, it could simply be random to which “group” pax are assigned, or the stanchions could be used solely for arrangement purposes. Passengers would line up “X” to a row.

Again, pretty minor. Looking foward to the update!

2 Likes

For starters, around 20 to 30 percent of a flight’s passengers will be traveling in business class and out of those 90 percent will be wearing suits (those 10 percent who don’t are simulated successful tech entrepreneurs who would never wear old money clothing).

Will the names of these techies be derived from the developers and their friends names?

1 Like

In real life their are membership-based and paid entry lounges, do you think we could get contracts for stuff like that? I think it would be really cool, and work better for smaller, and very large airports.

1 Like

What about multiple airlines sharing a lounge?
In real life, lounges and airlines have an n:m relation.

I’m not sure if I have an opinion on how important that is… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Particularly if you run a hub and you want to have separate lounges for domestic and international.

===
On another note, reading the devblogs about the new pax type makes me curious whether this finallyould herald in the future… of Family/Group type-pax and Pilot/Cabin Crews …

3 Likes

We need flight alliances in the game, so one airline lounge can also accept passengers from different airlines but from the same alliance.

1 Like

Awesome blog. Read some of the comments. I was also curious about the kitchen food cycle.
But more curious about the boarding if we can now divide business class and economy passengers in boarding.
Also it says in the blog " that we’re now simulating two types of passenger classes: economy and business class. For starters " does that mean the First class is coming later?

And like mentioned above, if priority boarding will be a thing.
Will we also be able to set check-in desks to only serve one type of passengers? Like economy and business class? Also priority check-in for low budget airlines?

I’m also really exited for self check-in

I’m also really happy to see more realistic passenger behavior.
Some questions about that.
Will a passenger always tried to tend to the most urgent need first?
How smart will a passenger be? Will they know that several need can be met, either “along the way” or at the one and same spot.

Two scenarios.

1. Passenger has just cleared security. He looks at the departure screen and sees that the gate is probably some walking away. But he needs to go visit a WC. Now if the “signs” says there should be a WC in the direction of the gate. Will he start walking and find a WC along the way. If he cannot see a WC in his vicinity?

2. Passenger has just cleared security. He needs both a wc, but also knows he is hungry? So he can tend to both needs at a restaurant? Will he then choose to go there?

Looking forward to all the improvements.

Doesn’t sound that difficult to me.

Ignoring lounge hoppers like the fellow at OMAAT and friends, it should be possible to do a simple test:

• If the airline has a lounge of its own, go to that lounge.
  • If no, look for a lounge run by the airport, and go to that one.
  • If both the above aren’t met, get mad. (I don’t want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?)

EDIT: Oh OK now I see the issue:

For starters, around 20 to 30 percent of a flight’s passengers will be traveling in business class

That’s a lot of passengers. Perhaps this mix could be a range from 0 percent (hello ULCC) to 30 percent (like SIA for one). Small airports would then be forced to start with airlines that carry less premium passengers, and/or put the construction of an airport-run lounge in the tutorial.

Or maybe the airline can simply hand out vouchers for use at an airport restaurant.

1 Like

Same here. I would advocate for a % of business class or lounge guests (let’s pretend for now, it is the same) per airline. This would finally bring a real difference to airline contracts, which demand a lounge to begin with - and let’s say, a certain passenger rating, that in return, can only be achieved with a big enough lounge.

2 Likes

I just want to thank you all for the amazing updates! Can’t wait for the moment it releases. :smiley:

2 Likes

I feel, In general that we get more stuff but less detailed… First we saw it with the no “one way” paths and now with the kitchen not actually delivering food to customers. I preffer to get half the stuff they promised but with all the functionality in detail, because once they set somthing it will be there for good. It wont change later on the game will be “too complicated” to achieve that.

I’m not too happy when I think about waiters. At an airport 95% of the restaurants are fast food or self service. I would rather wanna see some elements to make it look like that, like a tray return rack or a self service station for condiments and napkins and stuff.

4 Likes