Dev Blog 148: Internal testing of Alpha 35

Here’s finally a short little update on how Alpha 35 is progressing:

Dig in and enjoy! :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Love the dev blog. Stay safe and healthy everyone and devs @Olof, @Fredrik and @Alexander

9 Likes

Great read, thank you too.

3 Likes

Glad to know that you are safe and that everything is going well with you.
I can’t wait for the alpha 35 to come out

4 Likes

nice - thats was great

2 Likes

Again we are all glad for your great health and I hope everyone else is doing just the same. :+1: :+1:

@Olof, Once in a while can we have a person that runs down the opposite direction on the walkalator or someone who walks backward, very useless, but would also be hilarious. and hilariously hard to program. :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just an idea. :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Greatly appreciated as always! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the blog. what would the balancing of the Large Security Station be like? (# of employees vs. speed) as I don’t remember it being mentioned before.

2 Likes

Dev blog is quite amazing, as always! Glad to hear that you are in good condition as well as the game!

2 Likes

Great News and huge news on your office.

Keep up the good work team and stay safe. Cannot wait to test Alpha 35.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the team is OK! :smiley: Hype is getting up! :grin:

4 Likes

Biggest update in my opinion.

2 Likes

Love this!

Quick question, regarding small, medium and large walkalators. Are you referencing width or length? Just wondering if they’re draggable in length or not, so I can adjust my airport plan.

Thanks

2 Likes

We don’t have any exact numbers as of yet, but the balancing is in general designed like this:

Small: One employee, very long processing time
Medium: Four employees, average processing time
Large: Five employees, fast processing time

This creates a balance between the number of staff it takes to operate and thus the wage operating cost, the construction cost and operating cost of the checkpoint itself and the physical footprint. On top of this you also have the employee productivity factor, meaning that a rested and talented employee will count towards a lot better efficiency score of the checkpoint and vice versa. It’s working OK now but it’s something we’ll probably revisit and re-balance well into the beta period.

No, they are not draggable. We decided to go with three fixed sizes instead as it would require a lot of extra effort to make them draggable while the benefit is not high enough. If you want exact measurements of the walkalators you can instead adjust your terminal layout and we can use the time towards other more important and impactful features instead. If it turns out that those three sizes are not enough we can also easily add more size variations.

10 Likes

@Olof Cheers for the quick response, I’m not worried about three fixed lengths as opposed to draggable walkavators, I just wanted to be sure so I can edit my design to place them when Alpha 35 drops. Love how they’re one-directional though!

4 Likes

Just wanting to leave a ‘thank you for your hard work’ and stay healthy!

4 Likes

@Olof I have a question. In Alpha 35, will people stay to one side of the stairs/escalators, or will they still go on any of the two sides?

You mean the walkalators? They stay on the same side in stairs and escalators but on walkalators they walk on both sides of the walkalator in their respective direction.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry @Olof, I did mean walkalators. Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

I have a question: in the previous dev blog you announced narrow stairs. Doesn’t this mean also one-way escalator?

2 Likes