Dev Blog 153: Emergencies!

Good morning airport CEO! We’re starting off the day early with…

… finally releasing the emergency dev blog! :slight_smile:

Read it and enjoy(?)! :hear_with_hearing_aid: :face_with_head_bandage: :airplane:

20 Likes

Amazing! Can’t wait to see how this update ends up at release!

2 Likes

happiness sounds

2 Likes

Ok, 2 things

1. With stands can you set its airline to be like, emergency only? Or will you just have to either set auto planner off for the gate and just do that? Or just turn off the stand?
  2. So internal won’t be out for a few more days?
    Sorry, make that 3 things
  3. Will you get emergencies for planes larger than you can handle? Like if you just started out and can only handle small planes, will you receive emergencies For medium and large planes?
    So many questions, now I have 4 things to ask,
  4. Are hangars like stands? As in, can only take their size? Or like de icing pads, planes prefer their own size, but can use larger sizes if needed
8 Likes

Excellent Dev Blog as always. Looking forward to the MD-80, thanks @Rubble.
Stay safe and well everyone including @Olof, @Fredrik and @Alexander.

5 Likes

That is an awesome devblog guys! :heart_eyes: I actually can’t wait to go and try to handle an emergency. I have a couple of questions as well;

Are hangars like stands? As in, can only take their size? Or like de icing pads, planes prefer their own size, but can use larger sizes if needed

• Like Scottie says, can small airplane be parked on large hangar?

• Second one is how does fire truck drive to runway? Is it via taxiways or we need to connect a service road to runway?

• Only 1 fire truck will be sent to emergency aircraft?

• I feel like ambulance and police cars should be deployed for emergency landing as well. As far as I know in real airports, this is how it works.

With stands can you set its airline to be like, emergency only? Or will you just have to either set auto planner off for the gate and just do that? Or just turn off the stand?

Scottie I would go and build 1 small and 1 large stands (large can accept medium) around hangars for just these emergencies. They will stay there empty.

5 Likes

Thanks for the blogpost was a pleasure to read!

Really looking forward to the small stuff like checked in but not boarding passengers or overbooked flights…

But isnt that really ineffective? I would approach this in a way that there is always a free stand of a type at any time. That way Every stand has more buffer for delays as a bonus.

1 Like

Didn’t see it mentioned in the notes, but is the new contract system coming in alpha 36 as well?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s been developed, currently being reviewed internally:

3 Likes

Is “Tungan rätt i mun” a Swedish saying? It doesn’t seem to literally translate into English - think our equivalent is “heart in mouth”

2 Likes

Lovely blog. Nice work guys.

I am wondering, when the plane goes from the stand to the hangar. Does it drive by it’s own or will the pushback truck carry it the whole way? Last one is the common thing I’ve seen for airplanes which are being moved around the APRON. (Saves fuel and does not need a pilot)

1 Like

a very caring devblog, everyone can see how much passion is in this project!! my english skills tell me correctly that Alpha 36 will be released soon and the beta phase will start in autumn, right?

3 Likes

Nice devblog!

One question regarding the hangars. Are they only used after an incident occured or do some aircrafts also come in for regular mainentance?

3 Likes

As a firefighter, I can’t wait for this update to come out!
A few questions / suggestions though:

1. Will the runway receive damage after a plane fire? Fires can really damage asphalt and concrete because of the heat. Even a ‘normal’ car fire can damage a highway so bad it needs repairs asap. It’s something to consider when being ‘offered’ an emergency.

2. Can you assign a specific runway to a plane with an emergency landing? For example, the runway closest to your fire station?

3. Will passengers be exiting the plane using the glides on the runway and need transport using shuttles?

4. Will we be hiring the emergency personnel ourselves?

5. Airport crashtenders use foam to extinguish plane fires. Will we be able to sign a contract with a foaming-agent-supplier? Pretty much like fuel.

5 Likes

I know this is nit picking in the dev blog, but you should have 3 maydays. Also can you have a button to divert aircraft that are coming to the airport. This would allow us to be able to take any emergency even if we had a full schedule. Also the fire truck is spraying out water when it would actually be foam and would last a bit on the runway. Also the aircraft would be towed away.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to test Alpha 36.

And yes, you should repeat “mayday” x3, that’s the standard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like the simple way. As written in the blog, after the fire is gone, the plane continues to the assigned gate and let the pax out.

1 Like

Yeah, it was more of a idea then a question… :smile:

1 Like

In my opinion, emergencies should be solveable within short time. The evacuation on the runway would block it too long and cause many other issues on the airport.

1. Players are forced to accept emergencies as it could cause a bad rating
  2. Then the emergency blocks structures and causes a huge delay, loss of money and this end up in a bad rating too

There are still a lot of players who just want to build an airport and have fun with it than handle emergencies who might cause huge other impacts on their airport.
I think the solution they are implementing now is a good balance. You just need the extra infrastructure (Fire/Police/Ambulance + Hangar + may a spare gate) and then you are able to handle emergencies next to your normal projects on the airport.

1 Like

I can’t wait for Alpha 36 to come out, it has so many great features.

Do you mean the subway or are trains going to be implemented? :open_mouth:

1 Like