Dev Blog 153: Emergencies!

just an idea from the Discord Server Modding channel:

May it be possible to implement Air Taxi too? it is working like an Air Ambulance but instead that there is an ambulance that picks up passengers you need to provide a limousine service and a bording desk and that stuff that picks up and drive the passenger to the plane…

oh and it should be moddable lol

2 Likes

If boarding desk and other stuff is considered, then GA could also be affected from it since then GA and private jets work similarly. Actually even pilots and cabin crew can be considered same. Here is work flow;

Plane arrives > Air taxi passenger+crew / GA passenger+crew / commercial flight crew deboards and uses a minibus > Transfer to a special mini terminal where passport control + security exit have > Leave airport.

For departure same but on reverse.

3 Likes

Customs and police is not the same. The police is responsible for the security in and around the airport.
Customs is for the import/export of goods. And that’s currently not on the roadmap.

3 Likes

First off, we are not working on an Airport CEO 2 and the next game we will make will not be that game. We need a break from both aviation and our weird but charming 2D/3D perspective… :wink:

Don’t ask me, ask @Jettuh:wink:

It uses the same runway selection algorithm as the rest of the flights, i.e. the one that is most suitable in terms of stand accessibility and aircraft type matching.

Maybe, but as you say it is indeed tricky. It may look like the same mechanism, but under the hood there are some changes to make so I am not fully sure if this. Nothing we would prioritize at this point.

Correct! :slight_smile: As for the service, not at this point but maybe later.

I don’t think so, it was a night mare when we had it back in the days from a logic perspective but I’ll have @Fredrik give the final call on that.

9 Likes

I have a question regarding administrator programs. Is the “emergency prevention work” program going to affect only airport related emergencies? What I mean is that power surges or birdstrikes are preventable, however the airport has no way of preventing an engine failure on a plane departing from somewhere else. No matter how hard admins work, they can’t affect planes in the air.

2 Likes

Looks like something is already available… Steam achievements for ACEO :star_struck:

2 Likes

Valid points, which we realized as well, so this program has been changed (internal testing now) to “union suppression” instead, which increases the chance of a successful negotiation with the union if your staff is unhappy.

They are great! However, they are only implemented in our code for the internal version as for now. As soon testing is complete it will roll out to experimental and default too. Steam only lets you add achievements on an application basis, not per branch.

7 Likes

Considering unions has been touted several times now, both in devblog and in the Steam achievement list, would we get a devblog in the future detailing the changes to staff?

EDIT: As it is it seems like the update could be pushed out earlier before the devblog touches on these points.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it’s fairly simple. Each employee takes their normalized salary (compared to average of their type), energy and bladder and converts it to a happiness score (0-1). This is averaged by all employees (excluding contractors, franchise staff and executives) and if that average is below 0.5 (might change) you risk have to negotiate higher salary with the union. So keep your staff relieved, rested and trained (which increases salary) you’re good.

4 Likes

Here are the two biggest question that hasnt been answered yet as far as I can tell…

But before I get there, I just want to tell you that the progress you have made is remarkable, I was here before Alpha release, played off and on and then took a break and now I am back and I love what has been done.

Since the beginning Fences in game has said, “Note! Fences are only decorative and serves no function (yet).” I saw no mention in the DevBlog, but are we finally going to be required to keep a secure perimeter? Also are there going to be active emergencies if there are free paths to secure zones without a security checkpoint?

5 Likes

Yes, it will have an impact.

2 Likes

Love this, been watching the game since it’s inception only recently brought in as not having own computer (console and work laptop)

While i think this is awesome, I agree with some of the comments that some people won’t want to deal with emergencies and just want to build an airport.

Will there be a way to switch it off?

Also I think it would have been better to have the advanced baggage scanners, emergencies, advanced security features and maybe something like prison architects prisoner security level to apply to passenger type (family, tourist, business, first class etc) and package these up as a DLC, because it keeps the core game smooth, gets the game out faster and also provides additional revenue streams for the company so the game can continue to be supported post full launch

2 Likes

Thank you for that kind feedback, we’ve made a lot of progress indeed and are slowly getting there. As mentioned by other’s this is correct, but I can expand just a little on it and say that there will be both land animals and avian animals spawning in Alpha 36, both from vegetation and the outside world. Birds are kept away using BSPS sonic devices (built via the runway upgrade menu) and land animals are kept away via fencing (they cannot walk through objects like fences and they stay off the road and sidewalk and such). If a bird is near the liftoff zone of a runway a bird strike can occur, same goes for animals that might get hit during take off. Otherwise, if land animals are present as an aircraft is taxiing around they will stop and wait until the animal is clear before they resume taxiing. This will cause disruptions and queue building at your airport and eventually eat in to your schedule and reduce ratings.

No, we have no way of measuring this in a performance responsible way, can also cause a lot of confusion for those who build their airports poorly. There’ll be other passenger related incidents instead.

Yes, we’ll likely include it as a setting when you start your airport. There are also a bunch of perimeters that have to be met, gameplay wise, before incidents start becoming a thing so that new airports aren’t overwhelmed with pandemics or strikes or whatnot.

6 Likes

Hello together,

Can you tell us something about the difficult level at the beginning of a new airport? will this have an impact soon?

1 Like

I’m interested in the airlines contracts. Will airlines now require minimum requirements before offering flights? for example, at start an airline might need just security, but then as time goes on, they need medium stands, baggage at tier 3, airport lounge, catering, etc. I would would like to see airlines either want, or be willing to pay more for preferred “slots” or gate times. e.g. 6-8 am and 4-8 pm or something like that. knowing we can’t accommodate all of them, we would then accommodate those willing to pay more.

2 Likes

Blockquote

How about protesters? They could just be different versions/sprites of the animals, crossing taxiways and causing disruption.

The bit about getting hit by planes on the runaway could be somewhat controversial though…

1 Like

How would they get there? And also I was just imagining back when people that miss their flight for remote stands would just head to the runway and get on the plane walking with one purpose: GET ON THAT PLANE!!! lol

One can hope :turtle:

EDIT. Direct visit should work. And yes, geocrap is total crap.

2 Likes

“Video is not available” ; well screw you then ABC Entertainment

Anyways, what I’m curious is …

So would this mean doggos for wildlife control as well, and perhaps for security rounds, is within the realm of possibility and feasibility in the near future?

2 Likes

Apologies if this has been asked as I couldn’t see it. Hard to answer too I’m sure… What is the rough ETA on this being on the experimental branch?

1 Like