DevLog 60: General Aviation, Jobs & Playability!

I love the ideas, but we still have to make sure that we aren’t too deep into ‘micromanagement’. It can be really tedious if you have to spend so much time into staff. The main point of the game is still building your airport and managing it, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but when you’re a small airport you could do it yourself. When the airport grows, you hire managers, that automate the menial tasks for you

2 Likes

I agee. I like micromanaging but as with all things, there is a red thin line. Staff cannot possibly be realistic in numbers.

EDIT:

IIRC the skills/moods system was implemented much later in RimWorld and is still in fine-tuning. Simply hiring someone and not looking back at them (staying at their desk/post 24hrs a day) should be sufficient for pre-alpha release.

Agreed, and as pderuiter said, you should have the option of hiring a manager. The manager then does the micromanaging for you based on simple settings you pre-define. Sliders with following ends

1 - Employee welfare - Cost efficiency (Shift length, number of employees)
2 - Well educated staff - Cheap Labour (Hiring policy - skill vs salary)
3 - Employee development - Use&Discard (wether you educate and train your employees or replace them with better candidates)

Based on these sliders, the manager of the various departments will manage their employees. Or HR-staff, i’m more of a fan of that.

I think HR manager is included in the game. It would become too tedious to micro manage your airport when it handles like 50 flights.

I love the idea of being able to run a General Aviation airfield. This can allow me to create my own, personal business model. Furthermore, I wonder if I can integrate a GA Airfield with a larger, passenger/freight airfield?

1 Like

You can, everyones airport will be different and unique. :wink: There should be a setting to completely block GA unless an emergency happens. Or vice-versa :airplane:

You start with a GA airport. And end up with a huge passenger airport (as of now only domestic/schengen). So ya… it’s Upto you if you want a pure GA, passenger or hybrid. Cargo will be added in future.

1 Like

I prefer blocking all airport operations in case of emergencies.

2 Likes

Lovely to see GA this soon in the game, we have a field in the neighborhood that is always a nice place to go to. But although still in construction what would be an absolute minimum requirements to start a field? (Apron/Fuel/ATC tower?) or are there more minimum requirements?

Also will there be specialty buildings that give a element of persistence? like the airport close by has tourism flights (recreational flights) and flight-clubs. these normally have either a long-therm parking reserved for their club or a plane that is “persistent” to that airport.

It can be nice that you can get a contract of a flight-club that wants to rent 10 parking-spots, the price will be a little bit lower then normal but they pay even when not in use ( since they reserved it). Same with a tourist plane that you need to have a hanger (or maintenance apron) since the plane stays at that airport but you not only get income from the parking but also from the tourist flights (and its fun to see that the flight always comes back)

I was just thinking but if this has already been said I would like to see the person who already commented on this. I was just thinking that with the stands for the aircraft I thought that we could designate whether the stand would serve General aviation or Commercial aviation. So the General aviation aircraft would go to their designated stands and the Commercial aircraft would go to their designated stands.

Progress doesn’t sleep! Our ACEO workday begins at 18:00 and end at 02:00.

Hopefully everything you said. Initially, we’ll most likely not render anything but the first step is to implement fatigue. Fatigued employees perform worse thus impacting the service provided to passengers or the security of the airport. We’re focusing now on developing the frameworks for these systems so that we then easily can implement behavior.

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone! <3

Olof… You stay up until 2:00 AM working on this? Talk about fatigued employees… You must be a zombie during the day! :skull:

3 Likes