DevLog 74: Steam Direct, Time and New Taxiway Construction System

Just wondering if there’s still 4 seasons per year under the global warming effect

Absolutely love the taxiway system. Thanks for that change. It creates a very flexible system. I’d still like to see the terminal roads separated from the stands so we can be more flexible on how we design airports. But that’s just a wish. Have the vehicles path to the stands the same way aircraft do by connecting the taxiway to the stand - connect the road to the stand.

I’m good with the 12 days equals 1 year. This is an elegant solution. It works at the day level (can still have days of the week too) and it works at the longer macro level to allow time to pass for financial reasons.

It reminds me of the system used in the original Railroad Tycoon. In this there were two clocks running hourly, so trains didn’t take years to cross the map, and then monthly clock. But for finances, every hour represented a month. Every day represented two years - and every two years you’d get a financial statement and an indication of happy the board was with you. Another neat feature is that if you zoomed into the most detailed level, the clock slowed down. Zoomed out, it ran faster. Remember these are not smooth zooms, but different maps with different details.

2 Likes

Great work as always Frederik and Olaf!!!

I know that you (for good reason) can’t give even a tentative release date, but I’m hoping that the 30 day stasis period translates into a release date on Steam Direct. Time will tell :).

I know that you will get some great data on year length once more people have their hands on it, and as you said that is an easy thing to adjust.

Two questions about seasons and weather?:

1. For our friends in the southern hemisphere (or those who want to build an airport in the southern hemisphere) will their seasons be flipped? Similarly, will airports near the equator not have much (if any) seasonal weather variation?

2. In addition to snowstorms, will there be other seasonal weather effects (hurricanes, typhoons, monsoon rains)? Certainly relevant if your airport is in the Caribbean, Pacific, or Indian subcontinent.

Thanks! <3

No, the seasons are not flipped. I guess we could add that, but I need to find some way to calculate wether a coordinate is placed on the southern or northern hemisphere. Pretty sure its just a quick google away.

We actually already do simulate those events “behind the curtains”, however since we have no visual way of presenting these (yet) they are skipped. These are the current implemented weather states:

Sunny, Hot, Drought, Wildfire, Clear, Dry, Cloudy, Humid, Wet, Rainy, RainStorm, Hail, HailStorm, Sleet, SleetStorm, Cold, Snow, SnowStorm, Blizzard, Avalanche, Windy, Hurricane, Typhoons, Tornado, SandStorm, Foggy, Mist

Most of them are simulated except for those that require more visual work such as wild fires, avalanche, blizzard, typhoons and tornadoes as well as fog and mist. These will be added later.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with a lot of posters here, 12 days/year seems too short. I get that it reflects one month each but maybe 24 or 48 days is a better idea. Or make it customizable by the player if the code can support that

Just by visualising the game, I would agree with @thetuque. Have each season be a week long, that way there is a smooth parallel running of the weekly flights schedule and the seasonal effects.
Imagine you are planning your weekly schedule having summer on Monday, and the next Monday, its peak winter and holiday rush.

But honestly, have to put in the game time to judge better.

1 Like

Another great DevLog from great developers :slight_smile:

BUT, that new time scale concerns me. You guys say it will be better than old system but I hope it doesn’t make the game un-real. For example how the day-night cycle will work? 3 days and 3 nights later what will be the game time? current time + 90 days?

A short video or even a GIF would answer all these questions and concerns.

We will keep the 12 day per year for now. Remember the first video took 40 minutes from 08:00 to 00:00 with minimal fast forward. So if the night was fast forwarded, a full year would take 8 hours to complete but of course this is something we will monitor once we release.

7 Likes

I agree. I’m not buying this game to speed through a year or two a night.

Should we not reserve judgment until such time that we have seen how that plays out?

8 Likes

I agree with that. It is hard to illustrate so we need to see how it looks like.

1 Like

Compliments indeed! Keep up the good work!
I too think that the in-game time redesign is a bit unbalanced, but I withhold my judgement until I see it in action for myself once the product is released.

1 Like

Without making any judgment on the amount of time compression, I’ll just point out that as @thetuque noted, there’s currently a mismatch between how flights are scheduled (7 day week) and game time progresses (3 day month, 4 month year).

For now I’d just make sure flights are scheduled by 3-day repeats, and the rest needs playing to evaluate.

4 Likes

I think while 12 days a year is acceptable, for those of us (aka all of us!) who will be playing this for the next 50 years (:wink:), 12 a year is a little short. Maybe 15 days a year or 20 even.

I think the next 50 years is pretty accurate. It will be the new Roller Coaster Tycoon.

1 Like

It takes about 8 hours real time to go thru one year, so no, not in one night unless you are a marathon gamer. Other than that tho, I do agree maybe 7 days/month or 7 days per season would be better to represent the 7 days of the week for weekly flights

3 Likes

So, newly joined scrub here, but wanted to throw in another thought that may have been considered but didn’t see posted.

The thought of having time options is a great thing in my opinion. Allows people to customize their playthrough. You want a taste of everything more often? The “default” 12 days/year option gives you that. Something where seasons feel seperated more, but not to the point where you are stuck in a seemingly endless winter etc…52 days/year (1 day/week), You want the long grind…1 day = 1 day.

I know like many, whether options like that are ever implemented, I will be enjoying the game for many many hours. Will close by congratulating the devs on making it this close to a release. The amount of effort you have put in, in my opinion, will lead to an amazing game that I hope will bring you more than enough return to have made the project completely worthwhile for you. Awesome job!

Agree 7 day seasons would work with scheduling, though it might be a bit long per year (since it’d take over 16 hours to go through one year).

Newbie here - just watched the pre-alpha gameplay vids on the dev’s youtube channel and I have to say I’m incredibly excited.

Just to confirm, the 12-day/year change in time scale affects seasonal change only, is that correct?

I loved being able to see the detail of this sim unfold at the pace presented in the pre-alpha vids (with the option to speed up time if I wanted to) and I hope that hasn’t changed.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @Frazzetta ! :smiley: Hope you’ll enjoy your stay. I do think so about the time scale, but I’m not sure…

1 Like