DevLog 80: Steam Direct Update and Complex Terminal Layouts

Ooooh that’s a good point, you could adopt that model now. Like Singapore Changi does. Would make for an interesting layout :slight_smile:

Take your time. I’m going camping for a while so it’s fine by me to wait :slight_smile:

It’s done when it’s done in the scheme of 80 weeks a few days doesn’t add a lot of time.

2 Likes

Another great devlog another bug fixes (and sadly no release info :frowning: )

BUT, this unsymmetry on Taxiways and their connection with spots are triggering my OCD!

Also wondering, will be there a feature of asphalt apron roads?

No release date…
But another great DevLog - well done!

Keep up the good work and stay with your internal strategy!

I can understand your frustration, we have learned a lot in this two years in developing a game at this size. We have only done small simple games for fun before and never released them to the market. We are also very open that we are only two developers doing this on our free time, which does make the process slower than a team of full time developers.

Yes, Q1 was a rough estimate that turned out to be too optimistic, also since we decided to do quite major changes over Christmas period, we should have identified and communicated the risk of delays earlier on. Also we underestimated the time the company founding process and the Steam process would take. There were a lot of administrative things that needed to be done in a particular order, including many things that were completely new to us. That is of course a big lesson learned. We are also not alone in delaying releases, even many of the largest AAA games get delayed due to various reason.

I just want to end by saying that we never promised to announce anything. Instead everything that we say are very much being misinterpreted and rumors start to spread quickly. For example the reason we tweeted about adding Airport CEO to your wishlist was that we use this figure as a guideline for estimated sales. This enables us to prepare for the release and do some rough calculations on financial aspects such how much can be spent on an new assets, a skilled 2D artist, sound engineer, marketing, upgraded software and hardware etc. All to be able to speed up the development and rise the game to a new level after the release.

Unfortunately this was being taken as the release was imminent and people went sort of crazy… At the same time me and Olof was struggling with a fairly serious bug and were not really confident to announce anything yesterday. The bug is now solved and the same information still stands. We will announce price and release date when we are confident.

22 Likes

If it’s any consolation, i think only a small subset of users misread the signals. The rest is just hyped and very enthusiastic about the direction you’re taking the game :smiley:

2 Likes

In the developers devlog (Dev log 80) the developers included at the bottom that the game was been approved by steam and the developers now how control of when the game is being released. Any ideas of when it could be coming out?

Hello there @Finley17, I merged your topic with this DevLog topic. You can find your answer a couple of posts above here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate this response, though if I may add (and yes this is hard), you should improve your communication. Of course, in terms of communication, if the receiver is still mixed up with the information, maybe a better way to convey the information should be needed.

That being said, I’m surprised you plan to spend/hire a marketing person.

@Finley17: check the responses above.

Quick question for @Olof and @Fredrik or anyone who might be able to answer this and I know it has been discussed before but not confirmed. Since complex terminals can now be created, does that mean that multiple terminals can also be made?

Maybe, worst for the developers to answer

We have no plans to hire a marketing person. Marketing can be anything from social media ads, promo material etc. We do not plan to spend a lot of money on this but I threw it in there to make a point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are still testing this but In theory yes. As long as all arriving passengers have access to all security checkpoints to the different terminals as the passengers will arrive at random locations at the airport (at least for now). Otherwise they will be stuck at the wrong terminal.

2 Likes

Ah, so multiple terminals are possible as long as there is some walkway between them… in theory

2 Likes

@Fredrik I wonder if its possible to build airport like this one, without the side taxiway will the plane turn at he end of the runway, if it was build like this?

I saw from 3rd gameplay video that aircrafts can turn around on runway and exit from the nearest taxiway but I wonder what they will do on departure…

1 Like

Hey guys! I was just re-reding the Devlog and loved the new flexibility with security zones!

And yeah, the crazy taxiways look awesome! But, I just noticed a very small connection on the top right corner.

@Olof or @Fredrik, is there anything to prevent small connections like this? I mean, the diameter of the aircraft body itself (not wingspan) wouldn’t fit this taxiway, right?

Thanks for another great DevLog!

1 Like

Yes, but we have not done a lot of testing on this type of layout so there is always chance for unexpected situations to occur.

They will taxi to the nearest holding point to the take off position which is in the beginning of the runway depending on the current direction (based on wind direction).

Basically the step is that you first lay the foundation and then place the taxiway path. The width of the taxiway is in your hands and there are no restrictions or warnings regarding too narrow taxiway as of now. Might be implemented in the future but I don’t see it as an urgent addition.

9 Likes

@Fredrik i see mentioned that the take off position/direction changes with wind… does that mean multiple runways will take off in same direction as in a real airport? Also well we have the ability to close/open runways when we need to? For example, we want to rework a taxiway and only to do so would be to close the runway temporarily and move it…

On side note will construction on a taxiway or runway Cause air traffic and ground traffic to reroute around construction meaning we’d have to make a temporary path for traffic as in real life ?