DevLog 81: Testing, testing and postponing

And we simply wait. Thanks for the update and good luck fixing the remaining game-breaking bugs. Publish it when it has the functionality as you require, otherwise you will also disappoint yourselves. :wink: Nothing more to add.

4 Likes

Totally understandable position and agree this is the best course for action. No body wants a broken game. And for those harping on for some reason about the communication, I feel a weekly update is sufficient as I would rather you spend time working on the development than releasing press releases every day.

4 Likes

Guys, when your car breaks down do you go and ask around the neighborhood wether you should fix this or not before your girlfriend will be using it for yoga class? No. You will fix it otherwise you will probably lose your head. ACEO is that car to Olof and Fredrik and their objective now is to get us to that yoga class. May that be without AC or any luxury at all, weā€™ll need to get there safe. And if they postponed the release date that means that ACEO isnā€™t ready. And as much as most of you are upset, you would be even more upset when youā€™ll have paid for a game that is unplayable.

We are all waiting, and the time will come

Wait it out and enjoy the game when itā€™s ready.

12 Likes

Honestly? That was very obvious bec both Fredrik and Olof have been super quiet these last days. They were obviously more involved in ACEO testing than they had planned.

I am disappointed, too. But thatā€™s about it. My experience with SimAirport is that releasing a game in alpha state is dumbassery. Early Access is meant to be Beta gameplay. Functioning gameplay with not overall gamebreaking bugs.

Many people (and tbh I think those must be the young-aged member and thatā€™s totally fine) need to adjust attitude and learn it is not their decision what happens. It never was. The Devs are kind enough to listen A LOT and reply A LOT. This is a perk to this community and no requestable standard as this is afterall their business and they and they alone carry the consequences.

PA exploited the EA system if it released virtually unplayable in the sense to be a Prison-building tycoon. These Sweds actually got it right.

So, directly to FREDRIK AND OLOF:
You did the right decision listening to yourself. Sure, this testing came in (too) late but wth! You acknowledge, you improve. That is how it works. You stand by your standards and only that way your product will become what you envisioned.
You are just two men and in gaming slang: Noobs. Not in everything and also not insultive how it is wrongly used these days, of course, but you learn what it means to step wrongly. How good of developers and businessmen you are will be determined by your learning curve amd that is where you will be judged.

I can wait and so can many othersā€¦ and the others? They whine now but go buy a game for 20-30ā‚¬$Ā£Ā„ and be annoyed it isnt playable and you essentially wasted youe moneyā€¦ :smiley:

Not sure I made 100% sense. A horny female cat is yelling through the houseā€¦

10 Likes

Hi,

Itā€™s really bad that the game have been delayedā€¦ I really thought the game was coming out this month, had my trust in you. Last dev log we wasnā€™t given any release date, but you told us and I quote " And frankly, itā€™s always more fun to drop news out of the blue than in a devlog." Didnā€™t you now last week that this delay was gonna happen?

I respect your work a lot and will buy the game no matter what. But this sucks, feels like your are teasing usā€¦ Iā€™m not mad that the game is delayed, Iā€™m disappointed with the teasing and bad communication.

p.s . I was right about the internal date, 25th. Thought you were gonna release that date, since itā€™s payday in Sweden.

meme-kermit-drinking-tea-but-thats-none-of-business

3 Likes

I was really excited for it (in fact, I could play it even if it crashed every 5mins) but I totally respect your decision. It is YOUR game, you spent freaking 2 years doing this and you have been extremely open to the community, which I havenā€™t seen at any other game. So take your time, fix those game-breaking bugs as everyone said (Iā€™m sure even Steam users will not mind a few minor bugs) and release the game when you feel truly confident that it is at a playable state. And seriously no pressure but it would be nice if it wasnā€™t delayed that much. I hope September is the last deadline. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Youā€™re never going to be able to get all of the bugs squashed before the thousands of hours the community is going to put into the game over the release weekend, but putting the effort in early to release the most polished product possible will always be better than a release now, patch later style.

2 Likes

I cannot believe what Iā€™m reading. Very disappointed. I spent the whole of August since release date watching the steam page, forum and Twitter, for you to come and tell us this at the very end of the month. Itā€™s not going to need to be perfect to get people to love it. As an avid prison architect fan I have watched that go from strength to strength over the years, developing and going from a bare bones structure in early access to its final release. We were told Q1 by you guys, then August and now not August, I think that the whole community would agree, that because we have been messed around so much, some more openness on price, multiple weekly updates on possible release dates and more invites to beta testing would really be of benefit. We know you guys work so hard, but it will get easier to quash the bugs with more people playing. @Olof @Fredrik keep on going, but please be more open, more often.

Thanks

A guy who loves the 747-100

1 Like

Thanks for your support and understanding!

To be honest, we expected worse reaction from the community, so it is nice that people are still supportive and trusting us. It was probably the worst DevLog to write and not at all fun to be the messenger of such decision.

Again huge thanks for your support! :airplane:

39 Likes

I think most of us here are glad for your transparency and wish you the best in the code tackling. Take as much time as you need to release a game you are happy with!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been following you guys since devlog 30 or something, and I personally donā€™t mind a little bit extra waiting if it is more stable.

2 Likes

The only thing I really, i mean REALLY have to critizise is: Why are there no pics or videos. We are all just very hyped. Why you cant give us, like all the last devblogs, at least a [redacted] screenshot. Or can you consider streaming a coding session? You dont have to talk, but it would give a sense of progress ā€¦

sep

9 Likes

I think that you have taken the right decision in this case. It must not have been easy, but letā€™s remember that thereā€™s only one possiblity to make a good first impression, so itā€™s better to make it count! More testing by yourselves, friends and family means less game breaking bugs for the final users. IF this means no release in Augustā€¦ well itā€™s worth the waitā€¦

2 Likes

Well, back to SimAirport to quench my airport addiction :wink:
But seriously, the way i feel about this is that as tgis is your first game release you are worried about the initial response of the community, which is totally understandable. What I donā€™t think you realise is that you arenā€™t releasing a full game a version 1.0, You are releasing an alpha, EA title, and this is what steam has to say about that.

ā€œGet immediate access to games that are being developed with the communityā€™s involvement. These are games that evolve as you play them, as you give feedback, and as the developers update and add content.ā€

Almost every other EA game release I can remember (even games that in turn became successful) were launched into alpha, with bugs, problems, frequent crashes, and you know what? Some people complained, thereā€™s always someone that complains but these people are people that donā€™t see potential. They abandon the games instead of helping the developers fix their game.
Imagine that the scale of your testing was multiplied by 100? Surely you would find more bugs faster, a community of airport lovers who would see the potential of you game even if it was flawed. Donā€™t however launch with alot of game breaking bugs (I didnā€™t say none, I said alot) the community will gladly tell you what the big (and small) bugs as long as you consistently fix them and show them that they are being listened to. Oh and donā€™t leave stupid stuff like passengers not knowing how TO QUEUE! Sorry, just venting there, stupid passengersā€¦Simaiirrrrpp.
Which brings me to the subject of the ā€œOther Gameā€, I think that watching it like as if it were beached whale held back by the community stressed you out, understandable, but the difference is that the rate at which they fix bugs is quite slow and it was obviously rushed. Airport CEO will not feel rushed; because it wasnā€™t.

In conclusion (TL;DR)
Just be more trusting of all of us, we donā€™t bite (most of the time :wink:), I know that releasing something you have worked on for two years is stressful ā€œdid we fix that bug that I noticed a year and a half ago?? I have to absolutely squash itā€¦ But where is it?ā€. Now, what you have to do is be alot more clear about exactly what is happening (not that you werenā€™t being clear before), some community will start to get seriously annoyed, which could cause even MORE damage to sales or reputation that releasing it with alot of MINOR bugs and a few big ones. Itā€™s solvable right?
Anyways, just my personal opinion, donā€™t want to right too much HOOLY i have written alot, well, good luck then guys, thatā€™s all. :smiley:
P.S Didnā€™t proof-read any of this thing, probvably has more mistakes than simairport at launch :stuck_out_tongue:

P.P.S. I play OMSI look how bugged out that is, but I LOVE it.

7 Likes

Your tldr is about as long as the original message :wink:

8 Likes

I really donā€™t understand the commenters on here saying phrases like ā€œbe more open, more oftenā€ - what other game in development provides a weekly update detailing internal bug bashing in addition to how they are working on new content?

If these issues arose in the last week or so, then of course they would never have had an idea until then that the game was going to have to be delayed.

Iā€™ll echo what some others have said, donā€™t add new features, fix the bugs you know of, maybe have a limited extended circle of testers (different play styles will create different issues, in addition to those youā€™ve already found), then release and follow the PA model of reiterate and improve regularly.

But yes, totally the correct decision, itā€™ll do your PR a ton of good in the long run compared to the alternative.

5 Likes

Guys, lets cheer up :slight_smile: There are 657 Ā± 1,287 owners of Airport CEO at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

https://steamdb.info/app/673610/graphs/

(Yea I know it is a bugā€¦ maybe it isnā€™t and devs are hiding something from us? :open_mouth: )

1 Like

Quote from me by FB:

Blockquote
Move the Date on Steam and release the Game on 25th as preAlpha on your Website for Money.
This solved the critical response Problem by Steam and the Other can buy this with the Information and help to find bugs.
//Sry for Bad English

2 Likes

It is not a bad idea but we are not prepared for accepting sales directly on our website. This is a pretty big administrative tasks and not to mention the legal requirements for example ensuring the correct VAT is paid in each customers country of origin. So if we have 100 sales from, letā€™s say, Italy, we must ensure that the VAT is paid to the Italian tax authorities. This will ultimately take precious time from us, which we could have been spent on fixing critical bugs. So the benefit of using a distributor is that they will handle this for you, hence our choice to go for Steam.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s right i have this forget.
;-(

*Edit:
And use as Payment ā€œPayPalā€ ? This calculated the automatic(?) and this with a sell download like payloadz?

1 Like