DevLog 81: Testing, testing and postponing

Any potential income that ACEO generates will be re-invested in the product, i.e. allowing us to develop the game full time, bringing an artist on board and perhaps expanding the team with additional resources, all with the purpose of making sure that ACEO lives up to its potential.

This para satisfied my diassapointment and frustration.
Keep it up Devs. We are still with you. Just make sure u don’t postpone it again.

2 Likes

Delaying the game is frustrating when we are all looking forward to playing this game. We are all hyped but the devs are right to hold off if there are game breaking bugs.

We all want this game to be great and as the threads on the forum show there are tonnes of great new features we want. However bad scores now from reviews or youtubers will effect sales. A lack of sale results in fewer funds to be reinvested in the product which either means slower development of new features or bug bashing or god forbid the project being dropped. Therefore this decision is in our, the consumers, interest.

Also it shows some incredible care for their community. Many have talked about AAA titles being delayed to justify the decision but I feel more importantly to think of AAA titles that don’t get delayed and released a buggy mess. I appreciate that large companies have other factors but ths project is two guys who will try to live off the proceeds and start a career from it. They could have taken out money but haven’t and I think despite all our hype for the game we shouldn’t forget that.

Well that’s just my two pence

4 Likes

Aaaaaahhhhhh!!! I understand the reasoning but I am kinda frustrated

2 Likes

I followed this project from YouTube to Twitter, then I started reading the dev logs and am now on this forum…
I was ready to buy the early access for any price and play it 24/7…
I was disapointed (I’m not anymore) that the release was postponed, but I realised I want the game to get big and for that to happen it has to be playable from the beginning… :slight_smile: So I completely understand the devs point of view !

And now my opinion on some previous posts… :smiley:

I have no more to say, it’s perfectly described… :slight_smile:

That’s a good point, you worked so hard for two long years, where some of the users which complain about the waiting, only follow this project since this year… They don’t realise that the ones who suffer the most about this, are the developers…

I completely agree on this one :smiley:

It’s easy to say that the communication is bad… I think if you really want to help the devs, try to explain how you would do it better :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bjorn, post:43, topic:2571, full:false”]Guys, when your car breaks down do you go and ask around the neighborhood wether you should fix this or not before your girlfriend will be using it for yoga class? No. You will fix it otherwise you will probably lose your head. ACEO is that car to Olof and Fredrik and their objective now is to get us to that yoga class. May that be without AC or any luxury at all, we’ll need to get there safe. And if they postponed the release date that means that ACEO isn’t ready. And as much as most of you are upset, you would be even more upset when you’ll have paid for a game that is unplayable.

We are all waiting, and the time will come

Wait it out and enjoy the game when it’s ready.[/quote]
True… :smiley:

As some people already pointed out, weekly updates are more than enough. That’s more than most of the game developers do. And I experienced myself how much time you invest into writing dev logs and change logs, if you wanna do it right! So most of us would rather see the time spent into developing and fixing the bugs than seeing it wasted into writing more dev logs.

That’s not true in the beginning when there are multiple bugs and you cannot be sure that everyone sticks to the reporting rules like “only report major bugs”, “explain your steps until the bug occured”, “order your text and your report so it’s easy to read”.
And even if you try, you would have to explain what you consider as major bugs…
It’s more time consuming than really helpful.
Close friends and family, you can just talk to them at dinner, or call them. It’s much easier to understand the problem and fix it.

That’s all :slight_smile: have a good day

3 Likes

Yes i have seen a youtuber who was not accepting payments for something he was selling until a certain date, and then in a matter of a day, over 20000 came into his account, and paypal was like "this is suspicious, lets take the money away from him, jsut in case. If theres nothing wrong, he can just reclaim it (in 1-6 months, and its always the latter) but he was counting on that 20 grand, having investd most of his money on packaging and etc. hewss counting on that 20 grand, so he could pay rent, bills, etc

Im sorry, can you explain this for all of us not living in Europe?

After almost 15 years of planning, construction began in 2006. Originally planned to open in 2010, the airport has encountered a series of delays and cost overruns due to poor construction planning, execution, management, and corruption. Current estimates suggest the airport will open in 2019.

4 Likes

It is better to release a working copy of the product over rushing it out to meet deadlines. Improved quality is worth a few more weeks of waiting, definitely the right decision.

4 Likes

The impatient attitude like that will translate almost directly into getting frustrated by game breaking bugs.

It’s quite amusing that for most of the community that will wait are the ones who don’t need to wait but for those who want it and they want it right now it actually benefits that it is delayed and comes out in better shape as they are more likely to go by first impressions… #HumansAreWeird

6 Likes

I (personally) don’t worry about how far they have to push back a release date. I would like to play it right now for sure, but I would like to have a good experience with it. I am totally prepared for some bugs, it will and always does happen. But, these college guys seem to keep everyone in the loop with some brutal honesty. That extends them some serious leeway in my mind. CONCEPT ALERT: TRUTH IN ADVERTISING? HOLY CRAP. Thanks for refreshing honesty. Take your time, make it great.

1 Like

You really are looking at this in a short sided manner.

Understandable :slight_smile: We will all wait. This product is not running away from us. Bugs exist in all games (more and less). But better to be confident when its going to be released than just release and be unsure if you did the right thing.

Dont understand how people can be upset. Its a game under development and quality takes time. It can take days/weeks/months. All depends how much needs to be done/fixed/upgrading.

2 Likes

Thanks, as always

1 Like

For all of you commenting that the devs should not add new features till release:

But we have now 100% committed not to add any new functionality before the release.

1 Like

This is expected from proper, educated and balanced designers - well done for having the integrity and honesty to say what needed to be said and then get back to the ‘meat and bones’ of it.

Well done and i am looking forward to the release!

4 Likes

Good luck devs!

1 Like

Hmmm actually a little bit of observation here:

In order to be “greenlit” by Steam, the devs have to upload their release build to Steam so Steam can test the build. We know that Steam has approved the devs’ build, through DevLog 80. However, we learn that in DevLog 81, Fredrik and Olof found major bugs in their game.

Concluding this observation:
a. Steam is not committed to test the game build
b. The major bugs are late-game (or maybe takes a longer time to process, hence why Steam misses it and why more time is needed to bug-bash).

1 Like

I wonder why they cannot release an earlier build that works stable. As @ReV0LT wrote, Steam should have tested it whether it’s “greenlit” or not.

To my understanding Steam doesn’t do bug testing. Basically they start the software to ensure it matches the description and does not contain any malware etc. Then, I assume they click around for a few minutes until they see that it actually has functionality and “works”. So it is not the same thing as a tester playing for hours.

7 Likes

I don’t think Steam actually tests the game for bugs. I mean, The will probably test the game doesn’t immediately crash to desktop.
But they allowed Fidget Spinner Simulator, so their standard of what is allowed… let’s say rock bottom is an understatement :slight_smile:

Edit; Ninja’d by Fredrik… oh well, worse things can happen :slight_smile:

4 Likes