Forum Etiquette. (Be polite)

Please stop harassing each other. When people post questions and such, don’t be rude and tell them to use the search function. Maybe they have tried, and didn’t find it or they forgot. Their question is still valid, and the response should still be polite. If we post a question that’s been covered by another forum-thread, then post that thread so we can find it. Just as the forum mods on Steam Community does, they close the topic, and tell the initial poster where to find what they’re looking for.

7 Likes

You are correct that we should stay civil, but i hope that You understand that it gets kind of annoying to keep reading posts containing questions that have been asked before again and again.
If people could spend just a little more time searching, it would save a lot of annoyance to all :slight_smile:

Edit: I notice that you are not the one who asked an already answered question, so you’re trying to call harassment on behalf of someone else…

4 Likes

You are right on all accounts. It’s annoying to read the same question over and over again, but the reply should be a link to the thread the questioneer are looking for. This ensures that the threads that covers most questions will be more active, and then minimize the amount of repeating questions.

Also, yes i am not speaking for me as a questioneer. I however find it annoying when i find a thread (question : XXX XXX?) and there is no reply to the question, just “this has already been asked, search”. It’s trickyer to find what you’re looking for, thus this thread.

I believe everyone makes mistakes and can be unlucky with which words you search with. I agree that often people are told to use the search function in a rude way. I think it could be said more polite while still mentioning the search function. Because I think that people should be informed there is a search function to avoid lots of threads about the same topic. The reply could be something like this:

Hi, name. Interesting question :slight_smile: You might find you answer in this thread LINK

If you feel that thread is not handling your topic feel free to write a reply to me in this thread stating why not. Otherwise ask your question once more but in that thread.

Maybe you tried using the search function otherwise give it a try next time :wink:

6 Likes

Within the flagged options there should be an “already discussed” option where you can link it to the post it’s been discussed, such that devs (and moderators) can quickly and easily close and merge threads without having to use the search function themselves.

6 Likes

I agree with this, it would also save the hassle of having to write a reply about it

2 Likes

@Bigbigcheese has the right idea :slight_smile:

I don’t agree, because then the poster would be none the wiser

Yup… it better to clarify the reason for thread merge rather than just flagging. Creates misunderstanding (I hate that word🙁).

Rather the future moderator chosen by devs should be given the duty of closing and merging threads. This would help in preventing ‘misunderstanding’.

The merging of a thread could include a “why” button when the mods do it, they can either add their own response or just click a button that adds a pre-formulated response ie “Closed due to previous similar topic, please refer to the forum FAQ for further information”.

Interesting thread as I have come close to posting a comment about this for the past 2 weeks, but held off, I think there was a day when I logged on to the forum and the majority of the page was either closed threads or had short comments referring people to other threads.

So in response to this “it would save a lot of annoyance to all”, no the original poster is not the only one who has found the forum falls short on general etiquette and almost my god how fortunate people are if this is the thing that they find annoying in the world.

1 Like

I’m very sad to read that there are multiple people who think that the forum falls short on general etiquette, and I hope that this is not because of me… I’ve always tried to point people in a friendly and polite manner to an existing discussion.

I would say: just post your discussion after a good search… We all make errors and finding out if a discussion is already existing can be difficult (because of different wording, terms and etc…), especially for new users who don’t have any knowledge about past discussions.

I don’t think that anybody is going to kill you for creating a discussion that already exists. Although it can be sometimes a bit annoying when the subject is already discussed in 15 different discussions. At this point, the user surely could’ve found it with a simple search.

1 Like

No don’t worry… I bet it’s because of me and @Bigbigcheese.:joy:

Time for a forum moderator :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh the joys and fun of picking the right forum moderator, I used to admin an online game, well kinda still do, and from time to time I had to pick moderators. Its just too much hassle, perfectly normal ‘looking people’ just turn into forum police and take it too seriously, power goes to the heads and happy go clicky with the closing of threads.

This community is not big enough for a moderator… yet, people just need to make sensible well thought out posts and have the patience with new members who join and what to understand how this game might work.

Assuming this game goes ‘big’ which looks like it could, a few repeat questions are going to be the last of the worries when the trolls start to appear.

1 Like

Let the moderator grow with the community. Better know sooner than later if a mod is bad. Let him earn respect :slight_smile:

I think the forum is big enough for TWO moderaters now.

I can just about manage to keep on top of the forum, I think one should be able to as long as they don’t have to go back and read everything to get the base understanding of what’s been said. Currently i’ve read everything, though i’m beginning to fall behind if I miss a day…

Same here, I have read nearly every thread in the forum, and every thread made after I joined.

Hello! We’ve read everything here and agree that it is time to bring on some moderation help, we are preparing the infrastructure for this as of now and will hopefully soon be able to resolve this matter. Thanks for bringing this up! <3

4 Likes