Government support

Not sure if this has been discussed before, or not sure exactly how/if it would work in the game but I like the idea of the government of the country the airport is based in offering subsidies to help funding the building of airports or creating additions to be able to fulfill contracts.

3 Likes

that sounds like a good idea

1 Like

I guess the money you start with is from the government. Of course it could be a nice addition if the government could give more money if you upgrade the airport or give cheap loans. If the game has different levels of difficulty the amount of help from the government could be a difference between levels.

2 Likes

Sort of like prison architect with its grants

I suppose the difference could be that you get extra conditions to fulfil in order to receive the additional money?

You could use the railroad tycoon 3 system of bronze, silver and gold goals, giving the player the choice of how far he wants to go

Yea, you’d have to accomplish certain objectives to get extra money. For example, if you get your first international flight, you could get a grant. If you host the national airline you could get some money too.

Yeah things like that, or bring a certain number of passengers into the region/country/city and receive extra funding

Another thing that could be an interesting addition, storing travelling military aircraft? Say offering refueling and turnaround for non-air force specific aircraft (ex. military variant Learjets, CRJs, etc. for general transport), or housing them for a period while unneeded. I know some airports act as dual agencies, having a runway or two sectioned off for military use for a nearby/attached base, while also having a standard set of runways to civilian terminals (I’m thinking specifically of an airport in Japan, but I can’t for the life of me recall which it is). As well, some airports serve as coast guard headquarters if near coastlines. Could receive government funding for setting up a section of airfield for their services, for example. Just a thought to add a bit of depth to funding.

Edit: I think it’s Komatsu Airport, however in doing some research there’s also a number of American airports that serve both military and civilian interests (albeit under AFB/AAF designations)

1 Like

This was one of the scenarios i had in mind

Here

I think you money would realistically be a grant at the start, and whilst I know the developers don’t want to copy Prison Architect, their grants system seems to be the best approach IMO. A grant would be available when you meet certain criteria, and on completion of the requirements a reward is given to the CEO.

I also wonder about government support of smaller flights - this exists in many places around the world, including Scotland (flights to the remote islands) and of course the extensive Essential Air Service subsidies in the US.

Perhaps these subsidised flights would be an interesting addition to the game? The government would support a service to a small destination. There would be a good financial reward for this (disproportionately high compared to what that flight would ordinarily attract), but would come with more restrictions (fewer passengers, perhaps a more rigid contract and fixed flight times?). This could be a good revenue stream at the start of the game (where your airport is the small one and possibly might even rely on a few of these contracts to get going), and as the game progresses it keeps some variety in your operations.

1 Like

So basically the ideas mentioned here?

No, read it again. After my brief discussion of grants (which of course have been mentioned already) I’ve suggested government subsidised flights that have a different contract system to regular scheduled flights. That hasn’t been mentioned before on this thread.

Good ideas, in regards to the overall economy system I would say that this is where we have made the least advancements so here we can have a lot of interesting comments and idea sharing.

So far, we have outlined the following key players that’ll interact with your cashflow in a 1.0 build:

• The Government: Gives you your initial batch of cash. Will help you with grants (as mentioned in this topic) but is also your closest stake holder and have a very large interest in the operations of your airport. Might pass new legislation that’ll have impact on your operations.

• The Bank: Gives you loans, you pay interest.

• The Airlines: Traffics your airport and purchases turnaround services. Are very interested in your operations in regards to their flights.

• The Businesses: Operates your stores and pays you rent and sales shares, relies on passenger input.

• The Suppliers: Supplies your airport with commodities such as aviation fuel, contractors and produce for catering.

• The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration): Supervising Authority making sure that your airport operations follow national legislation, might pass new rules that’ll affect your operations.

And, of course, more. All minor ideas such as parking aircraft and stuff like that, special deals with destination (i.e. minor “quests” lol) is also something we’ve looked at. Keep brainstorming!

6 Likes

How about sponsors? You could name a terminal in exchange for money or you could add advertising spots in your terminal that brands and airlines could use.

1 Like

Yeah, true, advertisement should be included in that list as well, for example one could build a podium on which a sponsor would be able to stage a car lottery.

4 Likes

Just want to say, it shouldn’t be the FAA, it should be the ICAO or IATA because some people will get angry when they want to build airports outside the U.S…

The FAA for the US, alongside the CAA for the UK with whom I hold my pilots license, all derive their legislation from the ICAO documents so, since the country this airport is going to be in is unknown it might make more sense to just be governed from the top

Hopefully should be a simple ctrl+f and replace though, and just something that adds more realism to those outside the U.S?

I like the opinion that an Airline choose your Airport as an HQ and will spend some money for extras… like terminals, parking lots etc.

1 Like

What about for the supervising; where ever the airport is located then that aviation supervising will super vise the airport like the FAA for the U.S. and the CAA for Canada and the other nations etc…

Not sure what that will add to the game. We can’t implement local rules, that would be way to advance and complex.