Is my airport just too big? :(

Working on a new massive airport in Sandbox Mode, not in any way finished yet. Trying to load it up this morning and it doesn’t load. Just hangs on the loading screen. It saved just fine last night. I noticed that the other two saves that work are 7Mb and 12Mb, and this save folder is 44Mb.

So is it just too big? Have I hit a limit? :sob:

Working on the latest experimental branch as of this afternoon (see screenshot below), last night was playing Alpha 32.8-0, and the save was saved in that version.

I zipped up the save here.

Thanks!

John

Just for clarity, I have a decent spec. Macbook Pro (with external Radeon Vega 56 GPU) and 512Gb SSD

Cheers

John

It’s too big to download, can you fax it? :smirk:

No, seriously, it’s very big and it needs some time, but I could open it.

1 Like

It takes quite a few minutes, though.
I saved it again too see if there’s a difference, but the StructureData is again 42 MB.

Does it fly?
I mean, there were no flights in it, could you run it?

Trying now… :slight_smile: (and thanks for taking a look!)

:crossed_fingers:

Still going…

How long did it take to load with you? It’s been going about 10m now :thinking:

I didn’t check.

I also loaded the file into a text editor to see if it is corrupt. (It isn’t.)
Now the text editor is closing the file since 10 minutes. :grin:

1 Like

Woop. It just loaded. After 20m. Maybe the dev team could have a look to see if this can be improved? Slightly worried about how long that will take once I actually have flights, and objects etc. :confused:

Thanks for having a look!

1 Like

It was definitely faster than that.

Operating system: Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit
RAM size: 16 GB

Processor Device

Type: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core count: 12
Frequency: 3 GHz

Structures is always the biggest portion of the loading with me. Bigger saves take longer loading time that’s the way it is.

It could be loaded much much faster if it wasn’t a readable text file.
But then we couldn’t fiddle with the saved-games-file any more and I like to keep that possibility.

1 Like

Indeed, if it was a binary format it could be loaded much faster. There are probably more efficient text formats than JSON (it requires to be entirely loaded into RAM rather than streamed) etc.

We’re in alpha? The encryptions are most probably held back to facilitate the development. Us abusing this to edit them is just a sideeffect, not a goal.

Not sure I agree, games like this are loved because of flexibility. Make it a lovely fast binary format, then make a game data editor.

And I’m not complaining about the load time really, would love to be able to build monster airports by the time it gets to release and not have it take 20m to load though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

42 MB RAM doesn’t scare me. I think streaming that would not make it faster.

@dewitjur I hope you’re wrong, or maybe they keep the json-interface for modding-support.

Just under 10 minutes for me to load it. iMac with 24GB Ram and 512SSD. Late 2017 5k iMac.

My actual airport takes 20-50 minutes to load. All-time-record: 75 mins.
Yes, it’s really big…

Make it a lovely fast binary format, then make a game data editor.

I would REALLY appreciate this solution!

1 Like

My actual airport now takes around 115 minutes to load, regularly… :frowning: