McConnell International Airport - Wichita, KA

I’ve been experimenting with different layouts, and created an American International airport design, with three terminals (two domestic, one international), 58 stands (50 medium, 8 large), 3 runways (2 medium, 1 large), with efficient parking and passenger drop-off system, inspired by SFO and LAX. Unsure whether to complete the design or not (since the game can’t really handle designs of this scale well yet), but I enjoy working with the map size limitations whilst ensuring there’s no wing clippings!

The airport is strategically designed so that, with a manual flight plan, with 20 minute intervals, 10 minute gaps in each stands first flight of the day, and with nighttime flying restrictions, the runways operate at maximum capacity. Both medium runways can have a take-off/landing every 10 minutes from 05:00 - 17:40. With this approach, each medium runway can handle a maximum of 26 stands, with each stand serving 3 flights everyday. From aircraft spawning to clearing the runway, planes take around 10 in-game minutes. This airport has 25 medium stands for each medium runway, due to space constraints and to allow a little leeway for inevitable ACEO delays!

3 Likes

We need more round sofas! There is too little here for it to be really made by you (@awtkn).

2 Likes

Haha, you’re right to be fair.

1 Like

@awtkn, are you going to seperate departures and arrivals and domestic arrivals from international arrivals? I am pretty sure hat that is 100% mandatory for U.S. airports. Kansas might get an exception though because it is in the middle of nowhere! lol :smiley:
Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 9.56.58 AM

BTW whenever I look at your airports, it makes me want to do a redesign of the current play through I am doing, and then I go bankrupt. Great airport awtkn! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jet To be fair I’m not crystal clear on passenger segregation with American airports. So far I’ve designed this one to have two domestic terminals (1 and 2), where departing and arriving passengers aren’t segregated, and the baggage reclaim is not in a secure zone. For the international terminal (3), departing and arriving passengers are segregated, and the baggage reclaim will be in a secure zone. Let me know if this is right!

Thanks for your appreciation though!

1 Like

Yeah, it does look correct! Sorry, I was only looking at the domestic terminal, and I wasn’t accounting for the international terminal.

How do find the courage to build these types of airports? I give up maybe after medium aircraft with 2 stands for them. lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jet Just always been super strategic about design, maximising efficiency, and copying real world design in-game, whether it be this game, or games when I was young, such as RCT3, CIM2, SC4. I’m probably the only person on this forum who doesn’t really want a bigger map :laughing:

2 Likes