More Features vs. Less Bugs

Hello ACEO Community.

First off all, I am not making this topic to have arguments. I just want opinions. Now the question is, would you like to see more features, or more work on removing bugs. My opinion is a bit of both. Finish off and implement what features have been planned and then work on a big chunk of bug fixing.

Please leave comments on opinions, thanks!

Edit: I am not sure I’d this is in the right topic.

According to STEAM, I have now 75 hours of gaming time. And I encountered only a few smaller bugs:

• a single game crash (a Watchdog Violation that could have been related to my laptop, I am not sure)
  • freezing passengers & staff twice (I call it the “flashmob”, save and reload to solve, no real problem)
  • no collision system for vehicles & aircraft (not really a bug, but somehow annoying, I admit)

All other problems, like passengers ghost-walking through walls, were related to missing connections or zones (the game changed into problem-solve-mode, so to speak, letting people walk through walls to solve the problem of a missing valid path). :ghost:

Maybe I am just lucky, but I don’t see the need for a “big chunk of bug fixing”. It would be helpful if you, or anybody else who encountered bugs, could clearly name these. :face_with_monocle:

But I do see what you are referring to (I guess), namely the recent negative STEAM reviews talking of a “bug fest” or calling ACEO “unplayable”. In my opinion these reviews were written by people who did not have the patience to do all the complex stuff in the game, afterwards calling game related problems, like missing connections, “bugs”. :angry:
Unfortunately that’s life with STEAM reviews when you do a rather complex game, and I don’t see a way for the Devs to solve this. :roll_eyes:

This is only my opinion, of course, and I would like to hear others…

1 Like

Completely agree with you. I’ve not had any major issues and think that most bugs are probably people who just don’t put the time into make sure they know how systems work.

Steam reviews can be brutal and not particularly fair.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion.

For me, I have only come across 1 or 2 minor bugs while playing the game. What I meant was that the bugs should be fixed for people that call the game “Unplayble”. Though I am shifting now towards your side, because of the reasons you have stated. (That being people who call the game “bug hell” or “Unplayable”). Thanks for writing that very long comment. Gives me a lot to think about, Thanks very much :smile:

Edit: @Sepone Actually now that I think about it I am completely on your thinking. I agree with all your points. I do not really enjoy reading reviews that just say…

((NEGATIVE REVIEW))

It’s nOt On MoBiLe!?!?

2 Likes

I think that right now in the alpha phase of the game the devs really need to work on getting more features out and as a second priority they need to fix the bugs. They already spend a lot of time fixing bugs and I think that is great.

1 Like

I agree with the view that the Devs should work more on new features than bug fixes. One of my reasons for choosing the game was that I wanted something that would make me think and plan and it certainly does that. If someone new to the game is not prepared to put some thought into it one could deem it unplayable. I really struggled early on with huge problems with the baggage system as many seem to do. The problems I encountered turned out not to be bugs but my ineptitude and I suspect that this is the case with many of those who believe the game is buggy.

1 Like

The game has bugs, but none of them is a blocker. I need f10 debug-menu regularly to reset some situations (stuck people or so) but I never reached to a bug where I could not continue.

Currently, I’d like some new features and some UI/usability improvements and some bug fixes.

So, I’m with the OP: a bit of all.

And: I’m fine with the game right now, go ahead. :slightly_smiling_face:

New features are on the way. So far we know that these features will arrive when the time comes;

• Multiple floors
  • Multi separated terminal support
  • New airplanes; So far known are: Boeing B787, Beech 1900, Airbus A340-300 and Airbus A330-200
  • Catering
  • De-ice
  • Cleaning
  • New weather system
  • Contract Negotiations (check devblog 126)
  • Multiple Language Support (German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese) (check devblog 126)
  • One way doors (check devblog 126)

But meanwhile, bug fixes are also taking ation so gameplay will become more stable and fun. Just be patience, this game will be awesome when it finiashes Alpha and Beta stages and reaches to Full Release

4 Likes

During the introduction of the remote stands I did have so many issues with the ramp agents and the service car and, well, nothing really worked for me in the beginning. It really threw me off for a few months.

In terms of the priority, in the past 12 months, essentially since the last feature voting, we’ve only received one update, which were the remote stands. I know there has been the soundtrack update and the performance update, but those are updates with a lot of ‘behind the scenes’ and little actual visual meat for the players.

I know that the developers work hard and actively and that the performance update was very necessary, but the things I enjoyed the most from the past 12 months that I still actually use, is the new seating options and decoration. I hope that in the future the developers will (temporarily) move away from big projects that take months to ‘simpler’ things that can quickly be implemented and have an effect on how we play the game. (U-turn runway, splitting baggage bays, new types of vehicles with different specs that actually matter (not just cheap vs expensive), differentiating airlines, night stops or a small base system).

The elements are all things that could be realised in a week, meaning that the developers could for example spend a week per month on a quick gain, ensuring a steady flow of content updates

1 Like

More features, because I feel that as long as you go with the default branch (not experimental one) you won’t notice a speck of bugs, bugs in experimental ARE exactly why they’re called experimental branch… (And they got fixed there, so no need for a focused big chunk of bug fixing)

P.S. as @Sepone said, all the negative reviews in steam about bugs just show how impatient they’re building their airport, when it’s inefficient design (even in real life), people will get lost no matter what, so not 100% pathing problem here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I believe the people complaining about bugs on steam, will never make the effort of filing a bug report and thus not contribute at sending in bugged gameplays wich the devs need to find the causes and fix them.

To offer some insight, I think comparatively the current stable and experimental version (which are the same) are quite stable. However, this is if you play correctly and as has been mentioned here new players may not always play correctly. This is probably due to a combination of different issues including the inherent complexity of the game, unclear sections in the tutorial (which is and will be continuously improved) and clunky controls and or weird UI design (which will also be improved).

Considering this and how much time we’ve spent on bug fixing, performance improvements and alike it’s definitely time for some new feature. Especially since the changes of multiple floor and localization are so insanely fundamental, they have to be done at this point or never. However, we’re a lot better at coding and have a better circumventing understand of the system and with the help of the brilliant internal testers I think we’ll have much more qualitative releases ahead of us. With all of the new features reaching the experimental branch we’ll switch between bug fixing, continued performance improvements, continued UI and general design improvements and new feature development. We can’t really afford to again focus on solely one aspect but we’ll instead try to do small, faster deployments and iterate with bug fixing. This is why early access is a marathon and not a sprint.

I agree!

If there’s any more questions we’d be happy to answer them.

3 Likes

Fully agree to this.

But I want to add, that I am still concerned about bug fixing. There are some bugs, mostly not game-breaking, just annoying, existing for ages.
We got used to it and work around them.
But as I already wrote in December '18, I am missing progress about these “small bugs”.
Just to count some of them:
-“always send away” has never worked properly
-remote stands are still not working properly - buses are not considering travel-time to stand, so they arrive late at stand, if stand is not nearby
-boarding issues in general: boarding doesn’t close in-time. IRL boarding closes ~10-15min before departure, at the latest, depending on airport. here, if pax are missing, boarding closes anytime, but constantly way too late.

And, to point it out, again: It is not possible to run an airport with more than ~20 stands properly. but I hope this will change with multifloor/pathfinding/terminals-update…

To make it clear: I’m not worried about these bugs itselfs, I can handle them more or less, but I’am concerned that these bugs are known for more than 6 months and are still not solved.

So, after taking a ~4 month break from ACEO I am REALLY sad, that there was no visible progress about these, and some more, minor issues.

So as Olof mentioned here Airport CEO Alpha 30 released - #339 by Olof, I really hope that after multifloor release, there’ll be a huge, massive bug-fixing phase, BEFORE any additional content (like catering aso.) is added.

Planes are already permanently late, I don’t need any services extending these delays even more… :wink:

Half the things you mention though are not bugs.

A bug is all about broken code or processing issues.

What your taking about are Quality of life improvements to process such as changes to when processes begin and end such as boarding.

I’m afraid I’m not getting your point…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.