There was, as you might have noticed, no devlog posted for this week because we simply don’t want to allocate time for it. The last one took several hours to write and while that’s fine its also “lost” time when it comes to actually developing the game and with the last one being so content filled there really isn’t a need for 101 this week (at least we think so).
However, we thought we’d just quickly share a few notes on what we’re doing right now. Alpha 25 is getting updated on the experimental branch continuously and we’re currently devoting 50 percent of our development resources to bug fixing and 50 percent to the improved performance sprint. It’s been mentioned before but I’ll say it again, our current goal is to stabilize the default branch to the point where there are no more large scale game breaking bugs (and by large scale we mean bugs that are frequently reported and by game breaking we mean no way of getting past or avoiding them). Once the default branch is “stable enough” we will go ahead with a large path finding system overhaul on the production world (i.e. the world in which the game runs) where we will slowly begin implementing and testing the new path finding solution. We’ve been developing it for quite a while now, in an experimental setting, and while initial tests show promising numbers we now need to refine and apply it to our production environments to assess its real world impact so to say, so there’s still quite a lot to do. We will provide you with a more in-depth technical devlog once we’ve gotten a bit further and are more confident in its actual results. This is the ticket for this issue: https://apoapsisstudios.atlassian.net/browse/ACEO-3058
When it comes to bug fixing we’re this week mainly focusing on stuff that gets stuck. We’re overhauling the agent’s exception handling as the saves you’ve sent us has enabled us to find a few areas where the current system is lacking. This revolves around all agents that follow non-linear event paths, i.e. everything except aircraft. This is the ticket for that issue: https://apoapsisstudios.atlassian.net/browse/ACEO-3402. Speaking of bug fixes, we’ve seen a few comments questioning why we’d devote time to smaller issues such as shadow alignment when there are other things we need to focus on. The short answer is that we take care of smaller bugs whenever we need a break from something bigger we’re working on, it’s easy to get stuck on something that’s a sub-problem of a problem and it usually helps to divert your mind to something else for a while, a quick fix or some polish, than hammering away at whatever you can’t solve. It’s also definitely a way better use of your time, from a larger perspective.
Lastly, we’ve also started prototyping the overhauled UI, on a conceptual level, but are holding off on this a bit as we don’t want too juggle too many larger projects at the same time, at least not from an implementation perspective. Meanwhile we’re doing that, @Jettuh has also been busy refining the few remaining untouched assets and am also busy creating new stuff (product related). Here’s a conceptual image from what we’ve been collaborating on this week:
Edit: Updated image as Jettuh suggested…
All right, time to stop writing and get back to it but now you know!