PEN - Penang International Airport

Now that A35 - The Terminal Update - has been released, I am busy tweaking my PEN design accordingly. I have got my domestic and international terminals setup, but am having some challenges there. This is mainly due to the design of PEN that has the two terminals almost overlapping, but not a big issue.

Another challenge is that the international stands are a mixture of med/large, as per the actual airport, but no international medium flights are coming through.

I have added a couple of airline lounges just because, and obviously had to add passport control to the international terminal, which required some modifications to the terminal to accommodate this, but trying to stay as true to life to the actual airport as much as I can.

right, with A35 only international for large stands and domestic for medium/small stands. but there is a hidden toggle in the menu (top right) under Game Play for realistic flight.

Thanks, will check it out. Am having fun with the new update, it is a great improvement, and those walkalators make ME dizzy when playing at max speed, lol.

1 Like

oh forgot to say, once you turn on that toggle in game play, you can toggle your stands to be international or domestic, Keep in mind that you will be offered flights depending on what country you are in, how many airports are in that country (you can see how many are in the country youre in by click on the CEO image in the Operations Menu), as well as how far the available destination airports are and what aircraft you have in your contact… etc… so minor tweaking will be required when deciding what stands you have and if they are international or domestic with this option activated.

for example if you are in a small country with only a few airports you might not get many if any domestic medium offered flights as the required distance for medium aircraft might exceed the airport destination distance in your country etc… so just keep that in mind as you design and build your airport…

Thanks, did figure the international/domestic toggle on the stands out.

Penang is in Malaysia, am getting plenty of domestic flights. On the International front, it’s not too bad either. However, I have a QR 787 that flies anyway except Doha, but a Cathay Dragon A330 (included that as it does sometimes fly to Penang along with a 738), offers me flights to Doha… alrighty then, did not know Cathay Dragon/Qatar Airways had a code sharing agreement!

While you get 5th Freedom Flights for real, I think that ACEO also has 6th Freedom Flights, lol.

Yeah at some point we have to imagine the world and the alliances a bit different. I have at my airport a EK machine flying from GVA to JFK next to a machine of AA flying GVA to DXB. :rofl: I do imagine my airport now as very popular stopover hub.

Indeed, while I do get the odd Emirates flight to DXB, Qatar NEVER goes directly to DOH, so I just pretend that whatever the end destination is, they will stopover in DOH.

See the image below, these two stands where arriving pax are supposed to go up the elevator and eventually get to passport control, security exit and baggage claim. However, the pax arriving on Stand 1 sometimes exit where departing pax board, and go up the escalator at Stand 2. Note this not all arriving pax from Stand 1 use Stand 2’s escalator, just some of them. Can supply a SS of the upper floor if required.

(follow the badly drawn black lines to get an idea of the arriving pax’s path)

I had several attempts as well to get them walk correct. Yeah please show the upper level, may there is the reason for this.

I have changed the upper level with no luck, even put a partial wall in front of the exit on Stand 1 to make them go up the escalator, but the pax are stubborn. Will take a screenshot when I am on ACEO again later, and post here.

Not sure if this was a mistake, but your passenger seating at gate 1 makes passengers go through the window! :sweat_smile: And this is for the person who talked about the “5 freedoms:” The Five Freedoms of Aviation - YouTube

Lol, yes, I didn’t think anyone would sit there, but these pax have their own ideas… especially when they dawdle in front the boarding desk, as I say NO to the delay, and their flight pushes back leaving them behind. Do people do this irl? Lol either way.

Alrighty, I did not know that there were ‘9 Freedoms’, so one learns!

See Upper Level below, no matter what I do with even identical to Stand 2 on the right, some pax arriving at Stand 1 still use Stand 2’s exit/entrance:

As long as we don’t have a real option for one-way doors it is very tricky to force passengers to take a specific path.
I reached that because all exits have the exact same exit way, no corner is different. But even then, some stands prefer the escalator and others the elevator.
Also there is no toilet on the gate level, so that there is no reason for arriving passengers to stay on the jet bridge floor.

Yeah, one-way doors would be great, but as has been said, would create pathing issues. I can see that happening, as often have waiting pax wandering through the departure door, so would get stuck there if it was one-way.

I’ve been thinking about designs post A36 when cancelled fights are going to mean that people in departures will need to be able to exit and not go through arrivals

If a flight gets cancelled and you are in the departure area, you have to go the the transfer desk which is usually somewhere within the gate area. Or you have to get out and go back to the ckeck in if no transfer desk is provided. In that event, you leave the normal way by passport control etc.

The only difference way of leaving the airport is in an emergency.

I have similar issues with A35, pax gets through security but has not gone through passport control yet, and miss their flight. I had a staff exit between the two, so just removed the staff zone so that pax could use it as well.

Am currently in Montserrat helping with their airport rebuild (Plymouth International Airport)

Once I am done there, will revisit my PEN design.