Person Data File size

Altered map, 1300 x 1300 blah blah…

Maybe 1000 employees…I don’t even think it is that large… ~30 flights per day… what happened to this file? It’s NEVER been that large… I can package a bug report if anyone deems the problem worthy given the map editing, but this makes absolutely no sense.

Figured out what it was, then it crashed to desktop… the stops. All of them in use were not behaving appropriately. I was set to grab a screen shot of the side and it crashed, after like 40 minutes of loading… Was going to post a pre and post closing of the stops, but couldn’t. Not sure if I have another 40 minute load time in my this late. If not, I’ll probably post it tomorrow.

I ponder having anything other than a subway terminal entrance without cars/cabs/buses. At least that cuts down on the number of calls for tasks of cars/buses/cabs.

Opened it, closed all the stops, let things catch up with people leaving and trying to leave now…

The file before crash only had 3000 pax and was 15mb… and ~690emp

This save file reports ~650 pax 690 emp

I don’t bother playing the small maps, but if anyone on a small map is able to confirm this problem. I noticed a lot of bug reports on the forums and the bugs corrected in this version that were related to the various stops not triggering appropriate whatevers.

I don’t know about the non-modified maps, but I’d say the game’s current pax bugs aren’t fixed. 15mb for 3k pax will be game breaking with 30k or 65k. Hope it helps. Please lemme know if you want a bug report. I pretty much stopped that after the responses recently.

As I wrote elsewhere, size hacked maps behave can behave strangely and this is an example of that. How many passengers were you having at the airport at that time?

Just as a heads up, we will never be able to support 30k or 65k simulated in an airport, at a reasonable FPS.

1 Like

@Olof is that 30k or 60k passengers in total during th day or at any one time?

Well, specifically speaking it would be at any one time, i.e. simultaneously simulating handling 30k to 65k agents. If you have about 5000 pax on your airport at all times of the day, and at least 1.25k of those would leave the airport every hour, you could probably reach 30k during one day. Not sure how feasible that is though.

To concurrently simulate 30k, to 65k, to above 100k pax, at 30 to 60 FPS you need to utilize a completely different architecture (data oriented) than what ACEO is currently running on (object oriented) and there is no way of implementing this into the base of ACEO without re-writing the entire thing, essentially starting over the whole project. That is not something we’re going to do since it’ll bankrupt us, but you can rest assure that any future game would.

2 Likes

Oh I doubt I’d every get to build an airport with that many passengers at once, I was just curious.

I get severe lag with about 1,500 to 2,000 PAX in my airport at any one time so around 8k to 10k a day however I think this is linked to when I change the ‘corridors’ and zoning which means that for a flight or a number of flights all the PAX have to change how they get to where they want to go. Which makes the game re-calculate a path for all those PAX at once hence the lag.

Well, specifically speaking it would be at any one time, i.e. simultaneously simulating handling 30k to 65k agents. If you have about 5000 pax on your airport at all times of the day, and at least 1.25k of those would leave the airport every hour, you could probably reach 30k during one day. Not sure how feasible that is though.

To concurrently simulate 30k, to 65k, to above 100k pax, at 30 to 60 FPS you need to utilize a completely different architecture (data oriented) than what ACEO is currently running on (object oriented) and there is no way of implementing this into the base of ACEO without re-writing the entire thing, essentially starting over the whole project. That is not something we’re going to do since it’ll bankrupt us, but you can rest assure that any future game would

Best answer I have read about the limitations of the game. I was seriously wondering about the data architecture choices. Now I understand completely. Thank you. This response will change how/why I play the game. I had always played the game with the intention of building the monstrosity of the airports. I genuinely wanted to build the full Denver International Airport. I now realize this to be impossible.

Curiously, @Olof what do you see as the objective of playing this game? When you guys sat down to build this game, what did you see as the way people would enjoy it? Is it the process? Is it the progression? Is it the something similar to a daily management of the airport? You repeatedly refer to this game as a Tycoon game, not a Simulation game. I never enter the sandbox mode of a Tycoon game. Never. Yet, here I find that I make a near sandbox mode by editing the save file for money, and since I’m here, I might as well make the map larger. Perhaps it’s the process of building the models of the various airport systems and then testing/refining them? If you’ve already published this somewhere, can you point me in the right direction? I love this game, I’ve given it ~800 hours of my life in 3 years, but I have recently started to ponder if I’m playing the game the way it s designed to be played. I look forward to the transition to the data oriented model in the future. Until then, gotta keep paying the rent.

PS, I’ve only given you guys $15 bucks for this game. I’ve paid more money for starships on Star Trek Online, numerous times. it may be time to figure out how to monetize this in a more than single game purchase way. I’d pay money now to help you, but how do I do this in your current model?

Thank you @Olof and @Alexander for everything you guys have built, and to the others who have contributed as well.

2 Likes

At one point, I actually watched 65k pax blow through an airport. recently actually. The systems that seem to crash the performance, are the catering and cleaning. I can build 100 stand airport on 1000x1000 map, baggage turned off, no other systems installed and it screams. Maybe I’ll do this to show you it’s possible. Your model isn’t necessarily unsustainable. I tend to see the Beta testing as excuse to break the game in ways the small development team had not considered.

@Olof

The joy of expansion in an aviation based setting, I guess. It’s hard to put your finger on, ACEO is so much more now than when we started the project without any experience whatsoever in game design five years ago. It is indeed a tycoon game but perhaps more of an interactive system that you can play around with, almost like a very complex toy. Of course, the toy has a wide range of technical limitations on it which means that the experiences you’ll have will also be limited. The majority that play ACEO either play one to two hours, or several hundred hours plus so it is indeed something that you either hate or like.

No, no, we’re perfectly fine with the good 'ol traditional game business model of paying for something once and then having unlimited access to it. In the industry we’ll definitely be seeing less and less of this so it’s something for us all to enjoy, lol.

If you want to back the studio further you can either give the game to a friend or check out the ACEO merch shop where we get a small royalty commission with each product sold, and you get a shiny mug or something else! :smiley:

Thank you for playing! This game is what it is because of contributors like you. :heart:

5 Likes