Present thoughts on Game

I’ve been playing this game off and on for some time now since it’s earlier (not the earliest by any means) stages. I profoundly believe the game is going in the wrong direction. Here’s what I notice. Myself alone.

It may be steam running in the background, but laggy stuttering gameplay is more frequent now than it was in the past.

There are some logical oversights in the game that just resemble poor implementation. e.g. the font in many tabs is simply too small to be readable; the terms “cash flow” and “profit” in the budget tab really are redundant. If you have a positive daily cash flow, you don’t need a profit line. that is your profit. or vice verse. But these are more nuisance the bugs however are even more atrocious than I remember them being.

Either the flights aren’t labeled appropriately or something has really gone haywire in the flight planner. I end up starting with daily flights that turn into once flights that then show up on consecutive days and leave holes in my schedule. Flights should clearly delineate their frequency and number of days, if they’re once, they only arrive at the airport for that day.

The budget box leaves me highly suspicious that it’s actually tabulating things correctly. I watched as the screen updated and clicked over to a new day at approx -12,000 cash flow for the day. I started near -20,000. looking at my account exactly at the flip of the day I was approx -40,000. no loans. I also noticed it changing before numbers even appeared in the new day tabulation and they were even more inaccurate.
Animals are roaming my airport grounds even though the entire perimeter is fenced.

Now, I have enjoyed the game up until recent past. It leaves me wondering what’s really going on? This game has been in early release for quite some time. Perhaps the lack of revenue has left motivation to finish it and improve on it low? Frankly, I didn’t mind the road simply leading off the map for now as opposed to this new “world tunnel.” seems like that could’ve been left for post-beta. As now should be the time to polish features, improve performance, solve as many bugs as possible (w/o introducing new ones) A quicker and cleaner exit from beta opens the door to more potential revenue-generating content form those that have already purchased the game some time ago during the early development.

I’ve reported many of the bugs, not all – I see it as ultimately the developer’s responsibility (primarily) to play and test their product. Consumers shouldn’t be the primary. Obviously, that’s my take, and since other’s see it differently I’m not opposed to simply forgetting about the game and moving on. I hope that doesn’t come to pass, it’s a fun game. My thoughts obviously. Whatever they’re worth.

Thank you for your comments. I’m sad to hear you think the game is going in the wrong direction and I can’t really comment on your opinions as everyone of course is entitled to their own, I just wanted to make it very clear that we regularly do test and play-test the game as that, apart from fixing externally and internally reported bugs, is everything we do in this final beta stage. Airport CEO will never be a perfect game and it’ll definitely have it’s flaws, especially pertaining to quirky game design, however the completion of it has nothing to do with the current revenue stream, the game will be completed as to our vision and with an all review Steam score of 83% (at the time of writing this) positive across 3745 votes it seems as if most people think we’re doing an OK job. I do understand that it’s difficult to peek into the development process from the outside but from our perspective we have the ability to survey the full picture and apart from larger maps, being able to move and add additional entrance tunnels was one of the most requested features which is why it was added.

I hope my response at least shed some light on our perspective of the development! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Easy fix here, turn up the UI scale. Its in the graphics options.

Not really. Profit is the profit coming directly out of your airport. Cash Flow is your overall cash flow after your profit has been calculated and has had outside expenses and income applied. IIRC from my business classes in high school Cash Flow should really be Net Profit, but thats kinda getting into semantics.

Youre just not understanding how the flights function in the game. The flights at this point arent typical repeating flights like you would find from a typical commercial carrier. Theyre a temporary contract to accept a flight to your airport at a certain time for a certain amount of days after the time you schedule the first one in its series. And the number of days it will be scheduled for including the first day it is scheduled for is clearly shown in the top left corner of the icon for that flight in your flight planner and in the list of available flights before you drag it onto the schedule.

Daily scheduled flights is a thing that is planned to be added as part of the ongoing contracts rework iirc though.

I cant really tell what youre trying to explain, but i know that its calculating everything correctly at least in my saves at least in the current build. I tend to go through every once in a while and manually double check that everything is being calculated correct since iirc there was a bug that it wasnt a few months ago.
But, if youre confused on why it starts out showing negative everyday or every hour. Thats because the profit calculation starts with the expenses and adds your income to the negative number of your expenses as your income is made.

This is a bug that was fixed yesterday in the beta branch iirc the beta build changes and fixes will be getting pushed to the normal branch in a couple days.

I didnt really mind the single entrance and exit either, but you cant argue that it is a massive improvement to the game, even if it is a bit buggy at the moment. It adds so much flexibility to airport design that we didnt have before and allows for a much higher throughput of vehicles which at least for me has kept huge numbers of passengers from piling up at bus stops and such. And in the end, at least in my opinion the single world entrance has always felt like a stop-gap that wasnt intended to be in the final release.

The consumers arent the primary though, and as Olof replied Apoapsis does do quite a bit of internal play testing. It is very clear that this is true or else AirportCEO would have been available to download and play from the very start and we wouldnt have had to wait multiple years to get any sort of build to try.

It is your take, and you have your right to your own opinions.
But, my take on your complaints is that they are mostly unfounded and nit-picky. Most of what you listed as issues is from not looking into what is going on in the game (an example of this would be the animals phasing through objects. All it took to see that this was a bug that is already fixed on the experimental branch which is in the final stages to be pushed to the default branch was a quick search on the forums, or to just scroll up a few dev posts in the current experimental branch thread.), not even bothering to look if theres an option available to change (UI scaling to make fonts larger), or just not knowing how a gameplay element works (how flights function) which could be easily fixed by making a thread on the forums looking to get information on it or looking for an existing thread about said gameplay element.

I hope my replies help sort out some of your issues with the game.

1 Like

My intent isnt to be unkind or mean. But it does irk me a little when someone comes along and makes a big post about how the game is bad and is going in the wrong direction when it is mostly just them not understanding how the game works, or being nit-picky about little things that have no real constructive critisism (the whole cash flow and profit thing). Especially when they make a post on the forums saying these things where they could have found the answers or explanations to their problems just as fast as writing the post.

3 Likes

I definitely do not think there’s any hostility in Isenderen’s comments, they are laid out and well presented just like MedJet’s are. All I see here is some healthy discussion which is always welcome! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Forget my post was ever there :slightly_smiling_face:

But my remark that there may be more testing before deployment than you think is still true

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.