Ratios of Support Facilities

Don’t suppose anyone has taken the time to quantify the most effective number of the various support structures per stand? I ask in the middle of a massive airport on an altered map, but it also came up looking at a recent baggage system, but never explored the trash, catering, etc.

I have seen baggage bays support quite a bit larger number of stands than I had initially given credit for over the time playing this game. Example, I have seen one baggage bay support 4 large stands, and at least medium stands with barely an interruption or back-up of baggage trains.

Maybe I’ll test out the baggage bays on large stands and build a test airport. I don’t know how I would go about testing out the support faciilty ratios, maybe build the template, and copy/rename the save files after the template is in place.

Anyone built test template designs like this and want to share their methods?

So far I’ve never had big issues with those structures. It’s more about their location and the number of vehicles (cleaning trucks and catering trucks) to provide, so that all planes at the airport can be served on time. Otherwise planes have to wait until a truck has finished it’s job somewhere else.

For a large airport (50 gates, large map size) I run well with 3 catering and 2 recycling depots.

Also everything depends on the schedule. If there is a big difference in the arrival times, the trucks have a better availability then when all planes arrive at the same time.

For baggage bays the same. You can run more stands on one bay if the planes do arrive with bigger time gaps.
4 to 5 L or M stands on a baggage bay are also my typical setup.

Airport design always seems to wiggle its way into the conversation. One thing for sure, poorly designed flows will kill you every time and make everything slower. Your numbers seem fairly consistent with mine. I ponder the density of the schedule of 350 max flights over however many stands. Certainly, the trucks need down time. It’d be nice if they would top off/drop off after the job was done. I find too many vehicles without the needed supplies for jobs sitting idle waiting to start a job…

Currently I’m waiting until the pathblocking is solved before I go to a new large airport. So far I’ve only played with the 200 flight limit. … looks like it’s part of Beta 2 according to Trello.

I play on the experimental, which is also proably part of the problems some times, but I digress. What is this path blocking thing you speak?

That airlines block the whole taxiway and others cannot cross an intersection or get pushed back until the one plane and maybe others went through.

In my case I play with realistic taxiway with so that planes don’t touch eachothers. I can’t provide 3 taxiways or more directly next to eachother. (Except I use 33 tiles)

1 Like

That airlines block the whole taxiway and others cannot cross an intersection or get pushed back until the one plane and maybe others went through.

Yep. Actually, I think this is what actually messed up my ginormous map… and it’s a Beta 2. I couldn’t find an animal anywhere, and had police cars everywhere. Totally locked it up. Used the reset aircraft nodes button… failed… it was really discouraging last night. I vented a bit about it on the off-topic forum because the error message was all about the animals and build more fences.

In my case I play with realistic taxiway with so that planes don’t touch eachothers. I can’t provide 3 taxiways or more directly next to eachother. (Except I use 33 tiles)

I find I’d rather do real terminals than real taxiways/runways, but I usually end up with troubles with taxiing… My larger problem isn’t either of those courses, the problem is that this game consumes my brain equally, whether I’m designing airplane ground traffic or passenger stuff.