Running your own Airline

Hey guys, I love the concept of this game, keep up the good work. I had an inspired idea that I got from playing airline-empires online. Wouldn’t it be great if you could set up your own airline as well as building your own airport.

This would open up the game a lot especially to customisation. You can give your airline its own name like ‘Qantas Airlines’, set up a livery, give it a two letter identity, a phrase for marketing and press release statement. Then run it against the competition. You will then have to buy your planes from the market, either buying them outright or leasing them for a time period (this will incur high charges). You can then customise the planes cabin arrangement, seats and in-flight services (food/entertainment). Manage your own catering service, maintenance and staffing for the fleet including your own fuel service. Set up your own gates and check-ins as well as extending and building your own terminal or hub (for transfers - increasing for more revenue). You could also add your own private lounges, restaurants and shops to promote your own services. As well as set up routes to where each of your planes will fly too, you could build short haul flights and long haul flights going by popularity from the competition so is why marketing and branding becomes important. Also you would have to consider the maintenance of your planes like a-checks, c-checks and lifespan.

This obviously in the short run would be costly to set up as you would need to invest in the infrastructure as you grow your airport, but the rewards of establishing a large airline will add massively to the revenue of the airport. But it could also cripple your airport if you don’t manage it properly. You might find your airport falls into the red because the airline hasn’t started to make operating profit yet after the initial investment, but some quick thinking on your part like building an extra terminal and runway just kept you out of trouble as you took on new contracts etc from other airlines.

For the GUI, a separate icon could be added that is grayed out until you start an airline. This could open into a book with tabs down the side - this would then summaries your airline with details of the company and asset worth, show an itinerary of all your planes in service, the marketing, staffing for your airline, the services, maintenance where pricing etc can be changed and the financial window which just details the costs and operating profits of the airline only. But the main financial window will summaries the costs of the airline with the airport…

Lots to think about here and this could be a lot of work to implement, but it would greatly add to the games potential - maybe implement parts of it.

2 Likes

I be leave that it could be a awesome add on DLC like somthing called Airline’s DLC that could be like 5.99 or a price around that range.

I’m not too sure this would work very well as you could turn your airport into your own with no other airlines being able to fly into your airport because you control the airport as well. I think with some tuning it could work.

I don’t think that this would be a priority though as it is kind of making a game in a game. Maybe we will see a DLC with this added

They’re making 1 game already. I don’t think a second game within would benefit it. Because it IS a new game. Running an airline has completely different mechanics.

4 Likes

I agree with the two previous posters. You’ve just proposed a completely new game. And not a unique game - there are lots of brilliant airline management sims out there that you really should check out if you haven’t already.

This is a game about a different part of the system - the airport. Airports and airlines are separate entities and only rarely does inert involved in the other (Humberside Airport is the only example I know of where an airline owns an airport). In the busier airports where there is competition for slots, it’d actually be a conflict of interest to run both businesses.

I think airline management is best left aside, but maybe once this game is done the developers may want to create a complementary airline management aim if they feel that they could add to the genre. Trouble is that it’s a crowded marketplace.

2 Likes

Yeah, lots of good points here, I can see that it could take the emphasis away from building the airport, cause conflict as you could be spending more time running the airline and do away with all the competitors.

I don’t think this is a good idea. It’d be difficult to run an airport AND airline ontop of each other- it would be stressful and unmanageable. This defeats the games purpose; constructing and managing an airport, not micro-managing an airline ontop.

Sorry man. We can’t do both. It would also be quite unfocused and perhaps a bit confusing. However, we would like to add mod support so that you can design your own airline (logo, livery, fleet, class etc) and then handle it in the game. But that is the furthest we will go. :airplane:

3 Likes

I certainly agree with Fredrik.

1 Like

I have bean thinking about this too for years I have bean thinking how cool it would be to build a game that goes from airport to airline. And how you can reach new destination to fly to with your own plains.
You start with just being able to let other companies use your airport and then you can buy small planes and schedule flights and then find other airports where the demand is high and open new destinations.

Maybe it’s high demand in A to go to C. And with your airport B you can offer good connections from B to C so then you open a good connection flight from A to B and have layovers make tons of money on the airport hotel and then let an other company send the travelers to C.
I think there is a lot of potential.

So a simple add on section where you buy aircraft and see the aircraft you have to set routes for them. I don’t know how the demand would really work

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.