Schengen Zone

So far the solution is still not perfect as long as non Schengen located airlines now offer Fifth Freedom flights within the Schengen area.
We need more modding possibilities for airlines and flight routes.

I got it finally to work :smiley: !
I mistakenly did not change the ‘continentname’ from Europe to EU. Now it works perfectly and it is such a great feature!
Thanks very much!

Great work! Very creative sollution.

Hope the Dev-Team will ‘hijack’ it to implement it in the base-game one day!

Hope the Dev-Team will ‘hijack’ it to implement it in the base-game one day!

This will bring many more problems than benefits. However if developers create a proper path for modders… then no one can stop us :smiling_imp:

• There are countries with no passport control required in travel between each other (Like Shengen)
  • There are countries that ban each other (Like self enclosed countries)
  • There are countries that act like a state of main country in far far lands (like being old time colonies but now an independent new country)
1 Like

wow, great idea!

And to include the “country” like you said add to the region… instead of just the city/region name

“London”

instead put:

“London, United Kingdom”

and for the Country Put EU/European Union

I was thinking of adding states to my airportData…

ie.

Country code: US (United States)

Region:
Instead of “Los Angeles”
put “Los Angeles, California”

not sure if there would be any issues with this but just an idea… so its in the flight details menus

1 Like

Oooh, bad example. UK is not in the Schengen Zone…

4 Likes

Nice Job! i got it!

Well noted :slight_smile: generally arrivals are grouped by EEA European Economic Area, a mostly similar group by a few exceptions, and then those non EEA arrivals. Often however they will just simply be two different immigration channels in the same area

1 Like

Maybe we can have the CTA Common Travel Area arrangement included? Effectively UK And Ireland (Republic) are one domestic travel area, though in reality there can be some customs checks for Irish and Channel Island arrivals but generally they are processed as domestic.

If Schengen zone is going to be added all other countries with “ravel restrictions” or “travel options without passports” should be added as well.

1 Like

No, they’re not one domestic travel area. From what I read (and anedoctal experience from friends who have been), it’s still an international zone. Those travelling from UK to Ireland would still need to get their documents checked, though some nationalities can just walk through without needing any visas. A friend of mine got turned back flying from the UK to Ireland because they didn’t have the visa.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html
Entry requirements - Ireland travel advice - GOV.UK.

Not trying to argue here, just simply clarifying that my point was more about the common area between UK and Ireland and that it could simply be helpful for more variety of domestic flights.

Officially, passports are not required at either port of entry for either nation. As is the case for the land border between UK and Ireland, you don’t need ID between Northern Ireland and Mainland UK unless checking in hold baggage for reconciliation of the baggage. You’ve passed security, that’s good enough for the airlines to welcome you onboard :wink:

Dublin however is unique, mindful of their popular transit facilities to connect from UK to long haul flights (good old Aer Lingus!). Currently, DUB processes flights from the UK via their EU arrivals channel. It’s a common discussion in the industry why this is the case, but generally a lot of it can be down to capacity in the airport and the need to check ID, it’s just easier to route the passengers via immigration desks :slight_smile: But of course, the government in Ireland will have the final say and Brexit complicates this further.

Hope this helps clarify a bit - would be good to see the CTA in Airport CEO, to give extra variety of domestic flights in our UK and Ireland airports.

Channel Islands are more complicated, they have to pass “International Customs Checkpoint” (Nothing to declare and all that fun and games), but not immigration. But let’s not get into that. All we need to know is Jersey has a great Duty Free shop.

I think Schengen “simulation” would be cool in the game. Remember everyone, the zone is an immigration zone which is an agreement between counties, to treat each others flights as effectively as internal and not crossing a physical border.

However, let’s not overlook that the use of Schengen Zone facilities in airports varies drastically, many simply do not facilitate the zone, but of course abide by it in principal. Instead, they will route zone flights via international channels. Bigger the airport, the most justification for separating them.

Forgive me for promoting Wikipedia here, but it is the clearest guide to the two primary zones that impact the configuration of European Airports.

• Immigration Checkpoints are relevant to the Schengen Zone, if you’re travelling with in the zone, you don’t need them.
  • Customs Checkpoints are relevant to the Customs Union, same logic applies.

The UK as an example (ignoring Brexit briefly), is in the customs union currently, but not the Schengen Zone. The Spanish Governed Canary Islands, therefore an EU member, they’re in the Schengen Zone, but not in the customs union.

I’ve had the joy of studying this in the past, still traumatised by it :wink:

Again, just from what you posted me, CTA is just an arrangement for UK and Irish nationals. However, the passport control still exists for third-party nationals (e.g. South African nationals, Chilean nationals, etc.), hench treating the flights between these UK and Ireland as domestic flight (in-game) still doesn’t make sense. This is not even the same category with Schengen where there is supposedly no passport control at all between Schengen members, which does effectively mean it is a single domestic area (in in-game terms).

Afraid that is not correct.

You are maybe misunderstanding the principal of travel/visa zones. It is the port of entry into the zone, from the outside, that is responsible for immigration checks into the zone. Once in the zone, you move freely.

Knowing this procedure is key to my career, it is a complicated issue and a headache but trust me I do know the enforcement of visa/travel zones in the aviation industry quite well.

Neither UK or Ireland are within Schengen, absolutely correct, and that is why they are able to operate a CTA. However, the CTA is effectively a Visa zone, but the Irish and British don’t need a visa, just their proof of nationality, anyone not of such nationality, needs a visa, checked at the port of entry into the CTA.

Key element of any visa travel zone - Passengers are processed for immigration checks upon entry of agreed zone, once in the zone, they move freely regardless of their nationality.

The core of any such agreement is, bilateral agreements between countries to operate consistent visa/immigration policies so that each country can respect the policies of another within the zone, effectively controlling immigration on each others behalf within a travel/visa zone.

Ireland is unique, Dublin airport is unqiue. As I explained in previous post detailed in official government advice, The Irish authorities opt to check photographic ID (Not a visa, a photo ID) and therefore make use of existing infrastructure at the airport, their EU immigration channels. It is unique given the scale of the USA Pre-Clearance facility in Dublin and other Irish airports, it is incredibly complex and effectively means non-USA nationals can cross the border into USA, in immigration terms, before leaving the Irish airport, and then enter the USA via domestic channels. Whilst unique, this is a helpful example of how a country will allow another, to process their foreign visitors in advance. Visa/Travel zones are effectively that agreement, but on a bigger, two way scale.

(I’m not for one moment suggesting we simulate pre-clearance - it’s just an example of another such arrangement)

Hope this helps.

I should clarify also, you are absolutely right that if you are for example as you say South African national, travelling to UK via Ireland, you will be checked in Ireland upon entering the CTA. Likewise if you travel from South Africa to Ireland via the UK, you’ll be checked in the UK, upon entering the CTA. The person doesn’t qualify for CTA rights, but that is simply how the CTA works in practice.

Each country then decides do they wish to check again any ID or immigration matters again at their own border, the UK only goes so far as a police/authorities presence in domestic arrivals, whilst the Irish will check photo ID. That final element is what differs the CTA from Schengen, as you correctly point towards :slight_smile:

UK Authorities have faith in their Irish counterparts to respect their immigration policies, and vice versa. Therefore both nations will also informally ensure their entry requirements for each nation aren’t a million miles away from each other, that consistency, though informal, allows a travel/visa area to exist.

That’s where it gets complicated :slight_smile: It’s why the CTA is such a hot topic politically, particularly with Brexit situation - as there won’t be the same consistency due to all manner of reasons.

Dublin is not unique. Most major airports in Canada have US pre-clearance facility. Immigration and customs checks are done at the Canadian airport, then travel as domestic travellers to the US airports.

Unique in the mentioned region. Unique outside of Schengen whilst inside of EU. Sorry if that was not clear - I thought it was quite clear in the context of the post.

@RubenGass made a sensible interesting suggestion, I mentioned to UK/Ireland travel area, whilst supporting his idea.

I am going to disregard any further replies on this thread. My posts were to simply support the idea and provide information on the subject, sharing my professional experience of the subject.

Appears on this occasion, factual and friendly replies are not being welcomed.