Staff and board use

Hey guys,
I have an idea for how the game could be using more staff and what the directors would add to the mix.

If we look at procurement, we have a procurement director, but at the moment he does nothing more than enable the palyer to buy things.

My proposal is as follows:
The player needs to hire procurement employees (PE). Each PE can buy i.e. 1 item per day. If the player wants to buy 10 fuel trucks, he either needs to wait 10 days before he has the 10th, or has hires 10 PEs (or something in between).

The skill of a PE might i.e. decrease the time needed before he can buy something else, while the procurement director can use his skill to ‘enhance’ the skill of his PEs, and / or put a cap on how much a player can buy in 1 transaction / day.

The micro oriented players can select specific candidates to scrape every little bit of advantage, while the player who doesn’t care only needs to make sure that he hires some PEs and gives them a desk.

This ties in to the HR director. You need to hire HR employees (HRE), because 1 HRE can support up to 20 employees, so need more employees? Hire an HRE to be able to. And give him a desk of course.
The HR director skill could i.e. influence salary demands, while a HRE skill could influence happiness.

The director in charge of maintenance and repairs could handle (as he does now in a rudimentary way) repairs for you. Set the percentage you want stuff to stay above, give him a budget and he will work his magic. The more maintenance employees (ME) you have, i.e. the more facilities (in $ value) you can maintain, while the director skill might influence the speed at which repairs are requested or reduce the cost of said repairs.

All directors also tie into certain technology you can buy / build, like the IT director for wifi, while needing more IT employees for keeping your systems up and running. Under staff or under budget this department, and you will see delays because of computer failures.

To take this a step further, a player can hire Department heads. I.e. a head ramp agent might give the player insight in the exact number of ramp agents needed, and adds his skill as a bonus to the ramp agents.

Firing will of course have an effect. Why? Well, it would prevent the player from hiring 10 procurement employees, procure 10 fuel trucks, and fire the 10 employees again.
Firing too many people, or too often, and you will see less applicants and / or with worse skills. (Would you want to work for a company that has a reputation of firing its employees?)

Each director could take over some player tasks in a (semi) automated way.
As said before, the director in charge of repair can keep things above a certain percentage, while the HR director might be tasked with hiring a number of staff of a specific type (HR, Ramp agent, etc.), within certain limits. So hire 10 ramp agents with a skill between 2 and 4. This would take away the tedium later on for the player when you really start to get many employees.

Each director could also act as advisor to the player, signalling certain (potential) problems, like a budget that is too low, too few employees, missing infrastructure, etc.

All this so your airport gets its fair share of office workers, that actually do something for you.

These employees all (or at least most) leave for the evening of course, so you can do only so much at night. Want to buy stuff? Better take care of it during the day

What do you guys think? Can you think of more employee types? And what would they add to the mix?
I do feel we need at least multi level implemented for this, since (as in real life) you will need a lot of office space.

9 Likes

Interesting idea(s). I like the ideas, but I’m not sure if it would add too much micromanagement to have to higher IT or Pocurnent people. Maybe if it was set a number of active employees to have and the HR department/director deal with highring.

sounds like the game would be taken down a road of complex management simulation and a bit away from an airport sim. I’m getting more enjoyment from the planning and building to get revenue to expand than i am from micromanaging staff.

Awesome ideas! I think it would work well

In my mind it gives both types of players a chance. By having your directors more or less automate tasks you find dull.
having prefabs for i.e. office space makes it easy to build offices. Having the HR manager take care of the hiring so the player can just work on the air side of things.

1 Like

My proposal is as follows:
The player needs to hire procurement employees (PE). Each PE can buy i.e. 1 item per day. If the player wants to buy 10 fuel trucks, he either needs to wait 10 days before he has the 10th, or has hires 10 PEs (or something in between).

The skill of a PE might i.e. decrease the time needed before he can buy something else, while the procurement director can use his skill to ‘enhance’ the skill of his PEs, and / or put a cap on how much a player can buy in 1 transaction / day.

The micro oriented players can select specific candidates to scrape every little bit of advantage, while the player who doesn’t care only needs to make sure that he hires some PEs and gives them a desk.

I kinda agree on the maximum transaction/day part, but the problem is that as of now, procurement does nothing except “researching” stuffs to unlock. I’d prefer if we separate the current procurement system into two part, which is the procurement itself that handles purchasing and contract management with suppliers, and spun off the “research” side of the procurement to, say, the legal department and/or CTO/CIO.

Now that procurement only handles the purchasing and contract management, we can decide the benefits of hiring PEs. Aside from the transaction/day, a functioning Proc. Department should reduce the procurement costs (either base costs as in 1 AVGAS = $10 → $8, or cumulative costs as in 1 AVGAS = $10, 8 AVGAS → $70; this also includes reduction in item buildings like construction material, sofas, etc.) and grant better contract terms (reduced penalty, longer terms, reduced costs for fuel suppliers and contractors).

This ties in to the HR director. You need to hire HR employees (HRE), because 1 HRE can support up to 20 employees, so need more employees? Hire an HRE to be able to. And give him a desk of course.
The HR director skill could i.e. influence salary demands, while a HRE skill could influence happiness.

I disagree. Since board members and CEO are counted as staffs, then CEO can’t expand without first hiring HR Dir., which doesn’t make sense. It also doesn’t make sense that you can’t automatically expand your workforce because you don’t have enough HR employees.

Therefore, I suggest that there should be no limitation on the amount of workforce you can hire without HRE. However, having an effective HR system would allow reduction in stress rate/increase in stress capacity (which in turn could lead to desertion and voluntary turnover) and improvement in the margin of learning. So what constitutes an effective HR system? To simplify, you need an adequate amount of, let’s say, HR Capacity. CEO starts with 15 HR capacity, and the HR Dir. comes with a startling 30 HR capacity. HRE can manage an additional 10 capacity/employees. If the number of employees is under the HR capacity, then you can see an improvement, which could depend on a formula mixing the skill of HR Dir. and the average skill of your HRE.

HR. Dir should also have the capacity to automate hiring and firing. If there is such a thing as promotion, an effective HR system should also highlight people with potential who could be upgraded to a new level, or brought into management (maybe when one of the director retires). This could also tie in with the shift-based system I will explain in the bottom.

The director in charge of maintenance and repairs could handle (as he does now in a rudimentary way) repairs for you. Set the percentage you want stuff to stay above, give him a budget and he will work his magic. The more maintenance employees (ME) you have, i.e. the more facilities (in $ value) you can maintain, while the director skill might influence the speed at which repairs are requested or reduce the cost of said repairs.

I kinda disagree, since the way value works in-game is a bit … simplified. Usually, when we talk about maintenance and repairs, its based on the condition, not the value, since value is more related to the accounting terms, and it usually diminishes over time. I think the current system that the COO have is already fine though, it really helps reduce the manual clicking that you need.

That being said, having an automatic flight planner would be neat. I kinda miss that feature from the game TV Giant, where you can ask the game to automatically schedule the TV shows and/movies in the show planner.

To take this a step further, a player can hire Department heads. I.e. a head ramp agent might give the player insight in the exact number of ramp agents needed, and adds his skill as a bonus to the ramp agents.

I think this is a good idea, and I think this can tie in with HR Dir./Strategy Dir. as part of research. They would judge how to organize a new department under them.

Firing will of course have an effect. Why? Well, it would prevent the player from hiring 10 procurement employees, procure 10 fuel trucks, and fire the 10 employees again.
Firing too many people, or too often, and you will see less applicants and / or with worse skills. (Would you want to work for a company that has a reputation of firing its employees?)

Another penalty you could add to firing is paying severance package. So something like 3 days’ worth of salary? There should be an option to mitigate or reduce the impact of firing too much people to the point of reverting back to normal. For example, maybe the HR Dir. could host internships, attend job fairs, to increase the amount of applicants in a short period of time? (This could also be looked at, that currently people tend to send you their CVs when you don’t ask for them).

Each director could also act as advisor to the player, signalling certain (potential) problems, like a budget that is too low, too few employees, missing infrastructure, etc.

I agree that this should be a thing. That being said, I don’t know if it is a good idea to hide problem indicators unless you hire a certain person. I’m still on the fence about this one. I think it’s better that they advice on more underlying issues, like too few employees (calculated automatically based on demand).

I actually disagree. As Fredrik/Olof once mentioned the possibility of opening up night flights, it doesn’t make sense if the airport doesn’t have any staffs at night. Even without having night flights, what about security patrol? Surely you want your offices kept safe at night, or you hope no one is breaking into the cargo storage/plane hangar. What I suggest is a shift-based assignment system, similar to PA’s scheduling system for prisoners. Something like this, but to a maximum of 9 different shifts.

So in essence, it will looks simillar to the flight planner (and we shall call it … the SHIFT planner!)

===
Another suggestion I propose, since your idea consists of department budgeting, is hiring accountants under your CFO. This would allow you to mitigate the penalty and boosts the bonus of budgeting. It could also help in increasing deductible costs for your taxes, effectively finding ways/loopholes to reduce your taxes (which, sadly, is not implemented yet). However, I have not found a way to come up of a way to make them work in an effective system like in HRE or PE, whereby an effective system requires X people. Maybe it could be related with value?

On another note, I prefer removing Strategy Director completely, changing it into Marketing Director and allow under it, Marketing Department, PR Department, and Strategy. This will allow the airport, instead of just researching shops and cafes, to negotiate better terms with airlines and increase minimum airport rating (from 0.00% to a minimum score).

Another bag of worms one could open is outsourcing some jobs, like security and janitorial duties, which reduces HR burden (and make Proc. “contract management” ability more worth it). Things such as airport staff union could also make the HR aspect deeper.

That being said, I don’t think adding all this into the base game is a good idea. This might be better served as a mod, so as to keep the vanilla accessible, but allow more masochists to try the hard option.

2 Likes

Wow, lot of good ideas. Certainly food for thought.
The modding part i’m not so sure about, since that would require extensive knowledge of the inner workings to pull that off.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing mind you :slight_smile: But it does mean that the devs should have a rudimentary implementation we can hook into, with employee types, effects, etc.

When i was saying that people should go home in the evening i was mostly talking about office monkeys. They usually don’t work at night, or if they do, it’s a skeleton crew.

The rest of your airport that actually ‘does something’ is a different matter of course, you need them 24/7 :slight_smile:

It could be subdivided into two large aspects >> Operational Staff and Supporting Staff.

Yet, this could be confusing for some roles. For example, are PE under Supporting Staff or Operational Staff? What about janitors and service technicians? Some say that marketing is a main process/function, not a supporting role.

I think the Shift Planner™ could be utilized only for Operational Staffs. The Supporting Staffs would have the basic working hour, kinda like how the shift system works now, or like setting the tarmac lights on/off.

===
I forgot to add that in addition to the previous, the Mark. Director and ME could also increase the amount of contracts the airport can receive. This makes Marketing becoming a more natural filter for demand contracts (shops, cafes, airlines, etc.).

Also, on having departments, I don’t think we should be allowed to meddle whether ME should be in X department or Y department. Let the Dir. have independence.

1 Like

I agree. the amount of contracts you can have should be linked with the amount of office workers (general or of a specific type).

A marketing directoe could also be used for marketing campaigns (number of workers determine reach / effect) to attract airlines and / or passengers

I would be happy with just being able to designate myself and my fellow directors specific offices. So then I can build the administration building I keep dreaming about! Lol :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It’s possible, but tedious.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.