Stand overhaul

I would like to see an overhaul for aircraft stands.

Current medium and large stands are pretty much the same size as in reality (40m and 64m wide). However, planes in ACEO are about 30% smaller than in real life so we don’t need real sized stands for them, especially with limited map size. Plus current stand size doesn’t allow for a symmetric positioning of a taxiway. Also as requested before, stands shouldn’t come with service roads to allow for better and more efficient placement, especially for remote stands. Service buildings don’t come with roads, players have to connect them to a service road so that vehicles can enter and exit. I’m sure that stands can be made in the same way. Size should be 9x9 for medium and 15x15 for large stands without serivce roads. I do very much appreciate that the devs want to make all the new stuff save game compatible and this is not an issue. Bring in the new stands, leave the old ones for now and throw them out once the beta starts. People would have enough time to change their airports. Plus, let’s be honest, at this stage of development the most exciting thing is to build new airports from scratch.

Also I would like to see a new kind of medium stand that allows self-maneuvering of aircraft without requiring a push back. They basically work the same way as current small stands and are common in many airports around the world. Those would allow for further diversity and also for small 30-seat turboprop aircraft that don’t fit into small stands but don’t get a push back in real life.

Last but not least I would like to see two upgrade options for jetways. One should be the current “basic” jetway and there should also be a further jetway upgrade, with an entry only on floor 2 and an exit only on floor 1 as seen in many posts before. This would accomplish the much requested passenger seperation the smoothest and most realistic way.

I am very aware that I’m not proposing anything new here, I just want to bring it back to everyones attention with the things combined that I care about.

8 Likes

Why not have both kind of stands: the new like you proposed and the classic stand? I see it as a built-in template.

I wouldn’t mind having a stand slightly smaller than the current Medium stand that would serve RJs only. There are many airports that have gates sized to accommodate RJs and nothing larger.

You, me and many other advanced and familiar players certainly wouldn’t mind that. But as the devs point out from time to time, it is also very important not to overload the game to make it not too difficult for new players. I can see that there could be an issue for some when you have to choose between 7 or 8 different stands and never followed any of the discussions here. That’s why now is the perfect time to introduce overhauled stands to get rid of the old ones once the game goes into beta.

Been playing a lot more recently, and I totally agree that there should be more stand sizes available. In U.S. airports, gates and jetways are jammed in as tightly as possible, with hardly any space between the planes. The medium stands are currently a one-size-fits-all option for planes that are larger (B757 or A321) and also planes that are smaller (ERJs). Even if the larger planes land at medium gates, there is still so much space between the gates that, in reality, would be used to create space for additional jetways. I really wish they add more gate sizes.