Taxiway pathing widths

I don’t see how setting a minimum size for a taxiway forces me to make tradeoffs and balances, it just forces me to build a certain way regardless of if I want to build that way. A system where a wider taxiway decreases the wear on a taxiway, making it more durable and require less maintenance adds a balance, but that is a much larger feature. (although fun to have)

By definition that’s how tradeoffs/balance works. Pretend I only wanted to bother building one road network; I can’t do that, instead I have to maintain airside and public separately. This has added another level of gameplay because now I end up with a spidersweb of roads all over the place constrained by space. Game Design 101.

A system where a wider taxiway decreases the wear on a taxiway

I’m not sure that’s realistic. Most vehicles follow the same (centre) line. I believe it’s pavement thickness that correlates with maintenance requirements (and certainly affects what sorts of planes you can use it for in the first place).

That’s exactly why this should not be implemented on default settings. As there are now two settings to the gameplay, we should just implement this feature to the “pro” version of the game. people may not understand why, or what is appropriate, although an A380 does have some fat tires. Big tires larger than a Jeep Wrangler larger tires = good at off reading?

Ok EDIT: OFF ROADING! :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Does air count as off-road? :rofl:

Never knew A380’s could read, but who knows what the Developers are capable of! :wink:

1 Like

You know I love me’self some good autocorrect. :sweat_smile:

Interesting factoid, you can use a 23 meter taxiway (about 75 feet wide) for the A380. How that compares and is decided in game is the variable in this conversation… I PERSONALLY feel like 5 wide is actually okay for the A380, with extra area in the corners to accommodate.

I don’t remember what the “proposed” size for the units and cells were, but I’d say 5 seems about right, and you could use 1 block more on each side for a shoulder…

For realism you don’t want the jet engines hanging over the end of the taxiiway. Also need to leave room for the wings too. I use 3 wide for small, 5 wide for medium and 7 wide for large jets. To clear wing spans I allow 5 wide space for small, 9 for medium and 13 for large.

3 Likes

Used to maintain real airports.
There are standards for EVERYTHING.

For example, for a taxiway to be classed “C”, the center line to shoulder must be a minimum width, PLUS center line extending out a minimum width must be graded smooth with no protrusions above the height of the taxiway AND from the center line there is a further requirement to be clear of all obstacles however the surface need no longer be graded smooth.

A pavement / repair join may not extend more then 25mm (1 inch) vertically etc etc.

The a Class C aircraft can’t use a lower class of taxiway.

Is this meant to be an arcade game or a strategic management and construction simulator?
If you want unrealistic, then turn on sandbox, turn off simulate construction and leave us to play a realistic game with realistic limitations.

(This is supposed to be a tycoon)

It’s tycoon - so more on the business operation side, less so on realism like aircraft not clipping through each other.

Most tycoon games incorporate having to upgrade infrastructure in order to support bigger, more advanced (and higher grossing) units. Just as we accept the large runway and jetways as part of the tycoon, large taxiway paths fit just as well. You could also say that people building 1 wide taxiways to save money is not in the spirit of being a tycoon either.

That said, a big reason people build narrow paths is because of the map size restrictions, so I would hope that gets changed before this feature would be considered for implementation.

2 Likes

I mean, the game isn’t called Airport Tycoon. It doesn’t have to live up to all the “tycoon games” standards

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.