Terminal floors (levels) and jetways [selected for implementation]

Just a quick note… I do not believe that crossing belts must become obsolete right away. It’s not so difficult to design more complex belt systems in a typical hall… We’re not talking about a living apartment unit with 2,5m height, but a commercial multi-function building. :wink:

Yeah, from this point of view that’s true.

But if you do it that way, shouldn’t there be ways to build conveyor belts just underneath each other into the same direction in the same floor? Wouldn’t you need conveyor belts of different heights? Of course, you do not need to have it from a technical gameplay view … I’m just talking about immersion which is bound to be subjective.

This topic could be discussed in the thread of the conveyor belts.

They could fix it with a separate high belt and low belt. have a high-to-low piece in between and voila

Conveyor Belts That Cross

All true … don’t get me wrong. I’m just thinking about the right balance between immersion, realism, gameplay and a still user friendly interface.

I agree - i love the idea - however elevators is very important for transportation because on SA - they havent impented elevators yet so i would like see elevators on first thing on feature release

Because having multiple floors allows you to have a lot more terminal floor space for shops and restaurants. Adding to that, you could have service roads on the ground floor with all the baggage handling niceties out of the way of terminal space.

Adding to that, the ability of segregating passengers would be truely amazing, as it would declutter the departure hall, and also, passengers would be able to exit the airport faster, hence, get a better rating from them.

I am not sure if this was mentioned. But how the baggage will be handled if we will have another floor ? Now we have over and under belts. But if I will be building under belt baggage thing on the 2nd floor how it will go ? Directly to the bottom or only -1 floor from the current one ?
I am not sure if this was or is somehow discussed and considered… Bcs with current baggage system I am not sure we will be able to do the multi floor terminals.

I believe that in line with the current system when you do a overground to underground belt it would just go down one floor so if you wanted it to go down multiple floors you will need more slope parts.

But if I will be building under belt baggage thing on the 2nd floor how it will go ?

As far as I know there won’t be “underground belts” anymore when multilevel terminal get added. At least for upper levels. Not sure though, if underground will be an own level or if there still will be underground belts, e.g. for building outside the terminal.

You still need a underground/-1 floor belt to bring the luggage from check-in (usually upper level) to lower level (the baggage handling system). And you might want to hide the arrival baggage underground to allow people move freely, otherwise, the baggage belt will literally divide your secure zone into 2 separate area.

In real world, most terminal building will have at least 2 floors above ground and definitely underground tunnels and things like that. Larger airports will have a huge underground floor for various purpose.

Hello,

Just wanted to drop a quick update here. This feature request is, as we’ve mentioned in a few recent devlogs, currently paused due to passenger and baggage movement and rendering performance overhauls. We started working on multiple floors the instance it was selected for implementation but we quickly recognized that we had to deal with the performance impact of rendering large amounts of passengers as an extra floor not only will put a strain on rendering in general but also add a lot of extra physical space in which to simulate agents.

We’re making good progress on these improvements, by the way. Last devlog featured a screenshot where we ran 20k passengers at around 60 FPS in editor mode… well, a few days later (but in a dedicated build and not editor):

Something to note here is that, as always, this doesn’t mean that we’ll be able to run 40k pax in a large airport world since this is just a dummy space with no behavior enabled (except for random movement). It does however mean that running 10k pax in a large airport at 60 FPS is a much more realistic goal as running 40k of the current passenger implementation in an identical test world would average something around 0 FPS.

Passenger appearance will also get an overhaul with much better animations and in general a new, much better, visual style that matches the rest of the game.

Once we’ve deployed this improvement, work on multiple floors will commence again! :slight_smile:

We know that multi floors won’t be implemented before passenger and baggage movement and rendering performance overhauls which would take at least some months. But that doesn’t mean we can’t discuss ideas about multifloors :slight_smile:

• How many floors would be added? My idea would be 1 basement, 1 ground and 2 upper floors for initial. I personally think that there should be at least; 2 basement floors, 1 ground floor and 3 upper floors. So B2, B1, Z, F1, F2, F3. Basement floors should be able to go under every apron side objects including runways so players can connect terminals

• How should be the User Interface? Player should see the lower floors when building, maybe transparent? Player can see which floor is he working on? I don’t know any 2D games with 3D construction so I actually have no idea how it will be and I am excited to see what will come.

• What about baggage belts? When there are multifloors, “underground” belts will be disabled? Or they wil be there and every floor, belts will work in themselves? So if there are 4 floors (B1,Z,F1,F2) user can built 8 levels of baggage belts? Also how belt transfers in between floos will be?

• What about vehicles? Would be there car ramps?

• Would be there staff only stairs, elevators or lifts by marking these objects as “staff”?

• What about transit lifts, elevators, stairs? Lets say Z and F2 are secure area while F1 is not secure. Player can build a transit lift or elevator in between 2 floors? Or every stairs, elevators, lifts will make access in between neighbor floors only?

These are all I have been thinking until now. I can’t wait to see multifloors :smiley:

• Would be there staff only stairs, elevators or lifts by marking these objects as “staff”?

I guess you could just zone it as staff? :stuck_out_tongue:

Will there be escalators as well?

:+1:

Agree to this, but not your naming… :stuck_out_tongue:
At least ground floor should be “0” or “G” :wink:

Well, SA has a quite good solution, but it is far away from perfect.
I’d like to see a new concept, e.g. split screen or something else, giving me at least an idea about BOTH floors, the upper and the lower one, I’m actual working on…
Would be very nice, if devs would give us a sneak peek of their ideas/plans…

I’m quite sure Fredrik or Olof told earlier, that underground baggage belts, as existing now, are just a work-around and they will disappear with multifloors…
Nevertheless I’m curios about how transfer between floors could be managed…

Of course, we really need car ramps! So finally tunnels and bridges are possible!!! :wink:
And I really would like to hide my baggage bays in the basement… I need more space for planes and stands… :slight_smile:

But there should be any limitation, as some vehicles, e.g. stair trucks, are quite high. So I think any bridge or tunnel would need at least one empty floor above… So any basement road would need to be built on B2, not on B1, or something like this…

Don’t you think, this is more a question of zoning or architecture?

That would be really nice!! Especially combined with car- and baggage-transfer…

But to stay realistic, I think the initial phase of multifloors would be very simple, it will be a huge challange for pathfinding, anyway.

Nevertheless, let’s keep on dreaming… :wink:

I beg to differ. If multifloors are implemented as a single z-dimension on every object, it could be theoretically possible to have unlimited multifloors. While I still expect a limit to be put in place on how many multifloors you can have, it doesn’t force a certain “paradigm”. You can even have three basements if you want, like DXB T3.

What about baggage belts? When there are multifloors, “underground” belts will be disabled? Or they wil be there and every floor, belts will work in themselves? So if there are 4 floors (B1,Z,F1,F2) user can built 8 levels of baggage belts? Also how belt transfers in between floos will be?

SA uses “transfer pieces” to allow baggage belts to move between floors. I personally think we might need more advanced baggage pieces (belts crossing each other) in addition, so as to keep baggage handling somewhat neat and tidy.

• What about transit lifts, elevators, stairs? Lets say Z and F2 are secure area while F1 is not secure. Player can build a transit lift or elevator in between 2 floors? Or every stairs, elevators, lifts will make access in between neighbor floors only?

This might be a bit complicated, but here’s how I’d do it:

• Stairs and elevators would take their zoning from the lower landing, creating the required zone at the upper landing if necessary.
  • Elevators would have a “master floor” (the floor you first place it down on), and take their zoning from the master floor. Adding new segments of shaft above and below (like how runway exits are built) would also create the necessary zones. And a control panel like SimTower’s would let you “lock out” floors you don’t want the elevator to access.

So yesterday while I was taking a bath (I get lots of ideas when I get bath btw :wink: ) an idea pop up. You know some major airports have solid jetway bridges and some of them even have 2 bridges, 1 goes to departure hall and 1 goes to arrival hall. Example photos:

So would that be possible in ACEO? Theoritically it is BUT ONLY when player can build first floor while there is NO ground floor so game code has to give permission to player to build upper floors while there are no sub floors.

Wouldn’t that be amazing?

Well Jettuh did say air bridge connections were not possible on the ground floor with multi floors. Please don’t ask me to find it. It was over on Discord and trying to find things there is a nightmare for me. But yeah, they would be cool. That’s the kind of thing I have in my head for when they arrive.

i would love see elevators in - for vertical transport so example departures to transit floor would require elevator to skip floors that dont serve or locked off for pax
so its good idea to have different designs and speical doors etc to control flows around airport