The unbearable Art

What do you mean important stuff? stick to complete top view?

It looks creepy. Please don’t bring it to real world :worried:

My worried for 3d is how to make it simple and feature less. You know people don’t like uncanny valley face.

At the moment, dont bother doing anything about the view and how the people look. I feel this is due at a later stage or maybe in Airport CEO 2
I would spend time on bug fixing and implementing more stuff (hundreds of good ideas on the forum) to make a more complex airport and more challenges. I think this is a great game now, with lots of potential. (I get the feeling I have about sim city or civilization. I have played these games since the 90’s and they have focused on the core experience building a city/empire. Decades later with more powerful computers they have added nicer graphics and stuff, but still the old games are very good.

5 Likes

I totally agree. Gameplay above anything. I still love playing AoE or C&C,that is not because the graphics.

I don’t say that I think graphics are unimportant,but the artstyle just fine by me and only needs a little TLC,not a complete overhaul.

4 Likes

I think Factorio is a very good example on how to do it. First get all the ground systems working and add to them. Then after everything works and the systems are layed out, start converting all the graphics to higher resolutions but keep the option to scale down.

6 Likes

Well, I think the art will get a complete overhaul anyway. There are not much graphic in the game nowadays. Having a professional artist will make things really fast. I believe a complete overhaul would not need much time. Art style will have to be determined during hiring process.

Yeah, but you’re asking for a complete rehaul of the art style, but many here prefer keeping the art style but making it more … beautiful.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Unity and I can’t see the current game assets, but I think something like this could be implemented pretty easily.

Features:
All hairstyles are flippable horizontally to double the amount-- see: CEO and Procurement Director below for example.
(they could also be made colorable).

All features (hairstyles/eyes/nose/mouth) are randomizable for employees/passengers
Employee outfits are universal (will work for any gender/features)

Additional unlimited number of features (eyes/nose/mouth) can be easily added.
Suits/clothing could be made colorable/randomizable for board members/passengers

I think the current top-down models are fine and would work with these graphics.

"personApperance":{"genderType":2,"personClothingColor":{"r":0.0,"g":0.0,"b":0.0,"a":0.0},"personHairColor":{"r":0.03529411926865578,"g":0.0313725508749485,"b":0.02352941408753395,"a":1.0},"personSkinColor":{"r":0.874509871006012,"g":0.7058823704719544,"b":0.5372549295425415,"a":1.0},"hairTopDownIndex":0,"photoHairIndex":1,"headTopDownIndex":0,"photoFaceIndex":0,"photoEyeIndex":0,"photoNoseIndex":0,"photoMouthIndex":0,"photoClothesIndex":0,"footwearIndex":0,"hasColorableClothing":false},"employeeType":2,"stress":0.0,"logicTrait":0.6863526105880737,"pleasantTrait":0.7701150178909302,"technicalTrait":0.02927699126303196,"stressManagementTrait":0.7438920736312866,"currentActivity":0,"recentlyFailedActivities":[],"currentActionDescriptionList":[],"currentJobTaskReferenceID":"","jobTaskDistanceRetrievalPreference":0,"hasApplied":true,"isHired":false,"isWorking":true,"isPerformingJobTask":false,"isAtStaffRoom":false,"isAtJobTaskLocation":false,"headWearIndex":0,"employeeClothesIndex":0,"title":" Airport Staff",

2 Likes

I personally prefer the cartoon-y element. This looks so realistic that it becomes un-realistic. If that makes sense.

1 Like

I notice that in this post people prefer the original style. It doesn’t conflict with my stand on more cartoon-y stand and prefer not to have a completed top view. I just think top view is really no good and cartoon-y style is generally more doable 2d small budget game. Uncanny valley is one of my fear for most realistic style.

In my opinion, ALL of the other assets (airplanes, buildings, etc) are MUCH more “realistic” looking than the current people… which just makes the current people appear even more out of place.

Perhaps in the future, the people graphics will be moddable. That would be cool.

That is some very nice art.

Yes, they are doing it well. I enjoy the new graphics with the latest builds on the test branch.

Good work - that looks great

Just a bit… :smiley:

When I first came across ACEO, I was actually quite relieved to see they took a different approach to PA, RW, SA etc and went with a completely top-down view.

Whilst I love PA, it certainly triggers my OCD (that I don’t have) with some of the odd perspectives it brings, SA has the same issue, IMO, with some items having a perspective (chairs, bins, trees) and others not (planes and the bridge to the plane etc)

I mean, these prison doors make no sense (they are not in the same perspective as the walls), the dog crates… oh my…yeah…so many things wrong with this image alone, but it’s playable as is and very very fun.

Now, if it was like this… then that’s another story, I love this style.

But it’s not…

However, the current perspective works for me, I like it, more than PA, RW, SA etc. Yeah, it needs a bit more polish here there and everywhere and also some variety and detail, but that will come, with time, no doubt.

I LOVE isometric graphics for tycoon games, great compromise to full on 3D and would probably look great for ACEO.

No no no no no NOOO! Don’t make AirportCEO a 3D or 2 and a half D-ish game! These kinds of games look crap and all they focus is fancy graphics instead of gameplay

ACEO is good as 2D and it MUST stay in 2D. If you want a 2.5-ish D airport tycoon game go and play Simairport.

3 Likes

Yes. The art works and the style of the game is set. Let’s improve on it, not replace it.

2 Likes