This area contains too many elevators?

When did this start? I have an escalator that works fine prior to a recent update, then I delete it to trim down the number as I’m coming up against this new error message when I try to refine down the airport? Did I miss something? If so, why make this change?

We started getting reports on a few large airports where the pathfinding was struggling and not being able to keep up. Passengers were not moving since they were all standing and waiting for a path to be calculated, all at the same time CPU level was at 100%. Turns out that the number of escalators/stairs/elevators (transition items) have a direct link with the complexity of path. This gets worse really fast when you have multiple transition items as the algorithm need to process so many different path options.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this as we probably need to go back to the drawing board and scrap the current pathfinding logic. A simple solution was to reduce the number of transition items allowed per area which greatly reduces the strain on the CPU and increases FPS. The current limit is set to 30 items but we could consider increasing it or have a manual override for those who still want to build more with the risk of reduced FPS.

For example i tested two different saves, one had between 50-70 transition items per area and 4000 passengers. This save was struggling with low fps, agents waiting for paths and full CPU usage. Another save had between 10-15 transition items but with 8000 passengers and were running with no major issues.

1 Like

What’s the definition of “area”?
When every jetway stand has an escalator down for passenger separation, will this cause now issues?

An area is an enclosement where passengers and staff can walk within (including any outside area) without using elevators etc or security checkpoints . Areas are separated by floors and secure zone. The areas are what makes multiple-floor pathfinding possible. However, I do see a bug now which would actually trigger the warning too early so the next update should allow you to construct more escalators/elevators.

Depends on the design, sometimes it would not have an impact but on the lagged save, this was a contribution.

I might have been near 30, but when I deleted them down to start to shrink this number, it didn’t seem to recognize them being removed. I had something like 16 walkalators that were all deleted and nothing changed at all. I started deleting the double escalators and got something near 8, but it didn’t seem to recognize them being removed.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this as we probably need to go back to the drawing board and scrap the current pathfinding logic.

I envision a time in the near future where this is the reality. Sooner rather than later I hope.

I would be happy if you make it changeable in the gamedata.json for example so that experienced players or players with high performance PCs can adjust it for themself. Same as the map size.

1 Like

Unfortunately not, the current pathfinding solution is working very well in the absolute majority of cases for those 2000 to 3000 (currently) daily average players we have. I’ve written this on a few different places but it does not make sense for the studio and for the ACEO product at this point to go back and rewrite fundamental portions of the game that in most cases work very well. ACEO is by no means a perfect game and that should be reflected in its reviews and in its pricing.

Here’s my reply on the future of the studio beyond ACEO: Various DLC ideas - #9 by Olof

However, we could easily add an override option if you want that to allow as many transition items as before but then we cannot guarantee the integrity of the simulation - just like with altered maps! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Olof I practically begged you guys to let me throw more money at you. Don’t take away from what you guys have built by calling it cheap. It’s not. It’s an entirely new game. Of course it won’t be perfect. Didn’t ask for that. I have very much enjoyed this game. I responded to Alexander’s observation that it may be required. It saddens me that once this game is in full release that you guys are choosing to set it aside mostly. There’s a lot of room for growth and building out the maturity of the engine. I also understand that sometimes, things have to be brought to a close. The override option was actually suggested by no-fun. I’m all about having a game be relatively breakable of my own free poor choices. My concern though with the map I had was that the number of those points was something like 8, and I couldn’t put a staircase in to the next floor that had just had one. The patch corrected it, for which I am grateful.

1 Like

I’m still for the override option as otherwise I won’t be able to build my next XXXL airport. :frowning:

1 Like

We will add an override option for tomorrow’s release! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Olof how do I get poked fun at for building XL airports, but @andyc walks away with nothing after dropping a XXXL bomb? I don’t even try to build L airports anymore. I am growing, while it seems others may be going down the slippery slope to massive…

Haha, if the airport is well designed and the hardware hard enough, the game can make even very huge airports run very well. It’s lovely to see that there are ways by changeing the game files to make this possible. This makes the game worth to play for a longer time.

So far I had never an issue on oversized maps which could not be reproduced on a normal sized airport. And many reported bugs I was only able find by this stresstest. Specially for the pathfinding stuff. :slight_smile:

For the big number of average players it’s good to set some limits to prevent them running into high complex path breaking issues.
When they know how it works correct, they will find those options and then try them out until their computer reach the limit.

2 Likes

So now I have 17 gates nobody can reach…oh well, at least the game will run smoother for the newbies. I guess those of us who were here since the very beginning arent important anymore. Nice.

Override is in the gameplay pannel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does, significantly!

… which is why we added the manual override! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.