Airport CEO Mod Manager Discussion

Quite a long thread and nice tool :slight_smile:

I was thinking of forking the project to incorporate a database to use instead of those textfiles. The load time is a bit on the downside :frowning: Would you rather have it forked or do you already plan to add DB support to your tool?

1 Like

The program is created by @pderuiter so the best answer belongs to him.

Hey Teddy, thanks for the compliment :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure where exactly you would add db support.
I have an xml file for local storage, but after the initial load (which is still very fast imo) i only access it when you press the save button. Which is also very fast. And that is 1 xml file, while you talk about multiple files.
The program generates json files on the fly, but those are for the game, so no db support needed there either.
And we have the excel sheet that resides online. Granted, that might be something that a database backed website could have a benefit.
Then again, the excel sheet works fine as it is and acts more like a baseline. It allows us full control atm since we started having some trolling issues.

Tl;dr; Fine by me, but not sure what exactly you want to put in there :slight_smile:

When I tried the tool the first time I was a bit suprised and drawn back by the big data files. Ok, JSON is still smaller than XML ^^" So the DB was primarily due to data size reduction and driven by my professional web development background.

So I also thought of doing a website to collect and share the data. Although that would mean tremendous amount of data/traffic in terms of textures.

Loading all the data-files took a while, might be my system, but yea.

TL;TR: reduce the overall data footprint by introducing a relational database :slight_smile:

The biggest data footprint is the images for the liveries. Putting these in a database doesnā€™t help :slight_smile:

• The program itself is 330 Kb
  • The xml datastore is 840Kb
  • The images for 1100 businesses is 37Mb
  • The liveries (images + small json files) is 135Mb

As i said, be my guest and make a database backend (shouldnt be hard, i made a DataService Interface and an XmlDataService override, so making a db DAL would be done in a matter of hours tops), but putting almost 200Mb of images into a database wonā€™t speed it up :slight_smile:

My mod fleet is 138MB alone, and thatā€™s just the half dozen airlines and liveries I done. Admit, I do have more custom liveries than published to ACEOMM but just adding that the liveries can grow quite quick in the GB size.

Mine no-where as big as that :stuck_out_tongue:

Capture5

Thatā€™s normal because some of your livery .png file sizes were 25 MB :smiley: I literally felt pain when I tried to add them to the Google Drive thanks to my countryā€™s horrible network.

Also;

Admit, I do have more custom liveries than published to ACEOMM

:open_mouth: how could you? :open_mouth:

Copyright laws Iā€™m afraid. I donā€™t own the artwork EG so Iā€™m unable to submit to ACEOMM otherwise Iā€™d be breaking the law.

Is it because livery files donā€™t belong to you or you are afraid of that airline?

If the answer is first then let me contact with that designer. If the second one; Done you already made Qantas and Air New Zealand if these airlines wonā€™t sue you, no one else would.

Itā€™s the livery designs themselves. ANZ and Qantas Iā€™ve redone everything.

I see. I suggest you to contact with actual designer. If you want we can also be included.

Hi ! I cā€™ant see Europe shop and food when i play . Why ?
I can see only airlines companies .

Did you download the latest ACEOMM.7z and ACEOMM.exe from Google Drive?
Did you select ā€œEuropeā€ on ACEOMM menu or you manually selected Europe businesses?
What are the area sizes of food and shop areas?

@pderuiter god beware of putting images to a database. Kill those ppl who do it all the time in web projects. Reminds me of putting json blob data in single columns, just because of ERM ignorance. Damn those ā€¦

Yea, will think about it. Maybe having a website might be more feasible for me ā€¦ have to think about it ^^"

1 Like

Itā€™s the lord of the rings designs, impossible to redo from scratch , and we all know what movie companies are like regarding their workā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Awww come on do you think big companies will waste their time, money and human power to find the modder who made this? I bet smeone already made livery for FSX, Vatsim or IVAO.

Yup, you are right, @Rubble flightsim, avsim and loads of other flightsim web sites have downloads for the planes to play in FSX, actually I remember myself downloading one of them when I was playing FSXā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have activated the European MOD, but it do not seem that I do get any kind of airline contracts or other contractsā€¦

I got Construction and Fuel contracts but not real airline contracts as the mod should doā€¦

I only get contracts with the default companies not the modded onesā€¦

Ladies and Gentelment, I can announce that 162 brand new various types of restaurants are added to the ACEOMM. Have fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes