Where are you from, why do you like aviation, and how did you get interested in aviation?

I’m from Canada, I work at an airport as baggage system operator so that’s why I’m so interested in aviation but I got interested in aviation when I was younger when I had the game flight simulator x installed on my computer I loved flying in 737’s over time I started learning the proper take off and landing procedures which was awesome but my computer got toasted and never played since (when I was 12)

1 Like

You sound like you’re basically me but at the other end of the country :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Did you fly into Aspen or did you fly into Denver then Drive up to Aspen?

I flew into Aspen, though a lot of my colleagues flew via Denver. My routing home though is ASE - SLC - LAX - MEL. With really long transit times too :frowning:

1 Like

Well, for me, I’m from a northwest neighboring country of @daniel , I currently just finished my college studies in management.

I’m always fascinated by planes from the beginning, but interestingly I’m quite fascinated by props and turboprops more than jets. I was also quite interested in my country’s aviation industry (we used to export our own design of a military aircraft, though I forgot which type it was). Yet, I was never an aviation nut unlike my older brother (I do appreciate an aircraft though).

Why I’m interested in AirportCEO, funny enough, is not due to the aviation aspects, but the management aspects. I’m a sucker for management games.

1 Like

I’m happy that this thread has reached out to people from around the world. I only wish that more people were interested in telling their backstory of aviation.

Hi, my name is William and I am from The Netherlands. I have always been interested in aviation. I tried to be an air traffic controller when I was younger, but missed out in the final test. I then went to university and studied Information Technology and Business Information. After a couple of years in IT I started working for KLM (Royal Dutch) Cargo and later on for a sunsidiary of KLM, Transavia. First in Finance and later in IT. I left the aviation industry a couple of years ago after working there for about 15 years, but when I worked there I was fortunate to travel a bit around the world and visited several beautiful airports.
I love SIM games and I played a lot over the years and I am currently addicted to this one, even though it is in Alpha.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m from Germany. I’m a software developer and have no connection to aviation except the occasional flight to get to my holiday destination and back.
I like playing management games and was disappointed by a lot of those in the past years. It seems like most tycoon games etc. nowadays are more focused on the casual gamer and are missing a lot of depth and challenge :frowning: Or they are just successors of older games, with better graphics and not much else. So I’m happy to have found this game, which I like a lot so far and I’m excited about the further plans I’ve read about so far.

1 Like

I’m from the US. Got into aviation when I was a kid like most everyone. Got a degree in aeronautical science and my commercial pilot license. Got out of school during the economy crash and got a job in airport planning. Been doing it for almost 12 years now.

I was honesty interested at how a “game” sim would be compared to the industry modeling software we use.

I’m having fun now doing my job in my spare time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was born in a VERY small town in Mississippi, USA, though I spent most of my life in Atlanta, Georgia, USA (all parts… urban and suburban).

I first had interest in aviation when I wanted to become an air traffic controller. At the time, I was working as a 911 dispatcher which was like being an ATC on the ground. Because of all kinds of crazy circus hoops to jump through, I abandoned that dream.

Several years ago I took on some contracting work and I started flying quite a bit all over the United States. While I was into alliances to get the points and status, I wasn’t really an enthusiast until a took a job here in Doha, Qatar and flew Qatar Airways from Chicago. I flew in business class and though I had been in first class in the US many times, it was a whole other level! Now, I look forward to flying and have done many international trips since I moved here. I love airplanes, airlines and airports. The journey now is the best part of my trips.

1 Like

Hi, it’s Mehmet from Turkey (City of Eskisehir)

I studied “Avionics / Aviation Electronics” in university then worked for 5 years as an Aviation Electronics Technician at Anadolu Universtiy Airport/ Eskisehir-Turkey.

Then I quit my job and started to software/web design development.

I play economics simulator games (Tycoons) for years, from Raildroad Tycoon 1, Capitalism 1 etc.

1 Like

Didn’t see this topic around earlier, otherwise I would have introduced myself better.

I’m Patrick from the Netherlands and I have not that much in common with aviation. I find in rather fascinating how these little cities(read airports) process so many people and do it so efficiently. Next to that I fly fpv drones for a hobby,but not that much lately.

I’ve finished my bachelor degree in Urban Design a few years ago, but I have ended up as business manager in a supermarket.

I’ve always been into designing and managing games. I love to play Open TTD, RCT, SimCity and CS.

1 Like

I’m Tommy from a small town called Haugesund in Norway.

I have been interested in aviation as long as I can remember. I was in the Norwegian air force for one year, but only on ground :frowning: .

I love flight simulators (FSX) and have also been playing a lot of managing games RR Tycoon, Sid Meiers Rail roads, Sim City, Civilization, Air tycoon 1,2 and 3 +++. I have played these kind of games as far back as the early 1990s. (C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200 and finally PC and Xbox.

I worked for some year as purchasing manager at a regional airline and got a lot of inside information from there :slight_smile: . I have travelled a lot by air both in Norway, Europe, USA and China / Hong kong and love flying, especially long haul flights.

At some point I wanted to become a pilot, but I never follow through.

1 Like

Hey there everyone!

I’m Michael from Poland, currently working as an apron bus driver in Warsaw. While I never expected to work with airplanes, you can say I grew up with them. My parents lived in a garrison-like village next to KTW airport, back when it was still a mostly millitary airbase. My father worked with the millitary as a civillian employee. Our flat was maybe a kilometer from the terminal, and half of that in straight line from the runway so seeing millitary jets take off and land was more common then cars (early 90’s Poland, plus a semi-secure but otherwise middle of the woods place).

Thanks to my father’s work I had no problem in getting in various places around the airport whe you wouldn’t normally be let in. Apparently the roar of a jet fighter taking off was the only thing that really scared my child self. Sadly, the millitary moved out by the time I was 7 or 8 so I mostly have second hand tales of those times. I still do remember how windows could shake when a jet was taking off.

Other then that, planes sort of always just ‘were there’ in my life. My grans tells me that when visiting her, while other kids would always look up and point at a plane flying overhead, I’d just take a short glance and continue with whatever kid stuff I was doing.

But I do like looking at them up close. And to be honest, you need a certaint degree of fascination for aviation to stay in this job. I’ve seen most of the really shitty (figuratively and literally) jobs you can have with aviation handling (except working at the gate; gods bless those poor guys) and don’t see myself working anywhere else. Well, maybe another airport.

1 Like