Why planes leave without passengers

I had a problem with planes leaving without pax. First I thought it was a bug, but after searching the forum and didn’t find any topic about it I concluded that there had to be something wrong in my airport. So I spend many hours looking at my passengers. I found various reasons why this happens. Below you will find the results of my research. Please be aware that this research happened in various versions of the experimental branch. Some things could have been changed already.

Various possible causes :

1) Buses with passengers arrive at airport after check-in desks are already closed.
it seems like that passengers of the same flight arrive at the airport with the same buses. So when 1 bus is delayed you will miss a lot of passengers of the same flight. This delay happens when traffic outside your airport block each other. The solution is simple re-arrange your public roads and build more bus stops.

2) Not enough check-in desks
This wasn’t the case in my airport, but could happen to you. Every small stand needs one check-in desk and every medium stand needs 2. If there is enough time in between you can share the check-in desks between stands, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

3) Que of a check-in desks are not build
This sounds as a strange reason. In my airport I forgot to build the Que of two check-in desks. I found out that these check-in desks weren’t used. After building the que the check-in desks were used as every other check-in desk. It could be coincidence, but why risk it.

4) Not enough airport-staff
When you don’t have enough staff , you can’t man all check-in desks. Here happened something strange. The calculation of outstanding jobs in the game seems not correct for the airport staff. I had 11 boarding desks and 20 check-in desks. According to the game there was a maximum of only 20 claimed jobs and no shortage of staff. At some point I found the number of claimed jobs very low for the number of stands and check-in desks. So I hired more airport staff to see what happened. In no time the claimed jobs wend up to 30 and I had less flights leaving without passengers. So don’t always believe the calculations of the game and use also your common sense.

5) Check-in desks handle multiple flights who are scheduled too close to each other
In some cases when this happens the passengers of the 2nd flight just don’t seem to have enough time to check-in. This happens mainly when the first flight is delayed. It also happens when you have enough airport staff to man a separate check-in desk. It also seems to appear more to check-in desks that are connected to a baggage bay that handles a medium stand as well as two small stands (this could be again coincidence) .

I have no good solution for this problem. Ii seems like that when you have spare check-in desks it happens less. But it could be my imagination.

2 Likes
  1. Non functioning security checkpoints

Assuming you opened your secure zones in Operations panel; When your security checkpoints are open, but not manned, passengers can’t pass towards the secure boarding area; hire more staff.

1. Split security zones;

Airport CEO cannot handle split secure zones, make sure your secure zones are all reachable from each security checkpoint.

1. Staff delays due to security;

When your staff can not reach their post in time, they cannot perform their duty. Make sure your have “staff” security checkpoints. Common practice is a usage of small checkpoint for staff and the large ones for passengers.

Tip; have staff rooms within your secure area

1. To far away passenger or staff facilities.

Make sure all passengers have passenger facilities (toilets, food-stands, etc, nearby). When waiting they will leave your stand after reporting to it if they have to use passenger facilities. If they are on the other end of the secure zone, they have to walk there, and back. Also make sure such facilities are central in arrivals, the longer your passenger takes to reach check-in, the bigger the change the checking is closed already. Same goes for staff rooms, make sure they are near the post where they are needed. Also make sure they are big enough, so passengers or staff will be forced to walk further to have their rest or toilet break.

Tip; allow janitors in all staff rooms, so they are always spread out all over your airport in the morning when rush hour kicks in.

1. Low number of baggage carts.

When your passengers deboard your plane, they cargo has to picked up, when that is not done, the boarding process will not start. Procure more baggage carts!

I have the same issue. I have three terminals, one for small stands and two for medium stands. Each terminal has its own security zone. So, my problem is related to item 7.
The problem is that the small aircraft flights dont show up in the check-in desks. Is it necessary to have a cargo bay?

I have the same issue too RE PAX. Been bug reported and acknowledge as such. @Olof has said a fix will be coming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.