Airport CEO Alpha 34 released (The R&D Update)

do you have the airport open? Ive made that mistake before a few times :joy: @Kasee

My usually trick is not building an ATC tower.

1 Like

Yeah the airport is open

If it’s a GA airport, did you set it to always allow GA or open the runways? I made that mistake yesterday!

Its both. The GA is allowed

Yeah the planes that are schedule to arrive don’t land. When reload, a few will land and then the rest will not. Think I will have to stop playing the game.

Did you get any in-game notifications?

Did you started a new game or do you use a savegame from A33? The devs recommended in the first post to start a new game.

I have this issue as well when I use my old savegame. On new games I haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

As others have mentioned, the daily statistics emails seem to be comprised of random values, and make no sense, I have also had an issue with all GA aircraft operating at night, before night flights were researched.

As far as feedback on the new features goes, I love the ability to assign airlines to stands, it is awesome. The new airport rating system seems kinda meaningless right now, as the old system is still used for determining how many flights an airline will offer, and how much each flight will pay. As far as I can tell, the security fines are the only thing impacted by the new system.

Air Traffic Control
I don’t really like the way the towers now restrict the max daily flights to an airport. It doesn’t really make sense from a realistic standpoint, and it doesn’t give the player any way to interact with the system. Instead I would suggest restricting the max amount of active runways depending on tower size, and restrict the max amount of aircraft taxiing and in the traffic pattern depending on size.

For instance, a small tower can only handle 1 active runway, 5 aircraft in pattern, and 8 aircraft taxiing. If the pattern is full, any arriving aircraft will have to divert, lowering the airlines satisfaction (could also add a new ATC component to the rating system). If 8 aircraft are already taxiing any other aircraft that are trying to depart will be forced to wait on the stand until they can taxi, causing delays.

I think this would make more sense from a realism standpoint, and be a lot more interactive for the player.

On the topic of ATC, I think it should be an option with large towers to allow aircraft to land while their stand is still occupied by the previous flight, and hold at a specified location on the ground while waiting for their stand.

Passengers and Flights
I like that the airlines are now operating more realistic routes, however I am still disappointed with the distribution of passenger nationalities. Currently at mar small regional airport in Boston USA, most of my passengers are European and Asian, even though most of my flights are domestic or to Canada. Even in a larger international airport (at least in the USA, I assume that it would be true for flights within the EU as well) most of the passengers on a flight are from either the destination airport, or the origin airport, so in my example most of my passengers should be American or Canadian, with a handful from other countries. While this isn’t super important right now, it will be important when international flights are properly handled.

I would like to finish with a few questions, in the airline rating description it mentions that a higher rating is more likely to result in an airline making your airport a hub. Does this finally include connecting flights, and if so should connecting baggage be screened again? What else does/will an airline hub include?

Edit: Since you are re-balancing the economy, I think it would be a good idea to rework loans, and their repayment. Currently the repayment period is way to short for them to be useful in the early game, and by the time you could afford the hourly loan fee there really isn’t any need for them.

3 Likes

No notifications

I did use the save game

I completely agree with the fact that ATC should be able to land an aircraft and park it at an unoccupied or empty gate. There should be a feature where you can select the importance of that gate, say as that gate is occupied by an airline you wish to have high satisfaction for, or a gate that operates more flights than other gates.

Right now ATC does not have the ability to use any other gates as reserve gates, I wish you could mark them as reserve gates though.

Having a restriction to ATC is however realistic. In the US there are strict regulations involving ATC personnel which they have a limit to how many aircraft they can process at a time. I don’t believe that is unrealistic. I really hope we can see reserve gates coming along soon though.

I wasn’t saying that having any restriction was unrealistic, just the way it was implemented was unrealistic. While there are limits on how many aircraft a controller can control at any given time, it is not a daily limit, which is what is currently in game. There is a big difference between having an aircraft arrive at the airport every 10 minutes for 5 hours, and 30 aircraft arriving at once, even though both would result in 30 arrivals. This is why I suggested limiting the number of active runways and amount of aircraft in a traffic pattern instead of a daily limit for the tower.

2 Likes

Has anyone else placed down their taxiway and grass squares has show up??

Bug reported: ACEO-21282

Ok understood, I didn’t realize that that was so. Sorry about that. Yah in that case I agree about that point of matter, I think instead of daily allowance it should be an allowance at the given time.

No but I have seen loads of that sometimes brown spots appear when you demo something. Very annoying @Olof, pls fix those textures.

2 Likes

Figured I’d try out the new patch with an existing save, and I can’t seem to get flights to land.

Looking at the tutorial I seem to need a commercial flight license, but when I go into “projects” and try starting a new project, nothing shows up.

Thanks for the work on the update!

Has anyone figured out the new baggage system? I’m having issues with security alerts where dangerous items are getting onto planes. I have a full baggage scanning complement available, but I noticed my security agents operating the manual scanning machine aren’t at all competent despite being fully trained and having decent productivity rating.

They seem to let far too much contraband on while also destroying a lot of innocent luggage. Perhaps the issues have been taken too far in this direction? Too hard now instead of too easy?

1 Like

It seems like if the security officer operating the station has a low productivity, it makes the person more prone to make a mistake in checking a bag. Try lowering shift times for scanning stations so a refreshed officer is placed quickly. Placing a bathroom/couch will probably also help with productivity, as well as the R&D.

1 Like

Well that’s the issue. Looks like you’ll have to create a new airport.