Arriving passenger don't shop?

Hello, if i’m getting this right the Arriving passengers never use the shop?
They just go to the WC if needed, then goes to baggage and then away.

Some should visit a tax free shop on they way out :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In practice, very very few arriving passengers shop on arrival. You purchase from the duty free at your departing airport, they won’t allow you to purchase from your arrival airport.

3 Likes

There are definitely airports that allow arriving passengers to make duty-free purchases and place an emphasis on arriving passengers having a good shopping experience. This is very airport and country-specific. For instance, at OSL (Oslo, Norway) there is actually a very large duty free shop (which permits purchases on arrival) on the way to the exit (#29 below). You basically have to go through duty free to even exit the airport from many gates. I have a Norwegian friend who bought quite a few products every time she went home, given Norway’s substantial tax rates.

1 Like

Well, at my last airport, pax behaved like that.
Shops outside security checkpoint made huge turnovers, shops inside had very few customers. Same about cafés/restaurants.
Seems as if arriving pax have mostly fulfilled needs…
Fits to ACEO’s pax behaviour logic, as they try to fulfil their needs asap, and they are in the airport for some hours, before entering secure areas.

Not sure if it’s realistic, the airport’s I’ve visited are very different from each others. Has much to do, how many international/domestic flights are served.
But most bigger modern airport’s having comperable shopping areas inside and outside security, as I remember AMS, FRA, AUH, BKK, HND, HKG.
And I think in most of them it’s possible to go to (duty free) shopping in secure area, after arrival, but sometimes you have to find your way, as it isn’t intended by design/footpaths… IMHO… :slight_smile:

I did place a shop in the baggage area and departures however targets were never met as soon as i put food areas hell went loose so i guess passengers want food rather then shopping but nevertheless one two
Shops are handy

I put two shops next to the baggage area, a small one for 1* cafe and a bigger one for 5* cafe.
The 1* always reaches the target within short time. The 5* only once made it, but usually sells enough to avoid the penalty.
While some of the arriving passengers are going into the cafes, most customers are coming before security check, just entering the baggage claim area.

A 1 star food service in baggage reclaim area has massive lineups. I put in four cash-points to handle the demand. So food yes, but I don’t see them buying good. And in real life I’ve never shopped on arrival, but I have stopped for food.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.