BACK ON THE WORKSHOP: Manchester Alan Turing Airport - Large, Modern 52 Stand Satellite Airport

Awesome, did you play it?
:flight_departure:

1 Like

just WOW! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 Like

I for sure want to download that when A35 comes out!

1 Like

Some players have messaged me privately asking for an explanation of passenger flow in this complex airport. So below I’ve created a step-by-step guide to departing and arriving passenger’s journeys, with reference to passenger route and which floor is being viewed.

This example is for a passenger departing and arriving from any of the B gates (gates B14-B28).

Departures Journey

Passengers enter the airport either from underground parking, the set-down/pick-up car/taxi/bus area, or from the railway station. They head up the escalator.

The route takes departing passengers straight up to level 2, passing one of many staff secure zone entrance/exits.

On level 2, passengers can check-in, with either the manned desks or self check-in and self bag-drop. They proceed onwards to security.

After screening, they can bear left for the domestic departures lounge, or right to international departures. They take the escalator down to level 1.

Passengers pass immigration, and then onto duty-free shopping (which they’re forced to walk through, like many privatised UK airports!). These shopping areas are currently empty and are shown as shadowed.

Walking through the mall, departing passengers reach a central atrium, where they can either walk to international A gates (A5-A13), continue left, into the food hall, or take the escalators down for satellites B and C. Our passenger departs from satellite B, so will take the escalator down.

They reach level 0 and are guided straight down to level -1, where they reach an underground walkway; the departures filter.

Passengers walk along the underground walkway (with plans for walkalators to be added) on level -1. Walk halfway for B gates, or the full way for C gates.

Our passenger is departing from B gates, so takes this escalator up. The red arrows pointing up indicate the continued walkway to C gates.

Passengers are directed straight to level 1 from the departures filter, with two escalators.

Passengers reach Level 1 departures of satellite B, and can either take a seat at their gate, or take the escalator up to level 2 for business lounges.

Arrivals Journey

Our passenger arrives and is forced down to level 0 due to passenger segregation at the gate (the staff zoning), which is coming in Alpha 35.

Passengers walk along the corridor on level 0 until they reach the wood flooring where escalators down to the arrivals filter are located.

Arriving passengers make their way down two escalators, passing the departures filter above them, to level -2.

Passengers walk the length of the arrivals filter (again, to be installed with walkalators), until they reach escalators back up into the main terminal building.

The route forces arriving passengers straight up to arrivals on Level 0.

Arriving passengers alight at immigration, where they can use e-gates or traditional desks, can then choose to collect their baggage from the 10 international reclaim carousels, pass ‘customs’ (non-functioning), and then walk through the security exit. They can then leave via the railway station, by the car/taxi/bus lanes, or head down to level -1 for short-term parking, or level -2 for long term parking.

Hope this gives some clarity on the design concept for Alan Turing Airport!

5 Likes

Really impressive and detailed airport.

Do you think the pathfinder will cope with the elevation changes and the distance that they have to travel?

@Stu Cheers!

If you scroll to the top of this topic, I created a previous version of this airport design for earlier versions of Airport CEO. The pathfinding worked well, but vehicles were a nightmare (which is why I have created many more depots and service road routes in this Alpha 35 version), and it took a long time for passenger service agents to reach C gates (this is supposed to be rectified in Alpha 35). The planned self boarding gates will for sure mitigate this issue. I’ll be testing the airport when Alpha 35 drops to make sure everything works according to plan…

I look forward to the update as this would be my local airport

1 Like

Cracking review on a complex airport. Ever thought about a youtube channel.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it but my MacBook isn’t powerful enough to play my own designs smoothly. Somebody created a YouTube video of my first design, Coventry Airport, way back in Alpha 32. I would love to see people play and review this latest version of Alan Turing Airport on YouTube, with their powerful gaming computers!

2 Likes

How’s it feel to be famous?

1 Like

I watched that video long before I came to the forum. If this is the one you are talking about: - YouTube

1 Like

@Blackout Yeah that’s the one! Would be great if players created similar videos to this showing their experience of Alan Turing Airport. I’m also designing a new, smaller airport, which is an evolution of the design of Coventry Airport. Watch this space :star:

Awesome! If I could load this airport I would make a video, (also after I created a youtube channel) Yeah, but these airports are huge and incredibly detailed! Amazing job!

1 Like

@Blackout Thanks for the appreciation!

I don’t think he knew what auto planner was though. It was honestly sad looking at the flight planner. :frowning: But hey, your name is in the desciption!

1 Like

@Blackout I hold my hands up guilty as somebody who does manually schedule their flights :man_facepalming:

and yeah… I didn’t consider that back in the early days of my Airport CEO experience!

If feel really bad for you.

1 Like

Nevermind, Amar Johal is in charge of this airport!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

It is so weird looking at the video right now after all of the updates! I can’t play right now, however, because of this: Airport CEO Keeps Crashing