Bad Lag & Really Bad Error Msgs

So I have a brand new Macbook Pro 16" with 32GB Ram and enough processing power to run an air traffic control center.

I have been experiencing new lag issues lately (I am on 34.5-1) that I have not had before.

I did a couple experiments and wanted to pass the results along to see if they match up with anyone else experiencing a (or ‘the’) lag issue.

1. Does not matter…
    -What size airport
    -The number of stands
    -How many people or bags are in the system
    -How many shops or benches

2. THIS DOES MATTER
    -Working with walls (removal or placement)
    -Working with Zones. (removal or placement)

I could hav an airport with every square filled with an item and it runs 60fps just fine, except when I try to add, change or modify a zone or a wall.

NEW ERROR AND WARNINGS NOW APPEARING

I get this warning message anytime I try to ‘Zone’ or 'Wall’
Parent of RectTransform is being set with parent property. Consider using the SetParent method instead with the worldPositionStays argument set to false. This will retain local orientation and scale rather than world orientation and scale which can prevent common UI scaling issues.

THEN I GET THIS MESSAGE AFTER THE LAG STOPS
REFERENCE ALREADY EXISTS! THE UNIVERSE IS DOOMED! ||| STACK TRACE:

There is never anything past the semicolon.

It seems to me that this may give some headway into the lag issue.

I love the game and have played for hours and hours, but the lag is getting worse and I dont want to see this become an issue for the community.

Mark
Hawaii

2 Likes

The parent warning console message has been fixed in Alpha 34.5-2 which is now live on the experimental branch, as for the doomed universe message (lol) that’s something else for sure. Can you reproduce that in Alpha 34.5-2 and what exactly are you doing to reproduce it?

Thanks for the fast update (as usual with your guys)
I will keep the F9 window open and watch for it. I am on 5-3 this morning and plan on having several constructive hours of gameplay (‘i.e work’) this morning.

2 Likes

Were you copying rooms and stuff when these error messages happened?

I have not got that error lately - since 5-3. But I look at the logs occasionally and see if its there when I am lagging.

Ill keep you posted if I get it.

Well, I was building underneath the airport terminal with walls and conveyors and the message popped up and killed about 1000 wall and floor and road tiles throughout the map. All that work gone.

!

Were you using the copy tool or just building normally?

Just normal building - I had not used the template tool or anything. Just building conveyors on -1 floor

Okay, so you were building normally, conveyor belts on the -1 floor, and as you were building parts of the terminal above started disappearing and those logs were printed?

Can you recreate this?

So what happens is that I add a wall, then I get the spinning wheel (lag) for about 3 seconds. Then I add another wall and it lags again. Then I do something else (anything) and the lag continues after each time I do something.

It lags even if I delete a door or put in 1 wall block. The lag always starts when I am doing zones or walls. Then after I complete those, whatever I do has a lag after it.

Last night I was putting in high speed conveyors and I was building them, and not using the saved templates or the blue crete a template.

Now I will say I have a lot of templates. And using them has never been an issue. I have rooms (like bathrooms) and objects (like the bathroom itself that go over the room). I have always been able to use those without any problem.

I cannot confirm or make the game get that message even if I am copying and/or using templates.

Let me know if there is something else I can do for you.

By the way - that message (as you lol’d earlier) is great. Its the worst error message you can get in a game, so I dont know if that is Unity message or what, but it is great.

Mark
Maui

Haha, it’s one of our own. It’s an error message that theoretically should be impossible to be triggered, hence it’s unserious nature - we never expected anyone (including ourselves) to see it… but I guess anything is possible nowadays. It’s caused by two objects in the world having the exact same reference ID, which is a 32 character long string comprised of randomized characters and digits (i.e. 0f8fad5b-d9cb-469f-a165-70867728950e) used as unique identifiers for stuff, it’s like an IP address. Hence, the chance of two such being generated in the same game is next to theoretically impossible and not something that I actually think is happening, but that we instead have some other issue.

Can you bug report the save so we can test a little with it? And get back with the bug report number here.

2 Likes

Okay - a little more info now.
(By the way do you want me to send you my airport via zip or something so you can test with it?)

So I copied a section of walls and pasted it in a very bad place. That worked fine. So when i put the copy in the same place and use control to delete it, the lag starts. It takes almost 30 seconds to delete the wall section (or whatever it is I am trying to demolish (that I have copied)) and then it starts lagging on the little things again. Like adding 1 wall section, or removing a door, or really bad while adding a large zone area.
This time I did not get the error message, but it is lagging now and Ill have to stop and reload the game to fix it.

Other things I have noticed regarding the json files that are stored for the save. If you look at the log files when I open a brand new airport with nothing, it will say that it reconciled 14 Zones, 139 paths and 36 employees and a bunch of stuff that I know I dont have in the airport yet because I haven’t hired anyone. (The numbers are not right, but the message is)

Anyway - Let me know if there is anything I can do (Ill submit the bug) I like working with you guys on this game.

1 Like

Let us know the bug number and we’ll check it out! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the support - you guys are great.
ACEO - 22710

2 Likes

Thanks! We’ll check it out tomorrow!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.